Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid inteview questions on deaths & emotional events

• 22-02-2011 9:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭

Why do interviewers on talk shows and new programmes insist on asking stupid questions about how people feel during deaths, destruction and emotional events. Yesteday I heard jow duffy ask a guy who was upset on the phone how he felt about emigrating and in the last few minutes Ive just heard on newstalk a new zealand journo been asked how he felt about the earth quake and all the deaths and destruction. Are they living in hope that the interviewee might turn around and say " im bloody delighted and overjoyed. just what we needed here, a few untimely deaths and peoples homes and livliehoods wrecked".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Because it makes the interviewer look concerned, caring and empathetic thereby endearing themselves to their audience...

....whereas in reality, they're day-dreaming about JFK, Willy Wonka, books and jelly babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

telekon wrote: »
    Because it makes the interviewer look concerned, caring and empathetic thereby endearing themselves to their audience...

....whereas in reality, they're day-dreaming about JFK, Willy Wonka, books and jelly babies.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,502 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Q. Is the community devastated by this horrendous crime?

A. No, we're fcuking delighted to have **** like you invading our village asking dumbass questions like that. Now kindly piss off back to Dublin and leave us alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

coylemj wrote: »

A. No, we're fcuking delighted to have **** like you invading our village asking dumbass questions like that. Now kindly piss off back to Dublin and leave us alone.

Or yes we're devestated by this crime but we'll take as much publicity as we can so the Garda commissioner can see that this village needs another guard to prevent this from happening again.

The media aren't always there to be nosey, I'm sure you'll find that places like New Zealand welcome reporters with open arms at times like this so they can get as much extra help as possible.

In relation to the OP, these questions are generally asked to show people of the devastation caused, particularly at the early stages of a major incident, and how its affected the people who are there. They could be hoping that he'd turn around and say "yeah, everyone's devestated but the show of strength from people who turned up in their droves to move rubble etc is great", turning a devastating act of God, into something of a feel good story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What annoys me is when anytime there's road deaths in Ireland, RTE decide to interview a priest about the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭MalteseBarry

What annoys me is when anytime there's road deaths in Ireland, RTE decide to interview a priest about the issue.

I agree, and one reason we got rid of our tv's many years ago was because we couldn no longer bear the puerility and inanity of most tv news.

The radio is far superior, although I don't listen much to Newstalk due to the frequency and length of advertising breaks, and about the only RTE program I tune into, when I can, is Today with Pat Kenny, which can sometimes be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

You raise an interesting point. TV and radio news depends on people voicing their reaction to shocking events. Reporting the facts is pretty stultifying viewing/listening after a certain point. You've probably noticed that Sky News usually manages to rustle up some gobdaw gawker to say, "I just can't believe it. It's the kind of thing you read about but you never..." You know the rest..
    Here in Ireland, ordinary people are far more self-conscious about serving as spokesman for the community. But - and this is only a theory - priests can usually be coaxed into saying a few words about the community has been affected. I don't think it's that the local PP is only dying for the chance to get his mug on TV. Or that RTE are in the thrall of the church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

coylemj wrote: »

I understand your annoyance, but this post has been reported and as moderator I have to ask you to please tone it down a little bit or I may have to edit/censor you next time. Family web site and all that.

Advertisement