Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tree cutting

Options
  • 22-02-2011 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

hi all,

We cut down a large no. of leylandi last year. We have a large quantities of logs that need to be cut.

What I'm looking for is where i can get a hold of an automatic sawmill or suggestions of people who provide this service and what i can expect to pay for it? I would need the sawmill to come to me as there is a such a large quantity

I'm in the wexford area

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Farming & Forestry forum might be of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kwacker84

You could try these guys, they have a portable sawmill and there only in wicklow!!! If your looking to get them planked up, but if your logging just get yourself a chainsaw for the day!

http://www.kilndriedhardwoods.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RobTree

If your looking to make firewood and you have a large amount you should be able to get a Tractor and Firewood Processor for about 35-40 euro an hour. They do massive amounts, no need for a chainsaw.

If you were thinking of milling it, don't. It's no good. Firewood only after 2 years seasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

i cut a number of young ash tress from my back garden where they took root. But shoots start growing out of the stumps. Anyone know how i can kill it from growing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

SBK brushwood killer, drill few holes in tree stump and apply this poison on the top of stump. then cover stump with plactic bag. keep away from kids, and pets. you can get it in garden center/ woodies/ B&Q.
    http://http://www.vitax.co.uk/index.php/area/home-garden/weed-disease-control/sbk-brushwood-killer-2/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

If it's young ash and the tree wasn't that big your best to get a pick and shovel and an axe, dig the root out.
    With ash it'll sprout again and again. The brush killer will work but it's really bad for the ground the victim is in, you wont grow much else their for a while, like 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Digging out the root is the most effective method, if just want to remove tree stump then dig around stump to find major roots then cut major roots with axe, pull out stump!

otherwise I previously posted this advice in forestry:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76446187

The living layer of the tree is a very thin green layer just under the bark. It is called the cambium and that is what you will want to kill to stop the tree growing. Drilling holes elsewhere outside of functioning wood is a waste of time.

Cut the stump off as low as possible to expose the most cambium, ie the biggest level circle you can make. Using the chainsaw cut a groove (or drill 1-2cm holes) around the inner edge of the stump, as close to the edge as you can without cutting through the outer bark, about a centimeter or so deep.

Into this groove put Rootout, you should be able to get it at the co-op. This is the product I am talking about. It breaks down into nitrogen after a while so relativly safe to use.

http://www.garden-products.info/rootout.htm

Wear gloves and fill up the entire groove all the way round with the rootout crystals. Cover the stump with plastic to ensure the rain dosnt wash the rootout away and weigh down with stones.

Repeat applications may be necessary, but this is a very effective method.

all you guys thanks a lot for your information. Some of them were too big to root out roots , as ye know ash has very big roots.

I have taken out some very big ash roots - how big are these trees? photos would help

Usually I would only take out the stump with roots axed around the stem and the rest left in situ to rot away happily. Dosnt take that long.

Oldtree wrote: »
    I have taken out some very big ash roots - how big are these trees? photos would help

Usually I would only take out the stump with roots axed around the stem and the rest left in situ to rot away happily. Dosnt take that long.
    They would only be about 5-6 ft tall, too big to pull or dig out. If stump is taken away, and cut around it it at roots does remainder of roots rot away. Ash has very big roots, almost as much underground as overground.

• Advertisement

yes if stump taken out leftover roots die and eventually rot, from what I have seen.

Have used a chainasaw to carefully cut large roots too, once soil removed from around them, but stones in soil and in roots can ruin chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pria

I want somebody to cut down a large no. of leylandi trees in the Wicklow area and they can take the wood for free

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The wood is not worth much, you'll have to pay someone to cut them and remove the wood.

How much would it cost to remove trees from an acre of land in Wicklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

pria wrote: »

How long is a piece of string?.

It depends on a number of factors, such as how big the trees are, the number of trees and the site accessibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The area is irrelevant, its the number and size of the trees, as well as ease of access from the road.
    Also, what's the plan for the roots/stumps?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

If you put out the word locally, eg shop noticeboards etc. the wood scavengers will arrive. But it could take some time and they will leave the stumps. If you want the land cleared quickly, you'll have to pay.

Leylandi trees in Wicklow: If I want to remove the roots from the trees, is this a big job? do the Leylandi trees have big roots??? I was goint ot cut and leave a tall stump so the digger could pull out the root? Is this process advisable or is there an easy way??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

A full sized digger can knock down the whole tree, but its expensive.
    Letting the roots rot away over time is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Leylandi trees in Wicklow: If I want to remove the roots from the trees, is this a big job? do the Leylandi trees have big roots??? I was goint ot cut and leave a tall stump so the digger could pull out the root? Is this process advisable or is there an easy way??

It depends on what you want to do with the area in question, if you have plans for that area, then yes take the roots out, otherwise leave them there.
    Leyandii root stumps are easy to remove, they are shallow rooted, but have a wide spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

You could give nature a helping hand and introduce fungi into the wood.
    You might even be able to inoculate with an edible spawn (shiitake / oyster) and "eat" it away!

Thank you again for you helpful suggestion. Cheers Pria

Advertisement