Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawn of War II - Retribution.

Options
  • 22-02-2011 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭

Being a bit of a W40K convert (lore-wise at least), I've really gotten into Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising, so I went ahead and got the collectors edition of this. Released on 4th March - it's the game I'm most looking forward to this year, bar Skyrim.

Anyone else planning to get this?

Looking forward to playing as each of the different races - I never really got into the multiplayer for DOW2, so hopefully this will be a bit of a Dark Crusade expansion (best of the DoW1 games).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Never really got into DoW2, guess Im just a bit tire of RTS games.

Loved the Last Stand though, have around 30 hours clocked on Steam purely for that. Might pick up Retribution for the Lord General and the new map. plus maybe the campaigns in Retri will be a bit more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

To be fair to Relic, they really listened to what people said about Dawn of War II and the grind/similarity of the missions in the original, and changed it very successfully for Chaos Rising.

So I can only hope they've listened to suggestions for Retribution too, and taken them on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm one of those people that buy games and never complete them. DOWII was one of the rare ones I played all the way through and am currently getting through CR and loving it.

Having said that I've no patience for the multiplayer although last stand is alright for a quick blast.

The Last Stand is odd though in that it caters for three people. Makes it good craic at a LAN when you can't get a fourth person to come along.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is there a new race being added?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am looking forward to it, i am dissapointed new race added was imperials thought... There are waaaaay cooler races. I presume they needed to add them as lore cant work much withouth them...

I am looking moustly forward to orc campaing and multiplayer. I loved dow 2 original. Chaos was a bit complicated for me, so i want a fresh start.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I am looking forward to it, i am dissapointed new race added was imperials thought... There are waaaaay cooler races. I presume they needed to add them as lore cant work much withouth them...

I am looking moustly forward to orc campaing and multiplayer. I loved dow 2 original. Chaos was a bit complicated for me, so i want a fresh start.

I never finished chaos,could'nt get past the first mission :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I always liked the Imperials (in DOW 1 anyway), very defense orientated. In Multiplayer I Would always have well structured and co ordinated defense turrets and units which pretty much annhilated any army to set foot within range then subsequently use the elite troop to support other player armies.

From playing the Beta of Retibution, pretty much the same deal, defense orientated but depending on what you choose will affect how many units you have greatly. The Baneblade uses alot of Squad points but it is IMMENSE. Probably one of the biggest vehicle units in a RTS game iv seen, with the firepower to back it up.

Must download the demo later and see what its like.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I never finished chaos,could'nt get past the first mission :o

pety good campaing, i bought the game and forgot about it. so decided to finish it before the expantion.

its great, way better then dow2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Must download the demo later and see what its like.

Not entirely sure there is a Demo, Im able to play the Beta because I pre-ordered the game. It's released on 4th of March.

Anyone who owns DoW2 or Chaos Rising on Steam can play the retribution beta.

Not entirely sure there is a Demo, Im able to play the Beta because I pre-ordered the game. It's released on 4th of March.

Ya I meant the beta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Although I'm nearly sure this was to be released Friday it seems to be available on Steam now.

According to the Steam Forum its released in Western Europe but some posters from England are saying its not available to them.

Anyone playing this at the moment?

Plus all Wargear DLC for all races is €4.49

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Although I'm nearly sure this was to be released Friday it seems to be available on Steam now.

According to the Steam Forum its released in Western Europe but some posters from England are saying its not available to them.

It was released early. Anyone saying it's not available to them might be getting caught on geo checks if they're on small ISPs.

I thought it was Friday too, but apparently not. My mate was playing it last night.

I wonder when Amazon will have mine shipped out, I suspect I'll be waiting until Monday... Just as well I'm away for the weekend anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Spear wrote: »
    It was released early. Anyone saying it's not available to them might be getting caught on geo checks if they're on small ISPs.

