Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Cafes

Options
  • 22-02-2011 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

With so many coffee houses in Galway and new ones opening each year what are peoples choices for best.
    Basically top 2 and <snip> we frequent them a lot surely some outshine others.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

Best: Sam Baileys on Eglinton St, the Budding Cafe on Sea road, Delight for sandwiches.

Worst: Alot of the franchises which never seem to make the same effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No offence OP but I'm not comfortable with people naming worst cafes here as it is a subjective experience. Also it could put boards into trouble.
    If you want to give out about a business this forum isn't the place, talk to the manager of the business instead or use a review site.

Charter: # 8. Do not post anything potentially defamatory or libellous about businesses or people. 'Free Speech' is vetoed by the welfare of Boards.ie.

So, thread remade into Best Cafes where there is always good food and service.

I like Mocha Beans but usually just have coffee, no food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

From just a Coffee standpoint, Lavazza on Shop Street and Pura Vida. I usually have never had a bad cup at either places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭philbo

I've not found anywhere in Galway that I think makes excellent coffee. There's a few places that are just about alright though. Hell, a lot of places don't even know the difference between a latte and a flat white.

The other annoying thing I've found is some of the places that actually make decent coffee then go and make the place itself uncomfortable, or just squeeze in as many seats as they can. While we're spoiled for choice for places to go to, there's not a huge amount of them I'd actually choose to go to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Thread was not started to b-tch about any cafe Biko,would like people to share their experiences as they could enlighten us to hidden gems amongst Galway cafe's.
    I would say pura vida by the arch,great atmosphere and unique,second lavazza for a decent coffee.
    On my less so fabulous list would be the franchised cafe's around town and Salthill personal choice.

• Advertisement

Cafe Luna makes amazing hot chocolates.

Actually forgot about cafe Luna nice place

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I do not do cafés. Is this unusual?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭elefant

I love the hot chocolate in Butler's, but I don't think it would class as a café :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lmkman

Was in Galway at weekend and really liked the desserts in sweetie pies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I'm still a fan of Javas, and butlers do the best coffee, but there's nowhere to sit and chat. For that I also vote budding cafe on sea road, it's the nicest relaxing cafe to wile away an hour, surrounded by lovely flowers and sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Lavazza on Shop Street
    Lavazza is a brand of coffee. Is it Cafe Express you mean?
    The one beside the Saturday market?
    Where on Sea Road is The Budding Cafe? My interest is piqued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

SparKing wrote: »
    Lavazza is a brand of coffee. Is it Cafe Express you mean?
    The one beside the Saturday market?
    Where on Sea Road is The Budding Cafe? My interest is piqued.

Yeah that's the name of the place. My bad.:)

Budding Cafe is right beside the Jes. Another place I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

I've fallen in love with Revive. It's on the corner facing Neachtain's

I loved the location for Revive, and the fact it's another place open late other than Javas, but I think I had the worst cup of coffee in my life in that place.
    There's not many cafe's that have character here, unfortunately the ones I've liked the look of have had terrible coffee!

Does anyone know of places that have proper trained Barista's and not just someone who figured out how to use the espresso machine? People that pay attention right down to the beans they use, and so on. I know in Dublin Colin Harmon has come 4th in the World barista championships the past 2 years running, but yet to actually try his coffee! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

philbo wrote: »
    but I think I had the worst cup of coffee in my life in that place.
    I've had many cups of coffee there, never a bother. This is why I don't like when we list "worst" things.
    You might like very dark coffee and I like it lightly roasted, so your "worst" is my "best" but how are the others to know?

Just sayin is all, no offence philbo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

This thread just has me missing Cafe du Journal.

I'll drink any old swill when it comes to coffee so I can't comment about that but I love the food in the Revive on Eyre Street, and they are always helpful when you're with a baby when a lot of places just let you struggle, they don't make you feel like the massive inconvenience you are and give you a hand. :P

Find revive cafe very very expensive for their products,can't say I like it talking about the one on quay street now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Brazcos in Oranmore is lovely, and they have a proper Barista. Wish they opened a place in town. Their food is good too and not extortionately priced(in relative terms) I really like Sam Baileys in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    I do not do cafés. Is this unusual?

No.

My justMary and I run into this every time we travel.

I do cafes: nothing is more relaxing than to sit down to a coffee and newspaper, in a nice quiet spot.

