Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawn of War II - Retribution.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

True, the differences between 1 and 2 is astounding. 1 is about base building and just power housing your way through the enemy.

2 is more about tactics, chosing the right deployment and sometimes getting it wrong and trying again.

Not sure which one i love more tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Vicxas wrote: »
    True, the differences between 1 and 2 is astounding. 1 is about base building and just power housing your way through the enemy.

2 is more about tactics, chosing the right deployment and sometimes getting it wrong and trying again.

Not sure which one i love more tho...

The first one isn't about base building though? It just features it a lot more than the sequel, and even then some strategy can be applied to the base building in itself. Not clustering plasma generators together and spreading them far apart so the enemy has a harder time destroying them, or placing an Imperial Guard's infantry command building at a forward position to use it for its bunker fire alongside upgraded listening posts. The only time the game's about powerhousing your way through the enemy is if all you play is online multiplayer against other quickstart noobs.

The first Dawn of War is just as much about tactics and choosing the right deployment. I don't know if you've ever played or seen the first game being played competitively in a 1v1 setting. Choosing the right build orders relative to the map or race you're playing against, dancing your units at the right moments, tactically switching between ranged and melee stances for regular infantry and Commander units alike, reinforcing squads and weapons wisely, harassing your enemy's capture units early game or decapping his strategic points and denying him map control to prevent him from teching further to out-manouvre your own units with hard counters.

...so yes, saying the game's nothing but base building and 'powerhousing' is slightly inaccurate.

The first one isn't about base building though? It just features it a lot more than the sequel, and even then some strategy can be applied to the base building in itself. Not clustering plasma generators together and spreading them far apart so the enemy has a harder time destroying them, or placing an Imperial Guard's infantry command building at a forward position to use it for its bunker fire alongside upgraded listening posts. The only time the game's about powerhousing your way through the enemy is if all you play is online multiplayer against other quickstart noobs.

The first Dawn of War is just as much about tactics and choosing the right deployment. I don't know if you've ever played or seen the first game being played competitively in a 1v1 setting. Choosing the right build orders relative to the map or race you're playing against, dancing your units at the right moments, tactically switching between ranged and melee stances for regular infantry and Commander units alike, reinforcing squads and weapons wisely, harassing your enemy's capture units early game or decapping his strategic points and denying him map control to prevent him from teching further to out-manouvre your own units with hard counters.

...so yes, saying the game's nothing but base building and 'powerhousing' is slightly inaccurate.

Guess its just what i did :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ah...... i played dow2 quite a bit, after awile i got that dow1 packadge. everyone were saying that dow2 campaing story was so **** and did not even compared to dow1...

i finished dow1 campaing and it was rubish, sorry but it was. Some fans should put away pink glasses and have a good look at it again.

now i am not saying that story in dow2 was awesome, but deffenetly not worse then dow1...

bouth good games, but i just realy want hardcore dow1 fans to get off a high horse and not hate dow2, just becouse it made something different and not gave dow1.5 .

between 2 i would choose dow2, but i hope such day newer comes ;). sorry if i hurt somebodies feelings. :p

p.s. 49.99 for THQ packadge on steam. all DOW2 games in it with alot of ather good games. homefront in it too, which is mediocore, but newish game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

ah...... i played dow2 quite a bit, after awile i got that dow1 packadge. everyone were saying that dow2 campaing story was so **** and did not even compared to dow1...

i finished dow1 campaing and it was rubish, sorry but it was. Some fans should put away pink glasses and have a good look at it again.

now i am not saying that story in dow2 was awesome, but deffenetly not worse then dow1...

bouth good games, but i just realy want hardcore dow1 fans to get off a high horse and not hate dow2, just becouse it made something different and not gave dow1.5 .

between 2 i would choose dow2, but i hope such day newer comes ;). sorry if i hurt somebodies feelings. :p

p.s. 49.99 for THQ packadge on steam. all DOW2 games in it with alot of ather good games. homefront in it too, which is mediocore, but newish game.

Most Dawn of War fans will agree the campaign isn't that great. In Dark Crusade and Soulstorm, it's usually a matter of dropping into a skirmish game and guessing which corner of the map the AI is hiding in and legging it over to their HQ to destroy it, apart from the stronghold missions which are more reminiscent of a traditional single player mission in an RTS.

Play the multiplayer, it's a thousand times better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Dow was never made for it's single player, it's a pure Multiplayer game through and through.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Dow was never made for it's single player, it's a pure Multiplayer game through and through.

even so, dow multiplayer is very solid. When i still was half decent, it was all about tactics, not steam rolling. retreating at right time could win or losse a game.

bouth games great, but i dont think that dow2 gets all that bashing rightfully.

I rememeber when playing online and you used to be over run by scouts, man that was embarassing... those guys knew how to spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Vicxas wrote: »
    I rememeber when playing online and you used to be over run by scouts, man that was embarassing... those guys knew how to spam.

Those Tau scouts were lethal once they were upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya,I'm one of the guys who was a fan of DoW1 and hated DoW 2. Loved DoW1 multiplayer, was one of the only games I actually got good at. Played the DoW 2 beta and didnt like it all. So different, still might get the THQ pack and give it a go

• Advertisement
Advertisement