Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Camera In Oranmore This Morning (Tues 22-Feb)

Options
  • 22-02-2011 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Anyone else see the crimson coloured speed camera van (Ford Transit with a camera sticker on the passenger side rear-door) in Oranmore this morning? It was there at around 7:30am as I went past but it was there from at least 5:55am. No warning signs, nothing. I thought they were supposed to be slowing traffic down. How are they going to achieve that without warning signs? And it's not exactly an accident black-spot either. The van was facing the traffic coming into Oranmore, tucked into the hard-shoulder just before Forde's gas showrooms.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

it was there on saturday too, i wouldn;t have thought it to be a bad spot for speeding though. pretty hard to miss it even from a distance, its very bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sempai

Locations of where these speed cameras can be found on the Garda website so should be no need to warn drivers that an van is in the area. If people speed and get caught that's just tough.

You are right, if you speed and get caught, then tough. But i am wondering does this road have a history of speeding? i know a lot of roads around Galway that are terrible for speeding

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

The one at the weekend was under the bridge on the dual carriageway facing the city on Friday evening and facing Oranmore on Saturday morning. It was also un-marked.

The van was only there to generate cash, despite all the crap we got that this private speed camera would only be used in high risk areas.

Having lived in oranmore and being a user of the dual-carriageway for 11 years, I can happily say I have NEVER seen a RTA on that road. Not sure why the camera needed to hide under the bridge to catch people coming down a hill.

Now, if the van was parked out by Fahy's Cross on the Dublin road I would be delighted as I know of a few people who have being killed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dee_kay

@paulusdu
    Agreed. It isn't a bad spot. Not at that hour. It gets pretty thick with traffic coming up to 8:30 and 9:00 but speeds are down to walking pace at that point and any shunts are minor. I just didn't see the point of parking the van there at that hour (no more than I didn't see the van either until I was nearly on top of it. I got the impression that it wasn't covered in reflective strips, just the camera sticker on the back door). As I came in the road was empty in front and behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

NTC wrote: »

Having lived in oranmore and being a user of the dual-carriageway for 11 years, I can happily say I have NEVER seen a RTA on that road. Not sure why the camera needed to hide under the bridge to catch people coming down a hill.

A guy in a Jag was killed there about seven or eight years ago IIRC, went off onto the grass verge and the car tumbled.

Also, this van may have been on a recon mission, recording traffic volumes etc. We only got the vans in Galway this month, and they generally have to provide stats before they go issuing fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I have seen 3 bad accidents on the Dual Carriageway between the Galway Clinic and Maldron Hotel. All of them very serious. 2 at night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

The one at the weekend was under the bridge on the dual carriageway facing the city on Friday evening and facing Oranmore on Saturday morning. It was also un-marked.

The van was only there to generate cash, despite all the crap we got that this private speed camera would only be used in high risk areas.

Now, if the van was parked out by Fahy's Cross on the Dublin road I would be delighted as I know of a few people who have being killed there.

Parked just down from here today around 1.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

why would there be warning signs for speed camera,s? its there to save lives for god sake. if you dont want to be late for work get up early and leave early then you wont be speeding. if you were not speeding then you wont get caught so you wont be giving 80e and 2 points on licence. hubbie got caught on monivea road at the hurling pitch last week, he was going 90 in the 80 km .any road you go on now there could be the van taking your photo of you going like the clappers. the van should go on the new m6 cos cars are going 170 in the 100km .

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Seen that also, but be warned that was the Garda Traffic Core van not one of the new Privately operated Units thus no warning signs or markings.

And yes, pure cash generation !!

• Advertisement

Im not sure if it would generate much cash, the two roads mentions both have 100kph speed limits. And i've not seen that much speeding on those roads. If they wanted to raise cash, they could stick it on the ring road down to Terryland where it is a 50kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Tuam Road out as ar as Roadstone is 50km and the 4 laned road from the roundabout at Flemings to the old IBIS is 50km. A goldmine.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

cats.life wrote: »
    why would there be warning signs for speed camera,s? its there to save lives for god sake. .

According to our outgoing government, they're SAFETY cameras, not speed cameras!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

As far as I know the vans also go on roads where 75% of the users exceed the limit.

Instead of putting vans at those locations why don't the local authority look into WHY the limit is being broken.

The airport road being a fine example, huge wide road with no sharp bends and the limit is 60kmh (I would agree with the 50kmh limit at the school for obvious reasons) while the narrow roads joining it are 80kmh!!
    It's madness.
    WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Tuam Road out as ar as Roadstone is 50km and the 4 laned road from the roundabout at Flemings to the old IBIS is 50km. A goldmine.

