Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masking tape removes paint

• 22-02-2011 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all,

I have been decorating a room painting ceilings and walls.

I started with the ceilings and then masked the edges of them to paint the walls.

However, now that I am removing the tape, it is peeling off the paint under it.

Is there any way to prevent this? The paint was dry a good two weeks before it was masked.

Robbie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I find masking tape is horrible for this. End up having to repaint the other surface which kind of defeats the purpose of using in the first place.

You could try a damp cloth and moisten the tape before trying to remove this might soften the adhesive...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭TigerTim

There is a tape you can buy called "Low tack tape". Sticks a bit like the PostIt's we use in the office. It's not chaep but for a once off job, it works.
    If you take your time & cut-in with a good brush, you could avoid the need to mask. That tape is available from paint shops.

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

robdunne wrote: »
    However, now that I am removing the tape, it is peeling off the paint under it.

Is there any way to prevent this? The paint was dry a good two weeks before it was masked.

Robbie

Been there done that - getting it off now without taking the paint with it will be a pain - you may find less paint comes off if you pull the tape back very slowly rather than using the simpler option of pulling the tape down from the ceiling.

For the future, low tack tape has already been mentionned and it does make a difference. The other thing that will always apply with sticking things is the length of time the tape is on - I used to prep an entire room and then do the actual painting a while later (days sometimes...) but now I apply a few lengths of tape, paint where it is and then immediately remove the tape - can be a bit messy as you will be handling tape with wet paint on it but seems to work much better.

I've also tried to reduce the amount I use masking for - with mixed results. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

its too late now but there is masking tape you can buy for this sort of thing that doesn't peel the paint off but its bloody expensive compared to the norm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭KaiserMc

If you run the masking tape on your clothes three or four times it will take off most of the stick, this is what i do and it works grand.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Sparkpea wrote: »
    its too late now but there is masking tape you can buy for this sort of thing that doesn't peel the paint off but its bloody expensive compared to the norm!

Painters "blue" tape.

Does the job,but as you say,,bloody well expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Good brush and steady hand, that's all you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

looks easier than it is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,224 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Yeah, for me a good brush is the main thing,

When cutting in I prefer to paint as if i were using a scraper, i think that is the best way to describe it! -

With a good tipped brush this creates a perfect line. Keeping the brush handle pointing towards me, therefore the brush at a 45 degree angle to where the wall and ceiling or wall and wall meet it makes it much easier.

It's hard to explain and is unconventional but it works :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I find you don't need a small brush to do it either. A 4" is just as good.

I start with the brush in the wall, and run it along and up to the corner and along. creates a nice edge along the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭MinnyMinor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I finally tried out my paint pad pro this morning.

Its not great for painting a large wall surface,but its the mutts nutts for painting along skirting board or into corners.

No need for any masking tape what so ever and it left a flawless straight painted edge with no paint run of either.

So its good for edging anyway.:D

Advertisement