He does pubs. Preferrably smelly old-man ones, with a chatty barman and a few characters propping up the bar.

We compromise. I try not to wrinkle my nose too much when it's his turn to choose.

Re Galway cafes: +1 for Pura Vida. And I love the space in Lynches, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Checked out the Budding Cafe today and was very impressed, lovely cappuccino and carrot cake with great friendly service. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Coco's in Salthill is the ultimate Sunday newspaper/coffee experience. Avoid it if there is a gig game on in Pearse Stadium.

Food For Thought has yummy apple pie and a wonderful Americano.

Butler's is overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Jimmy9Irons

The new one behind Griffins Bakery, the tearooms i think its called is really nice, open fires, cosy atmosphere, friendly waitresses and decent grub and teas/coffees..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The new one behind Griffins Bakery, the tearooms i think its called is really nice, open fires, cosy atmosphere, friendly waitresses and decent grub and teas/coffees..

That place is lovely when quiet, but a nightmare when busy. I gave it a few chances but had mad experiences each time. Not just me, friends too. Again most of the staff are lovely but they seemed to unleash the Krakkons when it was busy. I'll give it another try soon as the food is good an it's been a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 brambo

Hell, a lot of places don't even know the difference between a latte and a flat white.

It's probably because the definition of a flat white is a little ambiguous. I worked in a cafe in Galway for over three years and asked numerous people what exactly is the difference between a latte and a flat white. I'm still none the wiser. I found they were usually ordered by Australians or perhaps Irish people who had recently returned from Australia. Could you please offer us an explanation of the differences?

Does anyone know of places that have proper trained Barista's and not just someone who figured out how to use the espresso machine? People that pay attention right down to the beans they use, and so on. I know in Dublin Colin Harmon has come 4th in the World barista championships the past 2 years running, but yet to actually try his coffee! :D

I can't say what the standards are like now, but when I was working in Arabica Coffee Co., we took it seriously. All new employees were given thorough training and quality was monitored. They learned about the beans we used, what to look for in the espresso, steaming milk, latte art etc. Even then, I would say each shop only had maybe one or two people who I would have classed as proper baristas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I love An Tobar Nua.

Cheap and cheerful. Toasted Cheese for 1.70! Free refills on the coffee.

Lovely atmosphere and wireless. Have spent 5 hours in there in the past.

brambo wrote: »
    It's probably because the definition of a flat white is a little ambiguous. I worked in a cafe in Galway for over three years and asked numerous people what exactly is the difference between a latte and a flat white. I'm still none the wiser. I found they were usually ordered by Australians or perhaps Irish people who had recently returned from Australia. Could you please offer us an explanation of the differences?

Flat White originated in Australia I think, though it's been launched all over the UK market over the past while, gave the chains like Costa and so on huge sales lift.

It's basically not as frothy as a Cappuccino, but not as milky as a Latte. There's a different ratio of espresso to milk. And while it's not a major thing with the coffee as well, I notice they're generally served differently too, Latte in a glass, Flat White in a cup. I think Flat White's became a bit more popular for a lot of customers because it's easier to do the coffee art stuff in a Flat White. :p
    Latte
    latte.jpg
    Flat White
    Flat_White5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 49 brambo

Personally I wouldn't class the top one as a latte as it's too frothy. The bottom one is what my lattes always looked like (but with better latte art :D). Does that mean I was serving flat whites the whole time? And if so, then why is it referred to as latte art?:confused:

can't say I'm 100% on the specifics of how they're made, but I've always been able to taste the difference since the first time I tried a Flat White. That's been my main way of judging! When I mentioned folks not knowing the difference, it was more along the line of the blank stare I'd get when I asked if they did a Flat White! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I think a flat white is a 'wet cappuccino' no? (basically a 'dropped foam' cappuccino). I've never had a flat white, but some Aussie friends and some Yankie friends were trying to compare, and wet cappuccino is what they agreed on.
    For a cappuccino you pull the espresso, and superfoam the milk, so it ends up 3/4 foam, 1/4 coffee with a dab of milk. So a flat white would be maybe a dab more milk and less foam.

A latte - you pull the espresso, and then add 3/4 milk, with a foam head, and then some lovely latte art. The latte in the cup with the swirls I prefer to the glass served latte for some reason.

:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement