Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skyfest 19th March

Options
  • 22-02-2011 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Im just looking for some local info regarding car parking close to the skyfest show on the quays.

Best place to park?

Where is a good position on the quays for the show?

AA route planner gives a journey time of 2 hrs from M50 in Dublin. Is this accurate?

Thanks all
    Rich

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

2 hours is near enough but probably a little less.

If travelling just for the day take exit 23 for Gorey off the M11 and follow signs for Ballycanew (NOT Wexford or you will be back on the M11). When you get to Ballycanew you can follow signs for Wexford. As you reach Wexford just before the bridge there is parking on the left-hand side beside the Riverbank Hotel.

You can then stay on that side of the bridge and walk to the side of the river. Great view across the river of all the fireworks. If you want to get closer walk across the bridge and turn left down the quays. The crowds will be bigger but if you head down towards the Crescent (about 500/600 yards) they usually thin out a bit and the view is still good.

It will be easier to get away after the event when parked on the northern side of the bridge.

If staying over, depending on where you are staying you might be better following the M11 to its end and carrying on through Enniscorthy to Wexford. In that case you will come into Wexford on the town side of the bridge. There is parking at the end of 1798 Street (used to be the Cinema car park until the cinema closed but the building is still there). Hard to describe when someone is not familiar with the area. You will probably be arriving, whichever way you decide, when payment hours for parking are stll in force. Street parking and Cinema are around €1.50 per hour. If you want on-street free parking you will have quite a long walk as most of the town streets have machines. It is only a short walk to the bridge and quays from the Cinema car park.

Whites Hotel has €2.00 per hour parking but you would need to ask directions on the day as the access point is in a side street away from the quays. It is very central though and, if there is room, worth the extra charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Very well explained Mongarra, I think ill park near that Riverbank hotel and cross the bridge for the better view. Ill pop down early afternoon with the kids and get a bite to eat. I dont mind paying a few quid for parking, it will be cheaper than staying over anyway.

Thanks
    Rich

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Mongarra wrote: »
    There is parking at the end of 1798 Street (used to be the Cinema car park until the cinema closed but the building is still there).

Actually that car park is the train station car park it opens shortly before the first train in the morning arrives from Rosslare in the morning and closes after the last train leaves for Rosslare at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Actually that car park is the train station car park it opens shortly before the first train in the morning arrives from Rosslare in the morning and closes after the last train leaves for Rosslare at night.

But commonly known as the cinema carpark...

Where exactly are they firing the fireworks from...shoreline...a barge???

• Advertisement

Not sure, but when they have the fireworks for the opening of the Opera Festival they usually use an old structure in the middle of the river/estuary called the Ballast Bank and a new pier-type structure on the quays.

I understand that they are asking the fishing trawlers normally berthed on the quays to move to the other side of the river to give a better view on the quay side of the bridge. Just as well you had decided to cross the bridge after parking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Anyone know what time the actual fireworks start at??

According to Wexford People newspaper street entertainment starts at 18.30 and fireworks (live on RTÉ 1) at 19.30. Lotto draw live from Wexford at approximately 20.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

some more info for people on whats going on...well trad music wise anyway !

http://www.stpatricksfestival.ie/index.php/events/wexford-information

nice to see the thomas moore tavern listed in there... must check it out soon ...

looks like this is gonna be a hectic few days !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Is Skyfest ticketed this year like previous years or can you just show up?

• Advertisement

pooch90 wrote: »
    Is Skyfest ticketed this year like previous years or can you just show up?

What:eek:, how can it be ticketed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

When it was on in cashel you had to apply online for free tickets. You were only allowed into the official area with a ticket. Was never asked to show the ticket though.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fitness fan

Mongarra wrote: »
    2 hours is near enough but probably a little less.

You can then stay on that side of the bridge and walk to the side of the river. Great view across the river of all the fireworks. If you want to get closer walk across the bridge and turn left down the quays. The crowds will be bigger but if you head down towards the Crescent (about 500/600 yards) they usually thin out a bit and the view is still good.

It will be easier to get away after the event when parked on the northern side of the bridge.

Not 100% on this But I saw a notice that Wexford Bridge will be closed as its being used as part of the display so parking by Riverbank won't really be an option

Not 100% on this But I saw a notice that Wexford Bridge will be closed as its being used as part of the display so parking by Riverbank won't really be an option

From the looks of things on google maps the view from the riverbank hotel side wont be bad anyway, if I cannot cross the bridge. Or does anybody have any other recommendations as to where to park and view the fireworks.:confused:

Drive down through Enniscorthy into Ferrycarrig and immediately after the Ferry carrig bridge thae a left go under the railway bridge and stay left. This will bring you into town and there is parking just before Dunnes Stores on your left (private car park) loads of spaces there and a quick escape route back out the same road when you are finished.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

You could come in by castlebridge. I want to photograph it so does anyone have a definite of where they're setting them off from? I'd like to incorporate the town into the photo's as well. I was thinking of shooting from the tip of ferrybank

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

JayEnnis wrote: »
    You could come in by castlebridge. I want to photograph it so does anyone have a definite of where they're setting them off from? I'd like to incorporate the town into the photo's as well. I was thinking of shooting from the tip of ferrybank

Thinking the same myself,where would be the best vantage point without having to go into town,will have the little lad with me.

