Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IVF

Options
  • 22-02-2011 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Am just after starting IVF and wonder if anyone else has been on this journey? would be nice to have someone to talk to!

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi, why not join us in the chat thread at the top of the list, that you can join in - I think there are a few ladies in varied stages of IVF treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SHELLBABE10

Hi tomtum06

Im about to start my first ivf. I did 2 iui's last year and was unsuccessfull:( so this thurs im starting my down reg injections, im really excited and scared at the same time. How far in ivf are you at the moment? If you want to pm me anything thats ok

• Registered Users Posts: 27 tomtum06

Hi
    I am on day 10 now, taking 2 injections, no sniffer. Going well so far, no side affects. Loads of follicles, but mostly small ones. Back again on Friday to see if they are growing anymore.
    How about u?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 farmcracker

<snip> is a great site for this.

Hi Tomtum06

Glad to hear its going well so far for you. Im starting my first injection this thurs for the down regulating and then back inthe clinic in bout 2 weeks time and will have to start menopur injections then aswell. Are you on the long protocol or short? Im doing the long one which should take roughly 4-6 weeks,depends how i respond to the meds. Are you having any acupuncture done aswell? im starting this saturday with that,have heard it helps your body prepare for pregnancy and relaxes you and can increase your chances :-) let me know how you go, and the best of luck xx
    Thanks firecracker, i will have a look on the thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Disambiguation

Good luck ladies.

I'm starting down reg next month.

Thanks Disambiguation, hopefully it will be first time lucky :)
    Is this your first ivf? are you doing sniffer or injections for down reg?

Thanks Disambiguation, hopefully it will be first time lucky :)
    Is this your first ivf? are you doing sniffer or injections for down reg?

Yes, this will be our first and hopefully last try.

I'm attending to the cork clinic and I think they use injections for down reg, but I haven't had the nurse consultation yet so I can't say for sure. I think I will be doing the long protocol too. We should be meeting her in 2 weeks and starting in a little over 3 weeks from now.

It is still surreal for us; that we really need IVF.

So, you must have started your injections by now? How are you doing?

:-)

It is still surreal for us; that we really need IVF.

:-)

i was just think ing the same thing myself today:(.

i have a 5 year old son, who i didn't need ivf for, just clomid. i thought i would get pregnant really easily second time round, how wrong i was! somehow in the last 5 years my tubes have completely blocked.

i am now finished my cycle. had egg retrieval on sunday, but they only got two eggs. then only one of them fertilised. had that put back today, so its all down to mother nature now! the lab guy said that my one egg looked really good.

how you getting on shellbabe?

Hi Disambiguation,

I think nature can be so unfair some times :-( Unfortunately i havnt any children yet, myself and partner have been trying for over 6 years now,Discovered i had endometriosis over a year ago and had to have an ovary nd tube removed.Just like you i didnt think we would have to do ivf,was hoping it would happen naturally but didnt and even tried 2 rounds of iui which is alot cheaper than ivf but unfortunately they didnt work either.So im hoping we'll only have to do it once,fingers crossed :-)
    Hopefully you will only have to do it once aswell,but the fact you have had a child already is a good thing,they always say if you have carried a child before it can be more hopefull than someone who hasnt if you get what i mean :-)
    Im on day 7 of doing the down reg injections, going fine so far though had a bad day saturday, was fine one minute and the next i felt really down and wanted to cry for no reason which i panicked a bit but have been fine since then,thank god :-) going for my baseline scan next week.
    You dont have long left, you wont feel the time flying it.Do keep us updated :-)

• Advertisement

Tomtum06
    My god you've had egg retrievel and transfer :-) That was quick.
    You got one fertilised which is great, i know you probably wanted more but quality is always better than quantity :-)
    When is your test date? Do you do a pregnancy test yourself or do you go back to the clinic for a blood test?
    Im wishing you the best of luck and let us know how your getting on, as the wait now can be maddening.

tomtum06 wrote: »
    i was just think ing the same thing myself today:(.

i have a 5 year old son, who i didn't need ivf for, just clomid. i thought i would get pregnant really easily second time round, how wrong i was! somehow in the last 5 years my tubes have completely blocked.

i am now finished my cycle. had egg retrieval on sunday, but they only got two eggs. then only one of them fertilised. had that put back today, so its all down to mother nature now! the lab guy said that my one egg looked really good.

how you getting on shellbabe?
    Congrats on your little boy.

It would have been nicer for you to get more eggs out but it is wonderful that you had one to transfer. Keep your fingers crossed that the little bean holds on tight.

Hi Disambiguation,

I think nature can be so unfair some times :-( Unfortunately i havnt any children yet, myself and partner have been trying for over 6 years now,Discovered i had endometriosis over a year ago and had to have an ovary nd tube removed.Just like you i didnt think we would have to do ivf,was hoping it would happen naturally but didnt and even tried 2 rounds of iui which is alot cheaper than ivf but unfortunately they didnt work either.So im hoping we'll only have to do it once,fingers crossed :-)
    Hopefully you will only have to do it once aswell,but the fact you have had a child already is a good thing,they always say if you have carried a child before it can be more hopefull than someone who hasnt if you get what i mean :-)
    Im on day 7 of doing the down reg injections, going fine so far though had a bad day saturday, was fine one minute and the next i felt really down and wanted to cry for no reason which i panicked a bit but have been fine since then,thank god :-) going for my baseline scan next week.
    You dont have long left, you wont feel the time flying it.Do keep us updated :-)
    No, we don't have any children yet. This will be our first. (perhaps first & second !!!!!!! - we would love twins!)

