Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defacing my property? Not providing a service? :(

Options
  • 22-02-2011 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭AMPSound

I was clamped by NCPS today - it was a slight misunderstanding on my part, so yes, I do admit that I was in the wrong and the clamp was deserved. But that's not the issue.

I rang NCPS's 0818 number, and paid the €120 release fee by card. When I got back to the van, I saw these:

NCPS2.jpg

They had removed the clamp, but had left the stickers.

Before I continue, I will say that I am just being a pedantic dick about this - but just humour me for a sec... I was having a really bad day (clamping being the least of my worries) and this was a way of venting my anger!!!

So I rang NCPS again and told them that although I had paid the release fee, they had not released my vehicle. Yes, they had taken the clamp off, but it would have been unsafe (and probably illegal) for me to drive with the stickers on my window for lack of visibility reasons.

Yes, I could have peeled the stickers off myself, but one of the stickers stated that:

"Any interference or damage to the wheel clamp or NCPS company property could render you liable to an additional charge of €500 and possibly criminal damage charges".

The sticker was not mine. The sticker is "NCPS company property". I certainly could not damage that!!! :P

The clamper came out 20 minutes later and pulled up beside me. Quite ignorantly, he rolled down the window and said "You are unbelievable". Granted, I was being an ass by calling him back to peel a sticker off, but I wanted to prove a point. He stuck his hand out his window and ripped off the two stickers. I was left with this:

NCPS1.jpg

I asked him to remove all the sticker and he told me he did not have the tools to do so. He said he would come back tomorrow with the tools and do it! Then he drove off.

Unsatisfied that my window was left the way they found it, I rang NCPS back. After 10 minutes on the phone, I was told that management would ring me in the morning. Cool.

So my issues are:
    1. I paid them for a service (the service of releasing my vehicle) and this service was not delivered.
    2. They defaced my personal property by leaving sticker residue on my window.
    3. They caused me to be late for my "very important appointment" because I could not drive my vehicle after their sloppy release.

As I said earlier, I am just picking a fight and being an ass! But, I can't help but notice that a few consumer laws are definitely being broken there! So really, all I want to know is how much I can take the piss out of this? At what point will I have gone too far (if not already)? Or do you think I should keep messing with their heads and get a refund on the sloppy service they provided!!! At the end of the day, €120 is better in my pocket than theirs!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

That has cheered me right up. At least I know now that I'm not the only one that picks fights for entertainment on a bad day.

I'd go as far as I could with it, to be honest. Look into exactly what laws are being broken. Tell them it was sloppy service, and you want a refund. What do you have to lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭AMPSound

What do you have to lose?

Other than a million quid a minute for their 0818 number, nothing!!!!

It started out as a "let's take my bad day out on NCPS" kinda thing, but then I realised that I actually may have a case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Ahhahaha that made me smile, what happened OP? They come back?

Shock - no phone call from management today!

But I will give them a buzz tomorrow and stir some!

Will keep ya all posted, cos I'm kinda having a bitta fun with this one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

AMPSound wrote: »
    1. I paid them for a service (the service of releasing my vehicle) and this service was not delivered.

You do not pay them money for a 'service', the money you pay is a fine for parking illegally following which they take the clamp off your vehicle, this being the lesser of two evils, the other one being that your car is towed to the pound which would cost you a lot more.

The stickers on your windscreen are put there for your benefit, the alternative being that without them there is a risk that you will attempt to drive off and cause damage to your vehicle.

Sorry but you don't have a leg to stand on pursuing this perceived grievance. If you do pursue it they will probably log you as an troublesome asshole and next time they see your car illegally parked they will have you lifted and towed away, that way they'll avoid the problem of annoying you by putting stickers on your windscreen but you'll pay about three times the regular clamping fine and have to pick your car up at some remote pound.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

coylemj wrote: »
    Sorry but you don't have a leg to stand on pursuing this perceived grievance.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that myself.

The stickers were put there for his benefit, fair enough, but it's not his fault that they cannot be easily removed. That would be the fault of the clamping company. I would say that the clamping company are responsible for restoring his car to the condition it was in before they applied whatever apparatus and warning signs/labels. If they are unable to do this, I would be making extensive notes, pictures, and records of conversations with people.

The OP is not to know what substance is used to affix these warning stickers to his car, and he himself could end up scratching the glass if they are so attached that they cannot be easily and quickly removed.

The fine was paid, therefore I would argue that the clamping company have an obligation to ensure the warning stickers are completely removed leaving no residue, and ensuring no damage is done to the window during their removal.

Alternatively, we could just all learn how to pick the clamping locks, which I don't believe is illegal:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

A private company do not have the authority to fine anyone. The money paid can only be described as payment for the removal service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I was clamped by NCPS today .......l.