I'm gonna drive over tomorrow evening and see I'm thinking either of these points but still need to check them out.

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭psomers

There seems to be confusion regarding what roads are closed, how easy it will be to access the quay, where to park and what events are on for the Wexford Skyfest 2011, therefore to help every one, you can get all the info here - If you know of any events that are not listed on this website let them know and they will add them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭psomers

Parking – Travel – Road Distruption

Parking Map – skyfest.bmp
    View Skyfest 2011 Parking Locations in a larger map
    Footpath Closures:
    Date: Friday March 18th – Saturday March 19th
    Duration : 09:00 Friday March 18th – 20:30 Saturday March 19th
    Reason : Public safety during the fireworks display, to prevent public access to the fireworks safety and firing zone and to facilitate the installation of fireworks along the bridge.
    Footpath closed:
    Wexford Bridge – Southside pedestrian footpath closed.
    The footpath will be fenced off at either end and security personnel will be present to assist and direct pedestrians throughout the closure.

Road Closures (Wexford Town):
    Date: Saturday March 19th
    Duration : 18:30 – 20:30
    Reason : Pedestrian viewing area
    Roads Closed:
    Commercial Quay
    Cresent Quay
    Paul Quay
    Date: Saturday March 19th
    Duration : 18:30 – 20:30
    Reason : To provide safe pedestrian access to and from public viewing areas

Map of Parking locations

• Advertisement

Anyone know what time the firework display starts is it before or after the Lotto draw ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

7.30pm, followed by the Lotto draw..

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭robh71

some additional info here and the most deailed I found so far. Interestingly its a .se website!

http://irland.se/us/ireland-things-to-see-and-do/whats-on/listings/gss/product/?fid=FI_85967

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Drive down through Enniscorthy into Ferrycarrig and immediately after the Ferry carrig bridge thae a left go under the railway bridge and stay left. This will bring you into town and there is parking just before Dunnes Stores on your left (private car park) loads of spaces there and a quick escape route back out the same road when you are finished.:)

Gardai intend to use this route as a one way system out of town on the evening of the Skyfest, no traffic will be allowed to turn right or left from the N11 onto the R730 (Ferrycarrig to Redmond Square). Also Wexford Bridge is being used as a stage for a "waterfall of fireworks" on the evening so no pedestrians will be allowed to cross the bridge on the day of the Skyfest for safety reasons.

Hope this helps

DC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Thanks to everyone for the info in this thread. I am travelling from Clare and making a weekend of it. I have accomodation booked at Talbots. I had planned to check in there & leave the car & walk over the bridge. I want to get photos with the town as backdrop. Above it is suggesting that the bridge is closed to pediastrian access. On this website http://southeastbusiness.ie/skyfest-2011/parking-travel-road-distruption/ it says the 'southside' path is closed. As i don't know wexford at all, are there two paths on the bridge, thus making walking across still possible until the bridge is fully closed? Given that te bridge is going to be a focal point where would people suggest for great photographic vantage points?

Thanks,
    Mel.b

mel.b wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for the info in this thread. I am travelling from Clare and making a weekend of it. I have accomodation booked at Talbots. I had planned to check in there & leave the car & walk over the bridge. I want to get photos with the town as backdrop. Above it is suggesting that the bridge is closed to pediastrian access. On this website http://southeastbusiness.ie/skyfest-2011/parking-travel-road-distruption/ it says the 'southside' path is closed. As i don't know wexford at all, are there two paths on the bridge, thus making walking across still possible until the bridge is fully closed? Given that te bridge is going to be a focal point where would people suggest for great photographic vantage points?

Thanks,
    Mel.b

there are 2 paths on the bridge but as far as I know the entire bridge will be closed at 4 o clock tomorrow. I f come out of the Talbot and turn right until you see Trinity Motors ( about 5 min walk) there is a gap stroll in there to rough ground and there is a good view of the bridge. Check it out during the day

Bridge is closed for all access, planes , trains, automobiles, pedestrians (well not planes maybe!) from 16:00 -- 21:00

3 options -
    Shoot from the quay with no real backdrop of the town.
    Shoot from Ferrybank. This involves getting over prior to bridge closure. This entails a wait of approx 3 1/2 hours, during which you can have a few in the Riverbank courtesy of Mick and watch England loose out on the Grand Slam (kick off 17:00)in the Aviva!
    3rd option avoids the long wait, if you take detour through Crossabeg and cope with the huge traffic jams this will involve.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

What did people think of the Skyfest last night???

I couldn't make it due to a friends anniversary mass but I'd like to know as well, I've heard mixed opinions

• Advertisement

In a word wet, which dampened all moods. The emphasis was more on enduring the weather as opposed to enjoying the spectacle, which was impressive. A widespread anti-climax could be felt after the show I felt

Advertisement