Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Cafes

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Found in Arabica you used to get a nice little design on your coffee but that was all,don't like their coffee beans that they use too bitter,personal choice.
    Service was shocking in all of the Arabicas u have tried.A very clinical feel to thebplace and no friendly welcomes even when I was a regular,was the deciding factor innus not going back and seeking a good cafe with sound staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Not every Arabica is bad though. The Knocknacarra branch is decent enough for example or was when I last visited it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭philbo

So I got on to my mate who's an Aussie barista working in London. He's worked with Gwylim Davies (who won the world barista champs in 09), so I guess you could say he's worked with the best, or whatever. This is what he sent back to me:
    ...a double shot of coffee in a 6oz cup with steamed milk that hasn't been 'frothed' but silky smooth. The cups shape allows the aroma to swallow you up and just talking about makes me want one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

philbo wrote: »
    So I got on to my mate who's an Aussie barista working in London. He's worked with Gwylim Davies (who won the world barista champs in 09), so I guess you could say he's worked with the best, or whatever. This is what he sent back to me:

Ha ha great! The Yank was outnumbered in the debate but 'silky' was what he described the milk as too. Will pass that on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭philbo

Had a great cuppa in Bar 8 this morning. Didn't realise they were open around 11. Coffee was excellent, and got to sit in the sun and watch the Emer hitting out from the docks-the first time I've ever actually seen a boat leaving from there! Recommended :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Handiniho

Sam Baileys on Eglington St and Providence Market on Middle street are both pretty good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

xo.mary wrote: »
    I've fallen in love with Revive. It's on the corner facing Neachtain's

Yeah i know a few people who had to be revived after seeing the prices they charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

philbo wrote: »
    Had a great cuppa in Bar 8 this morning. Didn't realise they were open around 11. Coffee was excellent, and got to sit in the sun and watch the Emer hitting out from the docks-the first time I've ever actually seen a boat leaving from there! Recommended :)
    That sounds really nice, weather has been lovely recently to sit out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sonambula

For me it's not just the quality of the coffee though - is anyone else irritated by the crappy music most cafes blast? I know I sound like a total killjoy, but I'm stuck listening to GBFM at work and generally just want some peace with my coffee, not the best of Celine Dion or whatever.. Someone earlier in the thread was mourning Cafe du Journal - seconded! They played music, but GOOD music(and yes, I do realize that's incredibly subjective)

The only places that immediately come to mind as quiet havens are Javas, Providence and Goyas. Anyone know of any more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭mrsweebri

Brazcos in Oranmore is lovely, and they have a proper Barista. Wish they opened a place in town. Their food is good too and not extortionately priced(in relative terms) I really like Sam Baileys in the city.

There are two brazcos in oranmore - but they couldn't be more different! The one above Lidl I love, that's the one with the barista. They are SO nice there, and it is so open and airy and they make lovely food too. The other Brazco on the main street is cramped and not nearly as good imo.

As for city, Goyas is too cramped but totally worth it for the deliciousness of their cofee and cheesecake. Mmmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

Hi All,

Anyone up for refreshing this thread?
    New to Galway, it would be nice to get a few Coffee places recommended.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I like "Javas" on Abbeygate Street just off Shop Street
    Plus they do great crepes

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread lock. Start a fresh one if need be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement