Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Marine tank white spot

Options
  • 22-02-2011 10:51am

Hey Guys

I finally took the plunge and started a marine tank. Last month i had it set up with live rock etc ....

Finally this weekend i added a couple of clowns. The next day , i have noticed alot of whitespot on them. It was not on them when i got them. I had the water tested at the shop and everything seemed great .

Any tips would be great .

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hey Guys

I finally took the plunge and started a marine tank. Last month i had it set up with live rock etc ....

Finally this weekend i added a couple of clowns. The next day , i have noticed alot of whitespot on them. It was not on them when i got them. I had the water tested at the shop and everything seemed great .

Any tips would be great .

from freshwater experience raise the temp to increase the life cycle of the parasite. You can also buy medication

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

A month is not long enough to cycle a Marine tank.
    What are your water parameters.
    Are you using Live rock or a biological filter.
    What is your salinity set at..

A month is not long enough to cycle a Marine tank...

I think your right, i was given a plan by the pet shop that i went to and i stuck to it .They did the water testing form me and said everything is fine and on track.
    I called them to let them know of the white spot , they said it was just stress and they will be fine.

Today they are dead. Thats not even 3 days . Will call them tomorrow .

I currently feel sick about it .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Bad form by the pet shop, if the water was ok there is no way the fish should have died in 2 days.

White spot could crop up due to stress, such as moving tanks, but it still shouldn't kill that quick unless the fish were already unhealthy.

Was there any anemone in the tank that could have stung them, I know the live in certain types and are immune, but maybe there was one they are not used to or something?
    Not to sure about marine so that could be totally wrong.

Just an update , i went back to the pet shop and the looked after me. The guy in charge said it was their fault , as it was a different guy that looked after me. They had me mixed up with another newbie.

So they are constantly testing my water. They gave me a free coral plant and basically i have credit for when the tank is ready .

Will see what happens .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

good stuff, nice to see a shop being decent about it.

Advertisement