Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The start to a Smoke free Life

• 22-02-2011 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Ok im smoking about 15years, 20 a day and have tried so many times. Hopefully this time will be the end! Sick of spending so much money and chest pains are getting worse :(

So anyways on Day 2, and after reading other treads and posts gave me alot of positive motivation that it can be done! Im going old turkey so gonna be hard but the time is right:)

Also has anyone had severe dizzyness after quitting, I know im only off them 2 days but I have had it two or three times now and it really aint nice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Hi there - happy to report that I know exactly how you are feeling. Am off cigarettes since New Year and at the start i did feel like you for a couple of days but that does pass - you are probably experiencing nicotine withdrawals. What spurred me on to quit (apart from the expense and the fact that smoking has absoluely NOTHING going for it) was the fact that I was starting to feel very breathless and that scared me no end. Really felt that my body was telling me to cop on and I have taken note.

Its not been easy at all but I have been reading Alan Carrs book and found that great. To be honest I feel that because fewer people are smoking these days and that made it easier for me to quit this time round - I have done this soooooo many times before but this time round (fingers crossed) I feel more determined myself and hopefully ..........................

Best of luck to you - stick with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Thanks for your reply 1966, wow your doing really well, congrats! Even as im writing this my chest is at me! so a huge warning for me to quit, and as you said less and less people are smoking these days, which is another way of looking it can be done :).

Ill post back here in a few days with an update and It will be a positve one, I can do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

Well done GrizzlyMan.
    I'm off them two weeks now and its a lot easier now than it was at the start. I was getting the dizzyness and I think its to do with how nicotine regulates blood sugar. Your body will adapt and it will pass.
    I am really noticing my breathing getting better and my sense of smell is coming back. I'm waking up feeling way more rested than I used to and I have a lot more money than I used to.
    Get through the first few days and it gets easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Ok now on Day four and prob my 5th pack of wrigleys chewing gum :) Last night had the worst cravings so far, but didnt give in. have a party this weekend which i must attend so I think ill be staying with the non smokers, after all I dont want to have to start all this all over again.

So just wondering to those drinkers how did you avoid smoking while out having a few socials. Or did you just avoid social events until you were comfortable enough to go out and not smoke???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

I was out last Saturday and although I was jealous of them I didnt join the smokers. Saying that, I gave up last June until August and when I relapsed it was at a party so its definitely a danger zone for me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Yeah ---- have to say that since the New Year I have avoided nights out like the plague eventhough my OH doesn't smoke nor do many of my friends, in my stupid head alcohol & ciggie go hand in hand and I have to get over that notion somehow as I am turning into a recluse. Had one night out and didn't drink but I don't get out enough and thats just not a night out for me ??? Have been doing more meals out that Pubs nights to be honest and thats not helping my bulging waist line..........but on the positive side I am still smoke free and it is getting easier daily.....

Best of luck !!!

Advertisement