On that road down towards Menlo, I feel like I'm more likely to have an accident while keeping my speed in check rather than speeding. I feel like I'm going backwards while driving at 50kmh on it and seem to be the only one obeying the posted limit.

guys and gals beware of the maroon or blue van being there at different times, today it was the blue vans turn to catch 100km on the 80kms road, that will cost you 80e and two points on your licence people..if you got caught today you will get the fine next wednesday in the post. hubbie got caught he was going 92km. think iwas got today aswell cos the camera can see all the down the straight of the road as you go over the bit of a hill after leaving the local shop i was listening to radio about the final election news in salthill so my mind was not on speed , i know i wasnt going over 80 much i clanced at it just a titch over 80. :(:(then i saw the van tucked in the corner:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Can somebody answer me this:
    What is the range of the camera? I mean, is it just within the speed camera signs on a road that they are clocking for? Or is it the whole stretch of road?

For example, going out by the airport, you pass the speed camera sign and about 100 yrds up the road is where the van is. Is the van clocking the whole lenght of the road in as far as Briarhill, or just within the camera signs?

sealgaire wrote: »
    What is the range of the camera? I mean, is it just within the speed camera signs on a road that they are clocking for? Or is it the whole stretch of road?

For example, going out by the airport, you pass the speed camera sign and about 100 yrds up the road is where the van is. Is the van clocking the whole lenght of the road in as far as Briarhill, or just within the camera signs?[/QUO if you dont know yourself dont you think you should be doing the 60 or under. i dont know the range ,but i dont go the airport road anymore.its a joke cos when we are doing the 60 there are others overtaking at 100. thats an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

guys and gals beware of the maroon or blue van being there at different times, today it was the blue vans turn to catch 100km on the 80kms road, that will cost you 80e and two points on your licence people..if you got caught today you will get the fine next wednesday in the post. hubbie got caught he was going 92km. think iwas got today aswell cos the camera can see all the down the straight of the road as you go over the bit of a hill after leaving the local shop i was listening to radio about the final election news in salthill so my mind was not on speed , i know i wasnt going over 80 much i clanced at it just a titch over 80. :(:(then i saw the van tucked in the corner:eek::eek:

Hi Cats.life, Just wondering if you got a fine and points for the above incident? I doubt you did. Your speedo would have a margin for error in your favour so you would be well below an actual speed of 80. You say your hubbie got caught for doing 92KM/H. Is this the speed recorded on the ticket or what your hubbie saw on the speedo when passing the camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

why would there be warning signs for speed camera,s? its there to save lives for god sake. if you dont want to be late for work get up early and leave early then you wont be speeding. if you were not speeding then you wont get caught so you wont be giving 80e and 2 points on licence. hubbie got caught on monivea road at the hurling pitch last week, he was going 90 in the 80 km .any road you go on now there could be the van taking your photo of you going like the clappers. the van should go on the new m6 cos cars are going 170 in the 100km .

Garbage. The vans are cash generator's. And it's not just me saying so: I've had GTC personnel tell me so as well: remember, they don't run the private vans, and all they will see is grief as a result of the operation of Mr Spectra. -

The other reason there should be signs is that the protocol is that the vans will only be placed on known blackspots or where there is a record of fatality. This is another reason they should never be allowed on any motorway: statistically, they are the safest roads there are.

And, inappropriate speed limits is another factor. The road to the airport is 60 km/h - a joke. The boithrín onto it, at Kiltullagh.....is 80 km/h. The 4-lane link road down to MotorPark (I can never remember the name of it....) should be at least 80 km/h.

Remember - and the RSA will tell you on their own website: Speed is only a factor in less than 10% of accidents. 'Going to other side of road' is the biggest factor: aka, stupidity. Stupidity crosses all boundaries, and is evident at 1km/h.

Oh, and camera's don't detect dangerous, careless, drink- or drug-influenced driving, either: all of which are bigger contributor's to accidents than 'speeding'.

In fact - the RSA add two classes of accidents to come with the 10% for 'speeding'. Actual breaking of the speed limit is, probably, only about 5% causal.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

sealgaire wrote: »

For example, going out by the airport, you pass the speed camera sign and about 100 yrds up the road is where the van is. Is the van clocking the whole lenght of the road in as far as Briarhill, or just within the camera signs?

It's line of sight with the handheld guns so I presume it is the same for the vans.

• Advertisement

aido76 wrote: »
    Hi Cats.life, Just wondering if you got a fine and points for the above incident? I doubt you did. Your speedo would have a margin for error in your favour so you would be well below an actual speed of 80. You say your hubbie got caught for doing 92KM/H. Is this the speed recorded on the ticket or what your hubbie saw on the speedo when passing the camera?
    thank god i did not get a letter for that day, the 92 was on the ticket, he said he was doing 100 but just then he saw van he changed gear down to slow ,wasnt fast enough to slow down. hate to see white envelopes anymore .

Advertisement