I am sorry for the loss of your tube and ovary.

As for us, my husband was injured as a child so we cannot conceive without IVF.

About your treatment, could you please explain it for me? Are you on the pill now and taking the injection instead of the nasal spray? That would be the same for me too, I think.

Yikes, I'm sorry you are feeling tense/emotional. I completely understand. Before I start I'm worried that I might not complete each stage, down reg, enough follicles, surviving the collection and praying for embryos, never mind worrying about getting a positive and carrying to term. It is tough and I know I am going to be emotional too.

I don't have any updates really at the moment. I'm sitting twiddling my thumbs. We should get our results back next week at the earliest and hopefully we aren't carriers for anything and can start soon. By my dates we should be starting the pill by April 2nd.

Disambiguation,

So sorry i had read your post wrong,it was tomtum who has a child already.Im blaming the meds for that :)
    Im not on the pill,have been off that over 6 years now,i presume its the contraception pill you are talking about?
    As far as i know an ivf treatment can be cancelled at any stage like you stage,after downreg or not enough follies or no eggs fertilising etc.
    So basically i started the down reg injections day 21 from my last period.Im due into the clinic next monday for my baseline which is to see how im responding to the down reg and hopefully if its going the way the doc would like i would hope to start my other injections of menopur to produce as many eggs as possible but i wont really know until my baseline.My could be cancelled at any stage but i hope it all goes the way its supposed to.
    I have heard of many different side effects from the down reg injections ,some are headaches,hot flushes,mood swings ,being emotional etc though have read also that alot of women dont get any of them at all so it really depends on the individual really.
    Im really sorry about your husbands accident when he was a child and i really hope this works for you.You should think positive even though i know thats hard.
    Im trying to have a positive mental attitude about it, as i had a negative thought when doing iui and didnt work plus im doing the acupuncture this time so hoping thats going to help also.The acupuncturist told me i had been eating all the wrong foods and asked if i always felt cold which i do,have always felt the cold more so than anyone else, so i've to eat more hot food and has to be full fat also.have you thought about doing acupuncture at all? if anything its meant to relax you and calm you, even though i know its more money and ivf is dear enough but im doing everything i can to help this work first time.

Disambiguation,

So sorry i had read your post wrong,it was tomtum who has a child already.Im blaming the meds for that :)
    Im not on the pill,have been off that over 6 years now,i presume its the contraception pill you are talking about?
    As far as i know an ivf treatment can be cancelled at any stage like you stage,after downreg or not enough follies or no eggs fertilising etc.
    So basically i started the down reg injections day 21 from my last period.Im due into the clinic next monday for my baseline which is to see how im responding to the down reg and hopefully if its going the way the doc would like i would hope to start my other injections of menopur to produce as many eggs as possible but i wont really know until my baseline.My could be cancelled at any stage but i hope it all goes the way its supposed to.
    I have heard of many different side effects from the down reg injections ,some are headaches,hot flushes,mood swings ,being emotional etc though have read also that alot of women dont get any of them at all so it really depends on the individual really.
    Im really sorry about your husbands accident when he was a child and i really hope this works for you.You should think positive even though i know thats hard.
    Im trying to have a positive mental attitude about it, as i had a negative thought when doing iui and didnt work plus im doing the acupuncture this time so hoping thats going to help also.The acupuncturist told me i had been eating all the wrong foods and asked if i always felt cold which i do,have always felt the cold more so than anyone else, so i've to eat more hot food and has to be full fat also.have you thought about doing acupuncture at all? if anything its meant to relax you and calm you, even though i know its more money and ivf is dear enough but im doing everything i can to help this work first time.
    Oh I see. I might have the wrong end of the stick in how I thought it was going to go for me. I thought I started the pill with injectables to down regulate. Perhaps that isn’t the way at all. That is why I asked if you were on the pill now- I meant as part of the down regulation protocol.

Sigh. It is all a pain the the a$$ isn't it. I got bad news today and it seems because somebody c0cked up we can't start next cycle. I can't decide if I want to cry or get angry. I feel like we are really getting the short straw these days and it sucks.

I'm sure your scan will be perfect and you can start stimming those eggs. Keep the faith.

Where are you doing treatment? Do you want to say?

Disambiguation,
    You might not have got the wrong end of the stick at all, there are all types of different meds and protocol for ivf as far as i know.Im sure i have read on other websites about women having to go on the pill when going to do ivf, i think it depends on your own situation as to why havnt concieved yet or if there are any problems with yourself or partner and also i think different clinics have different protocols.
    Excuse the language but i would be very pissed off if i got that news today.All the wiating and getting close to it and then that happens,having to wait longer.Are you with your clinic long? If their not satisfying you maybe you should check out other clinics who wont make those type of mistakes on you.This whole process is hard enough.What clinic are you attending? Im attending clane infertility, i find them really nice down there and the nurses and staff are very friendly and plus they are slightly cheaper than te dublin clinics.