So my issues are:
    2. They defaced my personal property by leaving sticker residue on my window.
    3. They caused me to be late for my "very important appointment" because I could not drive my vehicle after their sloppy release.
    • You do not pay them for a service, the local council do. They run and administrate the clamping service for the council. Paying the fine is not a removal fee, there is no contracted service.
    • By parking illegally you gave them permission to label, clamp or tow your car away.
    • You caused you to be late for your appointment, by breaking the law, take responsibility for your own actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

psni wrote: »

The stickers were put there for his benefit, fair enough, but it's not his fault that they cannot be easily removed. That would be the fault of the clamping company. I would say that the clamping company are responsible for restoring his car to the condition it was in before they applied whatever apparatus and warning signs/labels. If they are unable to do this, I would be making extensive notes, pictures, and records of conversations with people.

The OP is not to know what substance is used to affix these warning stickers to his car, and he himself could end up scratching the glass if they are so attached that they cannot be easily and quickly removed.

The fine was paid, therefore I would argue that the clamping company have an obligation to ensure the warning stickers are completely removed leaving no residue, and ensuring no damage is done to the window

Yeah I fully agree with this! They put the stickers there to warn you that you have been clamped, but once you see the clamp and pay the fee then they should remove everything that they put on the car and return it to its original condition!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

• You do not pay them for a service, the local council do. They run and administrate the clamping service for the council. Paying the fine is not a removal fee, there is no contracted service.
    • By parking illegally you gave them permission to label, clamp or tow your car away.
    • You caused you to be late for your appointment, by breaking the law, take responsibility for your own actions.

Was it not on private property?

k_mac wrote: »
    Was it not on private property?

Yeah - it was private property and a private company - so I don't know where people are getting "fines" and "council". NCPS cannot fine me!

Got a phone call just now from management, and she just asked why I was unhappy. I told her everything I told you guys, and she said she would ring me back later!

I will keep ya updated!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I like it OP. Keep us updated plz.

Oh and do you need a lend of an angle grinder for that other project? The one that does not involve removing clamps from your car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

I've dealt with the company through work and I have to say, I'm surprised you got a response from them today. I was calling them for weeks and never got a callback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ValerieD

psni wrote: »

The stickers were put there for his benefit, fair enough, but it's not his fault that they cannot be easily removed.

Warm water and soap is all it takes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So what? That is not the point here at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ValerieD

So what? That is not the point here at all.

Never said it was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

As I said earlier, I am just picking a fight and being an ass! But, I can't help but notice that a few consumer laws are definitely being broken there! So really, all I want to know is how much I can take the piss out of this? At what point will I have gone too far (if not already)? Or do you think I should keep messing with their heads and get a refund on the sloppy service they provided!!! At the end of the day, €120 is better in my pocket than theirs!!

The European Court of Human Rights is probably a step too far!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

Any update, AMPsound?

Any update, AMPsound?

No unfortunately not. They are getting a letter this week.

And I may hit up the small claims court if that fails! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

AMP sound

Please please please keep us up to date with this, the idea of annoying those who bring so much unnecessary grief onto others (in particular the private companies) brings joy to my soul.

strike one back for the little guys against the bully.

I find it so ironic that those that hide behind the rules dont like it when they are expected to follow their own rules.

Small claims court is a great idea !!!

Shelflife wrote: »
    AMP sound

Please please please keep us up to date with this

I certainly will! I already have the draft of a "I won" post written up!! :P

Stay tuned! Sorry for the delay - but it's just one more thing we can blame on NCPS!!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

coylemj wrote: »
    You do not pay them money for a 'service', the money you pay is a fine for parking illegally following which they take the clamp off your vehicle, this being the lesser of two evils, the other one being that your car is towed to the pound which would cost you a lot more.

The stickers on your windscreen are put there for your benefit, the alternative being that without them there is a risk that you will attempt to drive off and cause damage to your vehicle.

Sorry but you don't have a leg to stand on pursuing this perceived grievance. If you do pursue it they will probably log you as an troublesome asshole and next time they see your car illegally parked they will have you lifted and towed away, that way they'll avoid the problem of annoying you by putting stickers on your windscreen but you'll pay about three times the regular clamping fine and have to pick your car up at some remote pound.

NCPS are a private company and they are operating on shady legal ground as it is by clamping, once they move someone car it's theft and there's no gray area there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Conincidentally, the Law Society Gazette featured an article discussing the legality of clamping this month - very interesting. The Gazette can be found here - see page 30.

Conincidentally, the Law Society Gazette featured an article discussing the legality of clamping this month - very interesting. The Gazette can be found here - see page 30.

Unfortunately I can't open see that page on the iPhone, but I will check it out as soon as I get to the computer. Thanks for the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Written by one of our esteemed mods I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

ValerieD wrote: »

And where exactly do you get warm water and soap in a car park?

ValerieD wrote: »

And what happens if your warm water and soap damages NCPS company property and you are then liable for criminal damage? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Interesting. How do I use this to get them to remove the clamp, if I'm ever clamped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Any update OP?

Advertisement