Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P7P55D-E LX with i5 760 - thoughts?

Options
  • 22-02-2011 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-intel-performance-bundle--includes-asus-p7p55d-e-lx-motherboard---intel-core-i5-760-2-8-ghz-cpu--73GZ.html

My current build is giving me trouble so am looking to upgrade my MB/CPU/memory. The above combination looks good for the price (€291.48). Of course, on top of that, I need to add memory.

My main concern is cold boot problems. I have those with my current MB (Asus PK5 Deluxe with WiFi) - have never been sure are they ambient-temperature related or memory-related (Kingston HyperX). The list of recommended memory (no direct link available for the Asus site, unfortunately) recommends a small selection of memory from each of the main manufacturers. It also recommends memory from DDR3-1067Mhz up to DDR3-2000Mhz. Obviously faster=better, however, faster requires you to enable the DRAM O.C. I'm not sure I want to buy memory that forces me to overclock, since that might be unstable. Any advice? Also, should I go for evenly matched pairs/quads, or get a kit of 3?

Cheers,

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

System specs?

What exactly's wrong with your current setup? Slow boot times, not POSTing, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Serephucus wrote: »
    System specs?

What exactly's wrong with your current setup? Slow boot times, not POSTing, etc.

Current specs:

Asus PK5 Deluxe with WiFi
    Intel Q6600 CPU with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    4x1GB Kingston HyperX memory
    GTX 560 TI
    Corsair TX750 750W PSU

The problem is simply not posting. No beeps, nothing. Quite a large number of owners of the same MB series get similar problems.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

I haven't looked at anything Sandy Bridge related due to the recall - how do I know whether or not which MBs could be affected?

P.

dont worry about the recall it only affects usb3 withch i doubt you have hard drive wise

• Advertisement

massy086 wrote: »
    dont worry about the recall it only affects usb3 withch i doubt you have hard drive wise

Looking at benchmark, it's definitely a better choice. I'm wondering is there an ATX format MB rather than mATX you'd recommend though - my PC is already pretty tightly pack and I'll be using an ATX case anyway.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    Looking at benchmark, it's definitely a better choice. I'm wondering is there an ATX format MB rather than mATX you'd recommend though - my PC is already pretty tightly pack and I'll be using an ATX case anyway.

P.
    the board i listed is atx :D:D

the board i listed is atx :D:D

Sorry about that - I think I ended up reading a review of the mATX form of that board.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

NO!

The SB recall is due to the SATA controller. SATA ports 2+ (0 and 1 still work), will slowly die, possibly loosing you data.

For anyone that did buy an SB motherboard, they'll get a replacement when Intel ships the new ones. Dunno if that applies to anyone who buys one after the recall was started though. (I assume it does).

Serephucus wrote: »
    NO!

The SB recall is due to the SATA controller. SATA ports 2+ (0 and 1 still work), will slowly die, possibly loosing you data.

For anyone that did buy an SB motherboard, they'll get a replacement when Intel ships the new ones. Dunno if that applies to anyone who buys one after the recall was started though. (I assume it does).

Presumably the one being advertised is the old one, so I should wait? (I'm not in a particular hurry.) Also, how can one tell if a motherboard you're buying is an updated one issued after the recall?

P.

• Advertisement

the board will probably be v1 or v2 or a quick email to the suppler normaly works

Advertisement