Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's the Fun in Swords

Options
  • 22-02-2011 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

Im moving back to Swords for the first time in nearly six years because of the recession bla bla bla.

Normally when I go home to my folks for the weekend its just to chill out and the most I will do is go for a walk or have a look in the shops. So I am completely at a loss on how to entertain myself, I have no friends in Swords anymore bar one who has moved home because of the recession too.

Its great that there is a cinema and my parents have a family membership in Alsaa but apart from that I have a feeling I will be really bored, im not used to having to travel for entertainment either. The thoughts of the Nitelink and 25 quid taxis home are scaring me.

So wheres the fun these days? Im 28, im not mad about big nightclubs like the Wright Venue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Split from the 'Off-Topic' thread. Worthy of its own thread.

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Lux23 wrote: »
    Im moving back to Swords for the first time in nearly six years because of the recession bla bla bla.

Normally when I go home to my folks for the weekend its just to chill out and the most I will do is go for a walk or have a look in the shops. So I am completely at a loss on how to entertain myself, I have no friends in Swords anymore bar one who has moved home because of the recession too.

Its great that there is a cinema and my parents have a family membership in Alsaa but apart from that I have a feeling I will be really bored, im not used to having to travel for entertainment either. The thoughts of the Nitelink and 25 quid taxis home are scaring me.

So wheres the fun these days? Im 28, im not mad about big nightclubs like the Wright Venue.

what kind of thing do you like doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Swords has plenty of bars. The Venue is great at weekends and Old Wrights during the week. Some great restaurants around as well (and plentiful), though still missing a Mexican (but that's a particular favorite cuisine of mine)

As you say we have a cinema as well. There are also plenty of local clubs of every nature (sports, drama etc..). Loads of volunteer groups who do some great work in the surrounding area.

It really all depends on what you want to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

tbh wrote: »
    what kind of thing do you like doing?

I suppose that doesn't really matter, I just want to know of any any groups that I could join where I could meet new people. I would be interested in volunteering but can only do so in the evening because of social welfare rules etc.

If I want to go to the pub I can always go into town so thats not really an issue so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Lux23 wrote: »
    I suppose that doesn't really matter, I just want to know of any any groups that I could join where I could meet new people. I would be interested in volunteering but can only do so in the evening because of social welfare rules etc.

If I want to go to the pub I can always go into town so thats not really an issue so much.

http://www.volunteerfingal.ie/

Excellent starting point. They are very proactive and try to match you to suitable positions that relate to your skills and/or interests.

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Would you be into hockey? Swords have a team. Website not working for me though.

You could organise a Dublin County North beers in Swords. ;)

Larianne wrote: »
    Would you be into hockey? Swords have a team. Website not working for me though.

You could organise a Dublin County North beers in Swords. ;)

I played it in school, not sure its something I would pick up again in a hurry.

Advertisement