Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books: best history of wine?

Options
  • 22-02-2011 3:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

I'm very interested in finding out more about the history of wine, in particular wine routes across Europe, the impact of taxation, war and political change on the fortunes of particular wine regions and so forth. I'd like to find out more about money/credit markets on continental ports which allowed merchants to purchase wines and the distribution networks used by the wine industry.

I suppose I'm looking for a book which does for the history of wine what Gombrich's Story of Art did for art history. I'm not looking for a wine guide. Would any of you have any recommendations?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 whelehanswines

Hi,

Have yet to find the all encompassing book that will deal with all the areas you hope to cover. It might be worthwhile investigating the Story of Wine by Hugh Johnson and for an intriguing spotlight on Bordeaux, which of course is one of the wine epicentres, What Price Bordeaux by Ben Lewin.

Advertisement