Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reducing Noise Between bedroom Studded Walls.

• 22-02-2011 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

:confused:Hi Folks, Have a fairly new house, the usual wooden frame. Now between the upstairs bedrooms there are basically studded partitiion walls. I am thinking to rent out the single room beside mine BUT you can hear EVERYTHING through it. Rustling plastic bags, Phone conversations perfectly. Many of you who bought new houses will know all about this lol.
    Is there a Convenient way to at least reduce the sound travelling without a huge mess and cost? The single room wall that joins my room is about 8 foot in lenght. Just one wall. Im not talking a big Sound proof job here, say just enough so the person in the other room doesnt hear every rustle and groan ya make ! Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭centre half

The only thing I can think of is; get someone to build wardrobes into either room along the length of that wall. I understand that you may already have built in wardrobes but this will reduce noise pollution a good deal and all you will have to do (hopefully) is just rearrange your room layout. I think this would be the cheapest way and I hope this helps.

P.S. Moving someone into a spare room in your own house could prove to be more of a hardship than it's worth. Some people have become almost prisoners in their own homes because of this. Choose your occupant wisely. Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭p15574

I don't know anything in this area, but what about something like knocking a small hole in the partition and filling the entire wall from there with some of that (fireproof) insulation granule stuff used to fill external cavity blocks? That, or affix another layer of plasterboard to one side with some form of noise reduction material behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

build a second stud wall leaving 2 inchs of dead air space between 2 wall.

what ever you do . It wont be cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

You could pump cellulose into the wall. This is recycled paper. This would reduce the noise but not eliminate the noise. You could also counter batten and put another acoustic slab on. You could also put a fibre board up and slab over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Build4less.ie

I would not pump cellulose into a party wall unless you would like you house to be an accident waiting to happen in a fire as cellulose is paper and yes it does burn really well contrary to what some people in the business will tell you.

To be honest it is very difficult to stop noise pollution as it travels very well through solid objects like timber and concrete. Probably one of the things to do would be to speak to a acoustic consultant they will do a test and advise on what to do. He will probably cost you €150 and save you thousands on advice.

There could be all sorts of variables at work here with sound penetration and to try and advise with out seeing the problem is very difficult.

Build4less.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

penetration

Yeh I think that's the sound he's trying to block :D

Advertisement