I really am so sad/angry about it. I am on Day 4 today and for the last 4 days we have been so happy to be on the final countdown to our treatment, saying 'only 27, 26, 25 and now 24 days to go'.

Except today it is going to be May before we can start. It is awful. Male factor is our only issue (hubbie was injured when he was a boy) so this is our first and only step with the clinic, we have to have IVF. IVF with ICSI to be exact.

I really can't believe it. We are so stunned, to not even be able to start. It is crazy.

Thats awfull.Do you not get your bloods done inthe clinic or do you have to go elsewhere? My clinic does our bloods in the clinic and we always have the results by the end of the day.
    Surely it is the clinics or labs fault for messing up,if they were done last month they should have know well before now that your bloods had to be done?Do you have to pay more money jst for them messing up?
    Are there no other ivf clinics in cork or somewhere near cork that wouldnt involve alot of travelling?
    I really feel for you and your partner. I would be on the war path if that was me.
    Is there any where else even that you can get bloods done that would get you your results faster? i presume its bloods for hiv,hep c and b is it?
    I know by law every couple have to have them done before doing ivf.
    We're having ours done next monday morning and they'll have results after lunch

No, because of our situation we had to have chromosomal analysis done on our bloods; to check for abnormalities or if we are carriers for specific syndromes. (I wonder if this needs to be done in all ICSI cases or not - but either way the clinic have insisted and I would too even if they didn't.) Our EU bloods were done months ago along with our fertility bloodwork.

Sigh...

ah disambiguation im so sorry.
    And is there no way at all of getting those tests rushed along so you wont have to wait?I know the labs probably have hundreds of those blood tests to do but the fact that they seemed to have messed up then the 2nd set of bloods should be priority should they not?

• Advertisement

That is what I thought. But the clinic are sure that it takes a min of 21 days to do these tests and they only draw the bloods for courier mon-wed. If you add it up; Monday (5 days away) + 21 days is too late for us, this cycle. Thank you for asking; it really sucks!

Sucks isnt the word for it,I think its a disgrace what they have done.
    You shouldnt have to pay for them either as it wasnt your fault they messed up.
    Sorry for going on about it but i wouldnt put up with that type of treatment, their messing people around with all their messing up.They should have paid for a courier to get your bloods done today and sent to them today or is the lab far from u? can you get the bloods done there instead of having them sent over?

Yeah. I hear you, I did the angry thing earlier. But the bottom line is the bloods have to be sent off to London- the clinic won't draw them until monday and that is that.

I am reluctant to sound off at the clinic before I even start treatment - these guys hold our future babies- best not to upset them.

But thank you for the support!

Awh god London ! I do agree with you, you dont want to be getting off on the wrong foot with the clinic before even starting
    Im so sorry that all this has happened to you's, is so unfair.
    Fingers crossed for you that the next 2 months fly in for you, on the bright side it will be worth the extra wait when you get pregnant:)
    Yourself and Dh should take yourselves out for a nice dinner or something at the weekend, treat yourselves :)
    Keep me posted as you go along even if you just want to let off steam or whatever

Thanks honey, right back at you. I want to hear about how you get on.

Hi Tomtum06 how are you going? whens your test date?Hope your doing ok
    Disambiguation, Did you get your bloods done yesterday.I hope they dont mess up again in the lab

Well i went for my baseline scan and bloods yesterday and all was fine so the doctor said i can start on the menopur injections this thursday so delighted with that :) Then back for a scan next wednesday to see how the follies are going.
    Dying with a cold today,feel like crap.Think my head is gonna explode :)
    Ah hopefully it'll go soon

well not much to report here. am in middle of my 2ww. am due to take my test on thursday, but might hold off. at least then i won't know if it is negative!
    how u getting on shellbabe?

Tomtum06 thats great, your nearly there, i really hope you get your bfp :)
    Do you not have to go to your clinic on thursday for them to do a pregnancy blood test? They do that in my clinic,though maybe they dont do that at every clinic.
    Im doing good thanks, have reduced the amount for my down reg injections and started on stimming with menopur on thursday so today is day 4 on that and im back at the clinic on wednesday for a scan to see how many follies i have and what size so im hoping it'll be good, fingers crossed.
    Do let me know how you go, it must be so exciting for you being almost there :) The very very best of luck with testing :)

Am nervous alright! Bought the test today, so am very tempted to do it now! Don't think there is any point though, too early! Roll on Thursday! I only go back to the clinic if I get a positive. They scan me three later.
    Hope your scan goes well for u and your follies are happy!

• Advertisement

Tomtum did you test yet? dying to know how you got on.I really hope you got a bfp :)
    As for me ,went to the clinic yesterday and had my scan, was very disappointed as i only had 4 follies, 2 measuring at 12mm and 11mm and 2 very small ones but they told me to keep stimming and im to go back tommorrow for another scan though im not very hopefull now, it could be cancelled and have to start all over again :mad:

Advertisement