Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lidl and aldi biker gear???

• 22-02-2011 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Howdy all, anyone know when lidl or aldi are stocking the motorcycle gear again?:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

Theres a post on Biker.ie saying the motorbike gear is coming back to Aldi on the 3rd March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

about time they have the gear in again,,badly in need of a new pair of gloves :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...too right.

The bike socks are very good: I've been using them all winter in my work boots as well, and they're great.

Ditto on the thermals, btw.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...too right.

The bike socks are very good: I've been using them all winter in my work boots as well, and they're great.

Ditto on the thermals, btw.

Hope you washed em? :D

Got a jacket, thermals btm + tops and some of those socks. All fine except for the jacket which leaked like a sieve in heavy rain so it became another enduro jacket. Ripped (actually pop studs) out the liner and it's still in one piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Howdy all, anyone know when lidl or aldi are stocking the motorcycle gear again?:D

here ya go...

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week09Thursday11.htm?WT.z_src=main

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Must be time for the annual "el cheapo" helmet debate :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Antiquo wrote: »
    Hope you washed em? :D.

LOL
    EvilMonkey wrote: »

Indeed: is it that time of year already ?? :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Whatever about the helmet and jacket, the base layers and boots are excellent. I bought a pair of Aldi Boots in 2006 and they still don't leak(unlike the FTs)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

The gear was always over priced in bike shops anyway, although, I got a lovely Goretex jacket for €50 in the Lee Honda Centre last year, couldn't believe my luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

EvilMonkey wrote: »

What ever about the cheapo helmet debate, I wouldn't buy a Lidl or Aldi helmet unless I was 1st in the store on the day they go on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Looking at picking up some gear on Thursday myself. Think I'll be getting the gloves, trousers, and possibly the jacket. I just need the gear so I can start taking lessons. I've been told not to bother with the boots because they're uncomfortable. This begs the question, what should I wear instead? I have a good pair of North Face hiking boots that are really comfortable and tough. Would they be too bulky?

I'm heading to the bike show on Friday, any chance of getting a bargain or two there? Mainly looking for a helmet and jacket.

dceire wrote: »
    Looking at picking up some gear on Thursday myself. Think I'll be getting the gloves, trousers, and possibly the jacket. I just need the gear so I can start taking lessons. I've been told not to bother with the boots because they're uncomfortable. This begs the question, what should I wear instead? I have a good pair of North Face hiking boots that are really comfortable and tough. Would they be too bulky?

I'm heading to the bike show on Friday, any chance of getting a bargain or two there? Mainly looking for a helmet and jacket.

Hiking boots aren't really suitable for biking. I know several people with lild/aldi boots with no complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Yeah, as I said earlier, while their boots may not be as stylish as the big names, they are functionally and safety wise, just as good for a fraction of the price. If I had not bought a pair of boots in the UK before christmas(whose zip has since failed) I would be buying the Aldi Boots.

I'd forget the helmet though. It's something not worth skimping on.

I still plan on getting my helmet elsewhere, possibly at the bike show, but how bad can the helmet be? Don't all helmets have to pass the same safety standards?

I still plan on getting my helmet elsewhere, possibly at the bike show, but how bad can the helmet be? Don't all helmets have to pass the same safety standards?

I'm sure the helmet is fine, it's the way they are handled on the floor by the customers that puts me off.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'm sure the helmet is fine, it's the way they are handled on the floor by the customers that puts me off.

Ah, I see. I'd imagine the staff aren't much better :rolleyes: when it comes to being careful with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I just have a perhaps irrational dislike of polycarbonate helmets, the sun doesn't do them any favours compared with glass/kevlar/dyneema lids.
    You can get pretty good helmets at reasonable prices now, not quite Lidl prices but considering the contents of the helmet, I tend to think a little more money spent is not too much in the scheme of things.
    say E300 divided over 365 days is 0.82c per day.
    My head is worth more than a Mcdonalds hamburger, probably not much more but:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 barrkel

You might find this interesting:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

Looks like polycarbonate helmets are marginally safer because they deliver fewer Gs to the brain; but simultaneously, they're more dangerous to buy in unsophisticated contexts because you have no idea what the EPS looks like under the shell, and polycarbonate deforms rather than delaminates or cracks, hiding any past hits.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I just have a perhaps irrational dislike of polycarbonate helmets, the sun doesn't do them any favours compared with glass/kevlar/dyneema lids.
    You can get pretty good helmets at reasonable prices now, not quite Lidl prices but considering the contents of the helmet, I tend to think a little more money spent is not too much in the scheme of things.
    say E300 divided over 365 days is 0.82c per day.
    My head is worth more than a Mcdonalds hamburger, probably not much more but:D

