Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on VDSL

Options
  • 22-02-2011 4:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Quick one for ye chaps and chappettes, this may have been asked before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-high-bitrate_digital_subscriber_line#Ireland
    Eircom is to trial VDSL at speeds of 60 Mbit/s in November or December 2009. There have been no official public statements yet but the Dundrum exchange will be part of the trial. It is planned to launch the service in 2010 for some exchanges.[18]
    Note: Eircom began testing in March 2010, and expects roll out of services to the general public in September 2010

I know, its wikipedia, which I wouldn't 100% trust, but how true is this?
    Did trials actually take place, and am I silly to expect to see VDSL become more widespread?

Cheers,
    Mick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

roast wrote: »

Did trials actually take place, and am I silly to expect to see VDSL become more widespread?

Cheers,
    Mick.
    Hi Mick
    Trials did take place to extend our current FTC trial to Dundrum and Stillorgan but will check this out for you. For now you may be able to get more info here
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Hi Mick
    Trials did take place to extend our current FTC trial to Dundrum and Stillorgan but will check this out for you. For now you may be able to get more info here
    Tony

Hi Tony,
    Cool stuff, any further info would be greatly appreciated. :)

Cheers,
    Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Cheers,
    Mick.

Hi roast,

Thanks for your query and apologies for the delay responding.

I'm pesonally not aware of of this trial, although it's quite possible that trials are ongoing. Wikipedia is good for some things, but as you say yourself, you can't take it all for granted. Eitherway, operational matters are obviously taken at a different level. You can take it that most of the larger telcom's will be testing *sdsl or vdsl, as well as other broadband, hardware, software, etc..

I'm not sure it will enhance your query by calling into Broadband Support, though if you wish to call them directly, see below :

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); hrs : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun)

If I can help with any other issue let me know.

All the best
    Ant

Hi guys,

Any further information on this?
    Unfortunately the representative I spoke to over the phone could not comment on the VDSL plans.

Cheers,
    Mick.

Hi guys,

Any further information on this?
    Unfortunately the representative I spoke to over the phone could not comment on the VDSL plans.

Cheers,
    Mick.
    Hi roast
    Have chased this with the relative Broadband departments but there is no update as yet. We will make available any information on this issue as soon as we get it.
    Basically the trial are ongoing and therefore no real information to release as yet.
    Tony

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Hi roast
    Have chased this with the relative Broadband departments but there is no update as yet. We will make available any information on this issue as soon as we get it.
    Basically the trial are ongoing and therefore no real information to release as yet.
    Tony

you should be rolling it out at this stage!
    I read about a test being done last year.

suggestion: do another trial in Drogheda for VDSL.

whats the delay in rolling it out?

ingen wrote: »
    you should be rolling it out at this stage!
    I read about a test being done last year.

suggestion: do another trial in Drogheda for VDSL.

whats the delay in rolling it out?

Hi ingen
    Thanks for your suggestion. As you may appreciate the roll out of new network infrastructure requires not just the physical laying of new cable but the involvement of local council and planning.
    Testing was and is still being carried out and only when all information has been assessed will we know when this will be done.
    We will post any information we get on this here.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Hi ingen
    Thanks for your suggestion. As you may appreciate the roll out of new network infrastructure requires not just the physical laying of new cable but the involvement of local council and planning.
    Testing was and is still being carried out and only when all information has been assessed will we know when this will be done.
    We will post any information we get on this here.
    Tony

local council and planning is the easy part, eircom have already cables running along under footpaths already.

it is shocking the state of the infrastructure in this country, what were eircom doing for the last 10 years? apart from being sold and resold?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Some limited information, here.

Cheers for the info Tony, and thanks for the docs NewHillel.

Any further info in the future would be greatly appreciated.

While the trial is ongoing, are eircom leasing the cabs to other OAO's for use?

Cheers,
    Mick.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the info Tony, and thanks for the docs NewHillel.

Any further info in the future would be greatly appreciated.

While the trial is ongoing, are eircom leasing the cabs to other OAO's for use?

Cheers,
    Mick.

Hi roast
    Do you mean cabs under testing? No not to my knowledge.
    Tony

Hi Tony,

Aye, the cabs that were under testing. Thats cool.

Any further update on it all? With BT's FTC cabs still lying around, it'd be nice to see some company rolling out a nice new DSL platform.

Cheers,
    Mick.

Hi Tony,

Aye, the cabs that were under testing. Thats cool.

Any further update on it all? With BT's FTC cabs still lying around, it'd be nice to see some company rolling out a nice new DSL platform.

Cheers,
    Mick.

Hi Mick,

Apologies for delay getting back to you. I don't have anything more on this at the minute. Tony, my collegue, was looking into this and if he gets any further updates he's post it up here.

All the best,
    Ant

Cheers Ant and Tony,

Any info would be great. What feedback have the Trial customers given?

Also, I highly doubt you would need any planning permission at all for FTTC cabs, given their size. I thought Eircom only had to seek permission for medium/large size cabs?

For those randomly browsing the thread, the cab on the left in the following pic is an FTTC cab. Very small. http://staging.trefor.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/cabinet_small.jpg

EDIT: What manufacturer supplies Eircoms cabinets? I know I found that info on the Wholesale website before, but i can't seem to find it now...

Cheers!
    Mick.

Cheers Ant and Tony,

Also, I highly doubt you would need any planning permission at all for FTTC cabs, given their size. I thought Eircom only had to seek permission for medium/large size cabs?

For those randomly browsing the thread, the cab on the left in the following pic is an FTTC cab. Very small. http://staging.trefor.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/cabinet_small.jpg

EDIT: What manufacturer supplies Eircoms cabinets? I know I found that info on the Wholesale website before, but i can't seem to find it now...

Cheers!
    Mick.

Hi Mick,

Thanks again. I will need to look into query abit. Tony is back on Tuesday and I'll check this with him.

Have a good weekend and talk with you soon,

Ant

Anything more for me gents?

Cheers,
    Mick.

Cheers Ant and Tony,

Cheers!
    Mick.

Hi Mick
    Tests went well and latest information is that the proposed Fibre to the home technology (FTTH) offering speeds up to 150Mb is to be rolled out to some areas in Sandyford and Wexford later this year. We hope this does lead to a much wider roll out.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

FTTH is probably the only thing that could keep Eircom afloat, Eircom would need to rewire the nation to offer any competition to UPC.

Advertisement