Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid things you've done in CM/FM

Options
  • 22-02-2011 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

We've all done something so stupid and here is where you can air your brainfarts.

I've done a one recently that nearly scuppered champions league progress where a reserve team match was on the same day as a group stage match and let the assistant manager choose from the entire first team squad for the reserves and I got second choice of what was left. Needless to say the reserves won and the firsts didn't.

Another hum dinger was when I managed AC Milan in fm2010 and had Christian Abbiati & Ignazio Abate in the team. Unfortunately in the wrong positions. Abate in goal & Abbiati on the bench. Luckily I didn't concede any goals and noticed something wasn't right when Abate parried a backpass from a defender.

My one major regret was deleting a long running game of CM2000 at about 2016 when drunk on a whim. It was getting interesting as I'd just had a falling out with my regen club captain (a one club guy like Maldini & Giggs) and he'd taken up a managers job (had the contract clause) at my rivals and slagged me off after betraying me and the club. Slag me off will ya? I'll delete ya!
    Not the shrewdist of tactical moves in hindsight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,194 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

yimrsg wrote: »

My one major regret was deleting a long running game of CM2000 at about 2016 when drunk on a whim. It was getting interesting as I'd just had a falling out with my regen club captain (a one club guy like Maldini & Giggs) and he'd taken up a managers job (had the contract clause) at my rivals and slagged me off after betraying me and the club. Slag me off will ya? I'll delete ya!
    Not the shrewdist of tactical moves in hindsight.

That is something like I would do :D that is classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

A few years ago I was managing Sangiovannese (FM08 I think), hired on the back of relegation I had to start in Serie C2 and in less than 5 years I was a club legend. We had just won promotion to Serie A, had a young team and I dreamed of European football coming to our 11,000 seater stadium(with under-soil heating!) named after me.

Then Roma came in and offered me the job. 3 year contract with a massive wage budget which was around 7 times the size of Sangiovannese's and a massive €40m to spend on new players. I took about an hour to decide(:o) what I was going to do but I turned it down.

Me and Sangiovannese started Serie A well, getting a 1-1 draw with Ac Milan in our first match at home..

..We went on to win a grand total of 3 games that season and we were relegated. I deleted the save in a raged state after that.

The stupidest thing I've ever done on Football manager by far. I turned down Roma :mad:. I've never had a top club like that come in for me before when I start at a club so low with my experience set to sunday league. I've tried many times to repeat my heroics but the best I could do is get stuck in Serie B :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Only 3 games?? Thats unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

was managing celtic and applied for the athletico madrid job, went on holiday for the day as there was a friendly, came back and I had gotten the sack. Now I've taken Leicester from 20th to 5th :D hopefully get into the premiership!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

So so many but I'll just say one for now

Me and my friend in a 2 player game many years ago,at the start of the game(I was spurs) for some reason I ticked "assistant manager handles contract renewals",yes I was young and foolish back then.
    Flash forward a few years into the games,I sign an unknown french defensive midfielder for my team,stats were only ok,he has an amazing second season,start of september chelsea offer 40 million,I'm all over that but I decided to be greedy and try to squeeze more money from them.Get them to about 48 million and accept that,next day message comes through that my midfielder has signed a new contract with the club,I was like what?!!! but no worries I'll just offer him to chelsea again but what I didn't know was my assistant had added in a minimum fee release clause of 8 million,suffice to say my friend spotted this and duely signed him and sold him to chelsea for 45 million

Friend:
    Problem.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Troll-Face
    Problem?

Me:
    rage+guy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Going on holiday in FM2009 over the date of selecting my captain, so my Assistant promptly dropped my captain of 3 seasons and that alienated him somewheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Had a great season on FM09 where I was slowly building a great QPR side. We had gone up and I had established them in the Premiership. I was being linked with all every Premiership job outside the Big 4 but I just wanted to focus on taking QPR as far as I could.

Anyway, we had qualified for Europe in my fifth season, iirc, and were doing well there but the league form was suffering. I was sacked in December but my reputation was now World Class. I was sad to be done with QPR but was saying to myself: "At least my reputation is so good that I'll be able to get a decent job now."

So I put it on holiday for a while just to wait for some jobs to become available. I went off to have some lunch and came back about half an hour later to find that I was the new Wrexham boss. :eek: I had forgotten about the "apply for all jobs" option, or whatever the equivalent was.

Floundering at the foot of the Conference and with massive debts, I just couldn't be arsed and deleted the game.

Advertisement