You've too much money changing your lid every year:D

I can't remember for sure but I think they recommend changing helmets ever 5 years if the helmet isn't showing any signs of wear and tear. Thought I've done a quick google and some sites came back with 2 years. Still not too bad considering what it's protecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't change mine every year, my Arai has lasted at 4 years but I am looking at a new one now.
    Thats a worst case scenario, 82c per day, if you factor that a good fibre helmet should last 5 years the cost is 16c per day.
    Even if you bought a 500 euro Arai over 5 years the cost would be 27c per day!

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I don't change mine every year, my Arai has lasted at 4 years but I am looking at a new one now.
    Thats a worst case scenario, 82c per day, if you factor that a good fibre helmet should last 5 years the cost is 16c per day.
    Even if you bought a 500 euro Arai over 5 years the cost would be 27c per day!

I think Del2005 was being sarcastic when he said you change your lid every year. Hence the ':D'

Anyone know if there are likely to be any deals on helmets and jackets at the bike show this weekend?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I think Del2005 was being sarcastic when he said you change your lid every year. Hence the ':D'

Anyone know if there are likely to be any deals on helmets and jackets at the bike show this weekend?

Go on the last day, traders will be selling stuff cheap to save having to pack it up and haul it back.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Go on the last day, traders will be selling stuff cheap to save having to pack it up and haul it back.

****, can only make it for Friday. I'll have a look anyway. Think I'm going to get boots, gloves, and a trousers tomorrow in Lidl. That leaves me with a helmet and jacket to get. I'd be happy if I can get at least one of them for a decent price at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

any one know how good the thermals from aldi are, was thinking about a pair,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

but how bad can the helmet be? Don't all helmets have to pass the same safety standards?

I got the aldi flip up helmet last year.
    Happy enough with it as they pass the german tuv specs but it is a little
    draughty around 70mph. Helps keep the speed down I suppose :)
    I'd like to get the boots tomorrow but I know size 9 will be sold out after
    a feckin half hour like they were last year. I won't be able to get in to them till the afternoon.
    Really annoys me that they don't get
    sufficient quantities in.

Zebbedee wrote: »
    I got the aldi flip up helmet last year.
    Happy enough with it as they pass the german tuv specs but it is a little
    draughty around 70mph. Helps keep the speed down I suppose :)
    I'd like to get the boots tomorrow but I know size 9 will be sold out after
    a feckin half hour like they were last year. I won't be able to get in to them till the afternoon.
    Really annoys me that they don't get
    sufficient quantities in.

Not sure about getting the helmet in Aldi to be honest.
    On one hand it obviously passes the ECE 22.05 standard but how good can it be for €39.99?

I'm only really using the gear for lessons as I don't have a bike at the moment and as of yet have no plan to get one. All the same I'm a bit apprehensive about buying a helmet from Aldi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Lads, if anyone is around kildare and fancys picking me up a Balaclava that would be awesome :-D

I cant make it over at all today. Could sort out getting it from ya then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

****, can only make it for Friday. I'll have a look anyway. Think I'm going to get boots, gloves, and a trousers tomorrow in Lidl. That leaves me with a helmet and jacket to get. I'd be happy if I can get at least one of them for a decent price at it.

Take a spin up to Cotters first, they're doing a huge sale at the moment. Lids, jackets, pants & boots from €30 up, all decent brands as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

Not sure about getting the helmet in Aldi to be honest.
    On one hand it obviously passes the ECE 22.05 standard but how good can it be for €39.99?

I'm only really using the gear for lessons as I don't have a bike at the moment and as of yet have no plan to get one. All the same I'm a bit apprehensive about buying a helmet from Aldi.

i think the helmets would survive an impact as that is what they test for in the ece tests, but it has been said they get a bit noisy and windy once the speed increases, maybe their lifecycle is shorter than a brand helmet, but at that price if you can guarantee that it has never been dropped then it cant be too bad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

Having seen the treatment one 5 year old gave a helmet in Aldi today, I wouldn't buy one to put flowers in to be honest!

The wee lad decided he'd try it on, and promptly dropped it onto the tiled concrete floor as he took it off.....then repeated the procedure several times until his parent stopped him by taking the helmet and putting it back into an empty box.....

Advertisement