Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading tails

Options
  • 22-02-2011 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

on a fuseboard upgrade

-will ESBN accept new 16sq tails entering the top of an existing cabinet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

also a related question:

i need esbn out to break seal so i can replace board

and reconnect new tails

-probably not on same day

anyone know the total cost for this -customer is a mate and i said i'd find out

usually i pull the cut-out without breaking seal:)and connect new 16sq tails to old 10sqt+e temorarily but the seal is too tight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

M cebee wrote: »
    on a fuseboard upgrade

-will ESBN accept new 16sq tails entering the top of an existing cabinet

had this before and i was pulled up on it when they came out to connect
    they said that their work is routinely inspected and they would not allow it
    in fairness they allowed me to alter the position of entry when they de-energised the installation
    i stuck a blankplate over the top hole
    i dont think they had much on at the time but it didnt hold them up that much
    there was a cost for the upgrade approx 130euro
    only i call though
    im sure they wouldnt charge you for de-energising though

ya

i might blank the top and re-route to bottom -right but it's tricky

you reckon they may not charge for de-energize?

i usually do that trick of loosening the cut-out-probably totally illegal:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

"i might blank the top and re-route to bottom -right but it's tricky"

same problem
    but when old tails were disconnected i could prise the cabinet out and re route the new tails into bottom hole
    esb lads were obliging enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »
    ya

i might blank the top and re-route to bottom -right but it's tricky

you reckon they may not charge for de-energize?

i usually do that trick of loosening the cut-out-probably totally illegal:pac:

Just cut the seal off. Or connect live. If you are getting them out to connect your new tails anyway, cutting the seal off would seem to be not the worst thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Handiest thing is probably as Robbie says to chop the cables live and reconnect them to the 16sq with connectors as a temp measure.
    The wedge behind the cut-out seems to be a widespread practice;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Ring your local ESBN office tell them you are going to cut the seal to upgrade tails as a safety issue and you need them to re-seal it. No charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭perry stanley

Geee man:( some of you guys have more lives than a cat.
    It almost certain that the ESB will not be so lenient as they may have been before. I reckon you are going to need a completion cert to get that going.
    Definitely dont undo anything until you find out for sure.

beanie10 wrote: »
    Ring your local ESBN office tell them you are going to cut the seal to upgrade tails as a safety issue and you need them to re-seal it. No charge.

Yea not a bad idea, something i have done a few times a few years ago myself. But have also just cut the tails live and put connectors on until they come to connect new tails in properly.

Geee man:( some of you guys have more lives than a cat.
    It almost certain that the ESB will not be so lenient as they may have been before. I reckon you are going to need a completion cert to get that going.
    Definitely dont undo anything until you find out for sure.

Sack me...... I made the ESB...

• Advertisement

i will do one of the above suggestions-usually the cut-out will pull out enough to isolate supply

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

I'd be hesitant enough to go breaking seals or working on the ESBN cutout because where as most of the metering lads are sound all it takes is one jobsworth to come along and you could end up in quite alot of trouble for something that could be easily enough avoided, just saying be careful lads!

Advertisement