Apparently, there was a fair bit of a mix-up in the release dates (Steam forums link)

Release dates copied from said thread
    Just as a reminder for everyone of the release dates for Dawn of War II: Retribution, we are releasing on these days in the following regions:

North America – March 1st
    • US
    • Canada
    • Mexico
    • Puerto Rico

Australia / NZ (APAC) – March 2nd
    • Australia
    • New Zealand
    • APAC
    • Singapore
    • Hong Kong
    •Taiwan
    • Malaysia
    • India
    • Philippines
    • Vietnam
    • Thailand
    • Macao
    • Indonesia

Europe – March 1st
    • Norway
    • Sweden
    • Finland
    • Denmark
    • Portugal
    • Spain
    • France
    • Germany
    • Italy
    • Austria
    • Switzerland
    • Luxembourg
    • Liechtenstein
    • Belgium
    • Netherlands
    • Jersey
    • Guernsey
    • Iceland
    • Malta

United Kingdom, Ireland & Eastern Europe – March 4th
    • United Kingdom
    • Ireland
    • Latvia
    • Lithuania
    • Estonia
    • Belarus
    • Moldova
    • Ukraine
    • Russia
    • Czech Republic
    • Hungary
    • Poland
    • Slovakia
    • Bulgaria
    • Croatia
    • Greece
    • Romania
    • Slovenia
    • Turkey
    • Rest of the World

I was playing co-op with a friend (from Sweden) last night, and he lost access to the game ~7:30GMT (after he exited the game), but I was still able to play the game until I had gone to bed.

I hope it'll still be available to play when I get home :o

Also, out of curiosity, what Wargear pack did you guys go with (well, those of you who pre-ordered that is)? Space Marine here, although I kinda wish now I went for the Eldar :(

Is it released in the shops so too?or just on steam?

Is it released in the shops so too?or just on steam?

I didn't see it in GAME or GameStop in Limerick City yesterday. I'll take another look today but GAME are usually fairly good (from what I've seen) at getting games in on release day so I don't expect to see it.

Robby91 wrote: »
    Also, out of curiosity, what Wargear pack did you guys go with (well, those of you who pre-ordered that is)? Space Marine here, although I kinda wish now I went for the Eldar :(

You can buy all 6 wargear packs on Steam for €4.50 if your desperate, dunno if the tesm are really worth it though.

• Advertisement

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    You can buy all 6 wargear packs on Steam for €4.50 if your desperate, dunno if the tesm are really worth it though.

Eh, getting a credit card for it is the issue - I'm happy enough with one set of special wargear though (technically two since I'm starting the Chaos campaign in coop with a friend who got the Chaos pre-order :pac:).
    When I pre-ordered, I just decided to get something different from Chaos, since my friend already got that so I went for Space Marines (they're pretty cool, so why not :D), but then started to really like the Eldar while playing the beta... :o

Either way, I'll be playing through all the campaigns, and the pre-order Wargear won't make any difference to The Last Stand so it's not a big deal - it's gonna be fun either way :)

Just back from gamestop and they had 1 collectors edition copy but your man wouldn't sell it to me:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Just back from gamestop and they had 1 collectors edition copy but your man wouldn't sell it to :rolleyes:
    Why?

I dunno,I asked him could he sell it now and he said "no I have to wait till the 4th"then he was trying to get me to pay 3 euro to pre order it,I dunno why he even bothered showing it to me in the first place ffs.

I dunno,I asked him could he sell it now and he said "no I have to wait till the 4th"then he was trying to get me to pay 3 euro to pre order it,I dunno why he even bothered showing it to me in the first place ffs.
    Ah, that sucks - how much are they selling the Collector's Edition for, or did he say? The artwork would be pretty nice to have :)

Robby91 wrote: »
    Ah, that sucks - how much are they selling the Collector's Edition for, or did he say? The artwork would be pretty nice to have :)

tis indeed cool,39.99,I think it comes with chaos rising and the first dow 2 to?

Cheers for the replies.

Purging Heretics as we speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Cheers for the replies.

Purging Heretics as we speak.

DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR
    BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
    SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Is the single player just a dressed up multiplayer like Soulstorm was? The units and resources in it sure feel that way.

• Advertisement

Mantel wrote: »
    Is the single player just a dressed up multiplayer like Soulstorm was? The units and resources in it sure feel that way.

There is a storyline, unlike Soulstorm, its explained that the Blood Ravens Chapter is split and that parts of the Imperial Guard have been corrupted by Chaos. The Inquisition play a role in the storyline for all races.

Playing as Captain Bluddflag of the Orks ATM. He has the voice of an Irish Pirate. The Ork dialog is stuff of Comic Genius. Haven't delved into Multiplayer yet but hope to do so at the weekend.

Advertisement