Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02 - Internet sharing with PC - Watch out !

Options
  • 22-02-2011 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Here is the story;

Me and my wife have o2 phones on a iPhone price plans 60e and 100e. Time to time I was using my phone (60) to share the connection with my laptop. Never had any problems as I have a 1GB allowance.

My wife saw me one time and thought its a great idea not to look in to small phone screen but to have it on a laptop. Ive set up connection for her and ....

She got a bill for 240e within 2 days and internet disconnected with a text message saying that it was cut off due to high bill....

I was in total shock. Called the o2 straight away to sort it out. What I have been told...

My 60e price plan has a data allowance of 1GB and I can share this with my computer, my wife has no limit on a data but she can't use a mobile as a modem to a computer.Because we had signed up a while ago we where on a old contract rules. Present contract gives 1GB in all price plans and sharing connection is allowed.

Now I've said its just unfair as we have never been told that. Customer service told me then that I should read the contract then;) Well I thought there is no difference between 60 or 100 e price plan I was even thinking that they both have same limit of 1GB each. If I only knew I wouldn't share the connection! Generously, supervisor cut my bill to 120 e. But why should I pay this any way ? I got a 7.5GB data bundle straight away over the phone and the amount of mb my wife used should be deducted from that bundle. I also think that when o2 have realised that there is something wrong and bill is reaching 250e they should set me automatic 1gb bundle and count the data of so I can avoid paying 250e. The only thing they did is to charge me and then advised me to get a bundle.

Id like to get some advise for you, what should I do now. Do I have any wrights to fight with o2 or just pay them and when contracts ends change a network ? Because I'm just a bit sick of o2 and their attitude towards the customers.

Regards
    Michael

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

You can plead your case again with them but no you have no rights. Also no network can add anything to a customers account like a data add on without a request from the account holder for two reasons: 1) it would be illegal to alter an account for individual customer without their consent (this is different to altering price plans) and 2) with the amount of customers they have it would be impossible to monitor when add on were to be added and then taken off again (what if you had the add on automatically added but the following month never used any data and again were charged for that add on)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭O2_Sheena

Hi FifthGear, what Walkman has said is correct in that we are unable to alter your account without your permission but I know it seems unfair. You are on a newer version of our Smartphone plan which covers both mobile internet usage and broadband/tethering usage, whereas your wife's plan only covers mobile internet usage. If she likes she can update her plan to a newer version rather than having an extra data bundle, but she would have to recontract for this updated plan. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FifthGear

O2_Sheena wrote: »
    Hi FifthGear, what Walkman has said is correct in that we are unable to alter your account without your permission but I know it seems unfair. You are on a newer version of our Smartphone plan which covers both mobile internet usage and broadband/tethering usage, whereas your wife's plan only covers mobile internet usage. If she likes she can update her plan to a newer version rather than having an extra data bundle, but she would have to recontract for this updated plan. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more information.

Hey

Thanks for answers. But how is this possible that my wife has an 'older version' of the price plan when she has upgraded from 60e price plan to 100e 12 months ago so 6 moths after I have signed up for my first one 18 months contract. Does that make sense ??;) I have a newer version and my contract ends on march and my wife's on July and my wife is on older version ;) Its just a bit complicated to me;)

Regards
    Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

All carriers are scumbags that shaft their users, but o2 are among the worst. As if paying through the nose wasn't bad enough they also port-block pretty much everything on their network. Just switch.

Same thing happened to my brother last year btw, he got them to waive the extra charges somehow (he had actually paid for internet addon, but wasn't using the apn).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Just leave O2. Simple as. Only network charging for using the internet that you paid for already. How scabby is that.

I got my 1GB allowance on Meteor for 25 quid a month with 200 c/t and free calls and texts to meteor.

I tether internet alot when traveling and never got told anything about it. I pay for it so i choose how i want to use it.

• Advertisement

I get 10GB a month from meteor for e25/month, why you got so little?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

You have the add on? Mine just comes with the bill pay lite plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

srsly78 wrote: »
    All carriers are scumbags that shaft their users, but o2 are among the worst.

The are the worst, if your paying for data your paying for data, it should not matter how you use it, just another example of o2 gouging.

OP leave and never look back, your both getting ripped off anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

srsly78 wrote: »
    All carriers are scumbags that shaft their users, but o2 are among the worst.

Please keep to posting the facts or posts will be removed. If you dont like a certain network, point out why or what charges they have. Dont undermine your point but calling them names!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FifthGear

Well

I sent a PM to O2_Sheena and would be glad if she could help. Lets wait for a response before going further.

My bills for 2010 where 2900e ! to o2 so I feel cheated now. And if there will be no help form o2 I will take my both numbers to other network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

FifthGear wrote: »
    Well

I sent a PM to O2_Sheena and would be glad if she could help. Lets wait for a response before going further.

My bills for 2010 where 2900e ! to o2 so I feel cheated now. And if there will be no help form o2 I will take my both numbers to other network.

I had the same problem with vodafone, but I contacted them and they sorted the bill out no issues

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 fproviders

Meteor offers good deals on mobile Internet and they are cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

FifthGear wrote: »

My bills for 2010 where 2900e ! to o2 so I feel cheated now

That's an average bill of around 240pm:eek:, I couldn't run up that amount if I tried.

I'm a pretty heavy phone user and my bills for 12mts came in around 850e, you really need to shop around and take a good holiday with the savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Just go to three and run 2 i phones with 4gb of data allowance for €80 a month.

Davy wrote: »
    Please keep to posting the facts or posts will be removed. If you dont like a certain network, point out why or what charges they have. Dont undermine your point but calling them names!

Here you go boss: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4436079/welp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Wowsers, that's a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭scholes

Pity you joined 02 - they must be one of the most if not most expensive networks out there. I work in a large organisation and I have never seen as many people either join meteor or three over the last few weeks. They must be losing customers in droves. I was in city centre today looking at smart phone options and e-mobile looked good. they were offering 2 gigs 300 mins and 300 texts for around 45 euro as far as I know. Data allowance with 02 is only 500 mb? What a joke . And you get the same old story - customers never use 500 mb! What if you use a radio ap! You would easily go over 500 mb a month! Anyway hope things work out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

read the Ts&Cs.......

Advertisement