Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laois Softball team

Options
  • 22-02-2011 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi.

We tried in vain last year to get a softball team up and running but as a number of people have came back and expressed an interest in getting one going this season we are going to try again.
    Softball is a co-ed sport, teams of 5 male and 5 female players. Its similar to rounders and baseball and in Ireland is a social sport primarily and anybody from 16-60 is welcome and able to play.

If you want to play then there will be a meeting in Kavanaghs Bar Main street portlaoise on Friday the 11th of March at 8.30 pm. Its vital that those interested turn up as the Irish softball association will have a rep there on the night and they won't come on board with coaching if they think there's insufficient interest.
    Its a great way to meet new people while playing a fun sport.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Publicdiservice

Its not an issue that you haven't played before, its easy to pick up the basics and you learn by playing anyway. As regards your other questions the season is roughly May to August. Games will be on weekend days and likely to be around 5-6 game weekends this year maximum. As regards where, that will depend on where suits most people. Normally, games are played on GAA, Rugby, Soccer pitches so we would have to sort one for training at least.
    Basically anybody who likes the sound of this should make it into Kavanaghs on the 11th March at 8.30 beacause if theres no turnout we won't get the coaching and equipment we can from the softball association. There are a core number of us that have played before but we need numbers on the night or we won't get off the ground in time for this season.

Just to confirm the open meeting goes ahead this friday in Kavanaghs Bar Portlaois at 8.30pm.
    It will be a quick information evening, we'l expalin the game a little and organise an open day to come and play the game.

If your looking for a fun activity to meet new people you are most welcome.

check out www.softball.ie for more insight to the game.

Thanks
    Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RORYBBELLOWS8

Hi.

We tried in vain last year to get a softball team up and running but as a number of people have came back and expressed an interest in getting one going this season we are going to try again.
    Softball is a co-ed sport, teams of 5 male and 5 female players. Its similar to rounders and baseball and in Ireland is a social sport primarily and anybody from 16-60 is welcome and able to play.

If you want to play then there will be a meeting in Kavanaghs Bar Main street portlaoise on Friday the 11th of March at 8.30 pm. Its vital that those interested turn up as the Irish softball association will have a rep there on the night and they won't come on board with coaching if they think there's insufficient interest.
    Its a great way to meet new people while playing a fun sport.

Thanks

How did the meeting go. have been off boards for a while. Just got your PM now

The meeting went well. There will be an open day in Portlaoise in April. I still have to confirm the details but will post here when available.

• Advertisement

Excellent. I will follow the thread. I know a good few people from the Leinster league and the irish team. let me know if you need any more info etc

Laois Softball will hold an open day in Portlaoise on the weekend of the 16th and 17th of April, Venue and time to be confirmed.

Feel free to come along and try a great game and see if its for you.

Laois Softball also now has a Facebook page and we can be emailed at

Laoissoftball@hotmail.com

Will confirm the Time and Venue in the next week.

Thanks

Laois Softball Open Day now confirmed.

Sunday the 17th April

Time 3pm til 5pm approx

Venue Rossleighan Park Portlaoise - On the Mountmellick Road.

Come along and try a great game, bring you're friends.

Thanks

Cannot make 17th. I am away on Holiday. Please keep me in the loop. I am very interested

Hi All

After the success of the Open Day Laois softball team are happy to announce that training will commence on Sunday the 8th of May in Rossleighan Park Portlaoise at 3pm (til 5 approx). Before retiring for a refreshing beverage or two in Kavanaghs on Main Street.
    New players are welcome to come to the training sessions and try the game.

Training will be at the same time each Sunday going forward and we there will be updates as the season progresses.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Excellent stuff. See you there. What footwear is allowed in softball. I have baseball cleats.

Bob

If you have Cleats their fine cleats are not mandatory, i would recommend ordinary football boots provided they have non metalic studs but even runners are Fine to be honest, if you have a glove bring it along.

Training continues this Sunday, Rossleighan Park Portlaoise at 3pm.

Training pitch at back of club house.

Cheers

Advertisement