Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big price difference between Savage arms and CZ 527 in .223

Options
  • 22-02-2011 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

Hello!

Why is there such a large price difference between savage arms rifles in .223 and a CZ 527 in .223.

Obviously accuracy and build quality would be a large factor but for a first time rifle would it be Ok to get a savage arms model and save yourself several hundred euro?

Sorry if this thread is like asking "How long is a piece of string?".

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Unfortunately the only people to answer that is Savage themselves. I can only guess that its down to quantity, but unlike other "mass produced" rifle there is no drop in build quality.

Take the Model 12 FTR. When they came here first they were going for €1550. The stock was, and still is kinda crap, but with Bartlein doing the barrels the FTR was able to compete with the best of Factory and even custom rifles at a fraction of the cost. That lead to their success in the shooting world, and at that price i know of 3 lads that have a Savage simply as a second or even third rifle.

I've seen adverts from Savage Arms where a rifle was taken out of the box, a scope mounted, and then shot in a comp. Granted the shooter was Darrell Buell, but he won.

Getting back to your original question, i believe that Savage have concentrated on the barrel and kept costs down by "lowering" the quality of the stocks. Add that to the quantity they produce, the American market, and other factors i couldn't even think off.

Good question though. Bit of a head scratcher.:)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Thanks for the quick response.

I was actually just onto my gun dealer and am calling him back at 3pm as hes looking into a new CZ 527 and remmy varmint in .223 for me.

Should have asked him to prive a savage arms as well. Ill ask him when I'm back onto him later.

Arcto wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick response.

No work, ya gotta love it. :rolleyes::D
    Should have asked him to price a savage arms as well. Ill ask him when I'm back onto him later.

No harm in asking. When it comes to .223 caliber rifles they are often "overlooked". If they are as good as their larger caliber rifles then i would definitely look at them. You could possibly get a top Savage .223 for the same price as an entry level Remmy of CZ.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Yeah I don't understand the lack of second hand .223's going around. It is the military standard round of most of the world!

What would be a good savage arms in .223?

Have a browse through them. Savage .223s.

They go from $350 to $1350 depending on stock, barrel, action, etc. Best thing is though, with taxes, duty, and the exchange rate the price in dollars will be close enough to the price it will cost you in Euro from the dealers.

• Advertisement

K just got off the phone awhile ago, He wont order in Savage Arms as he said hes had problems with them over the years :(

Hell do a new Remington sps 700 Varmint for €890, synthetic with non stainless barrel. That's about average, right? He'll also have to get it from the north as his dealer doesn't have any in stock for awhile, so thats 3-4 weeks onto the wait time. Garr!

His dealer also never heard of a CZ 527 :eek: (wth?)

I think I might go for the Remington, its not a bad starter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

If you do go the rem. chances are witin a month or two you'll want to change the stock (espiecaly the sps) and have to change the trigger.

A dealer who hasn't heard of a CZ 527 :eek: is to my mind a dealer who doesn't know his arse from his head. They are and have been the most popular make of foxing (.22 hornet, .222 and .223) rifle in the UK and Ireland for decades!!!

Yes I am a CZ fan ;)

But with good reason.

Spend a little more and buy the CZ 527 Kevlar stock varmint and only buy ONCE!!!

IMG_0155.jpg

Just my opinion,

Fish

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shanmoll308

What Fish said ;) (sps= sh*t plastic stock)

Yeah I thought it odd he'd never heard of one as well....but hes been around donkeys years.

Oh well :D

€890 all right for a new sps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

The brother has an sps varmint in .223 and can get a little over 1/2" groups @ 100yds with it out of the box. But he was one of the lucky ones as some are a frustration. Think he paid 860 for it at the time. Good starter though and if you're into pimping it out no better optin than a remmy for aftermarket parts and accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Yeah I thought it odd he'd never heard of one as well....but hes been around donkeys years.?

Next time your talking to him ask has he heard of a Bruno 527?!

If he is around donkey years then he probably still calls them Brunos!

Yes, I have seen some nice custom work on them. All I need now is a bottomless pit of money, hehe.

To achieve higher accuracy what would I be looking at? Apart from a new barrel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

kay 9 wrote: »
    The brother has an sps varmint in .223 and can get a little over 1/2" groups @ 100yds with it out of the box. But he was one of the lucky ones as some are a frustration. Think he paid 860 for it at the time. Good starter though and if you're into pimping it out no better optin than a remmy for aftermarket parts and accessories.

Aye, pay a the bones of a grand for a hunting rifle and spend the same again to make it shoot straight, that sort of summarises the Remington SPS by the sounds of it.

The CZ 527, which should cost you about the same as the Remington SPS, on the other hand kinda goes like this: buy rifle, scopemounts put on your old scope or a new one as you please, take it out to the local bog to zero and Bob's your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Yes, I have seen some nice custom work on them. All I need now is a bottomless pit of money, hehe.

To achieve higher accuracy what would I be looking at? Apart from a new barrel?

Well for the Remington try changing the stock, then the action, then the trigger, then the bolt, then the barrel with parts from the CZ 527 until you have a custom Remington that shoots like a CZ

The Savage rifles shoot well out of the box. But it's hard to source the one you may want in this country without ordering it in. The model 16's have the accruetrigger and an accurestock (spelling?) bedding system as standard. But again it's hard to find a dealer that stocks them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

clivej wrote: »
    Well for the Remington try changing the stock, then the action, then the trigger, then the bolt, then the barrel with parts from the CZ 527 until you have a custom Remington that shoots like a CZ

Did you not Re-Stock a Pillar bed, Devcon,Timney and Picatinny CZ recently??;)

Pot Kettle Black :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

That was his sako! :D

patsat wrote: »

he also did his .22lr!!

patsat wrote: »
    he also did his .22lr!!

"Did you not Re-Stock a Pillar bed, Devcon,Timney and Picatinny CZ recently"

You forgot about the new extra strong firing pin spring as well.

And it still shoots as well as it did before.
    Sure I have a pot of Devcon to use up somehow.

I put in the pillars 'cos I got new allen key head action screws and now I can tighten up the screws without a torque wrench.

• Advertisement

"Did you not Re-Stock a Pillar bed, Devcon,Timney and Picatinny CZ recently"

You forgot about the new extra strong firing pin spring as well.

And it still shoots as well as it did before.
    Sure I have a pot of Devcon to use up somehow.

I put in the pillars 'cos I got new allen key head action screws and now I can tighten up the screws without a torque wrench.

Well will ya lay off slagging me then!!
    Just because I am putting a custom barrel on my .223 she still says Remington on the side :D
    And the stock is Factory(ish) Karsten to allow for a large scope.
    Moderator to protect my hearing

The Savage FTR .308 is very accurate but I hate the look of her, each to their own.

some lads do up Rally cars, I do up Rifles!

Well will ya lay off slagging me then!!
    Just because I am putting a custom barrel on my .223 she still says Remington on the side :D
    And the stock is Factory(ish) Karsten to allow for a large scope.
    Moderator to protect my hearing

The Savage FTR .308 is very accurate but I hate the look of her, each to their own.

some lads do up Rally cars, I do up Rifles!

Ah come off it tack I did not slag you in this thread just the Rifle you praise highly, so it's time you came down off your high horse.

And if you noted anything you will see that I am not replying to your posts in a negitive way NOW

Ah come off it tack I did not slag you in this thread just the Rifle you praise highly, so it's time you came down off your high horse.

And if you noted anything you will see that I am not replying to your posts in a negitive way NOW

I've no high horse Clive, that piebald died long ago.

We both love different things

Reminds me of the liverpool united boys having there idea on which is better

Advertisement