Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mattress. Foam or spring

• 22-02-2011 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi, were moving our little lad from the moses basket to a cot and would like your opinion on a new mattress. I'm wondering if there is a great difference between say a €50-60 foam and a €90-€120 spring mattress.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

When we were buying our cot/mattress we were told that it was only worth spending the extra on a spring mattress if we were going to buy a cot bed as the child would be sleeping on it for longer and the spring mattresses last longer. We bought a foam mattress as we decided to just buy a cot. All matresses have to meet safety standards etc... and I don't think little babies are too fussed about whether it is sleeping on a bit of foam or a spring! You should change your mattress for each child so even if you do buy a spring mattress it woudn't be recomended to use it for your next baby.

When buying your mattress, have a look in TK Maxx. I've seen them in there for 30/40 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sun child

I've just bought a €60 foam mattress for our brand new cot. Have a look at this it may help:

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/buyingforbaby/cotscribsbedding/mattress/

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

sun child wrote: »
    I've just bought a €60 foam mattress for our brand new cot. Have a look at this it may help:

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/buyingforbaby/cotscribsbedding/mattress/

Thanks, my better half wants to go for the €130 spring type and I just can't see the reason to spend that much. €60 foam would make sense. Or maybe mammys know best! Where did you get yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

When we were buying our cot/mattress we were told that it was only worth spending the extra on a spring mattress if we were going to buy a cot bed as the child would be sleeping on it for longer and the spring mattresses last longer. We bought a foam mattress as we decided to just buy a cot. All matresses have to meet safety standards etc... and I don't think little babies are too fussed about whether it is sleeping on a bit of foam or a spring! You should change your mattress for each child so even if you do buy a spring mattress it woudn't be recomended to use it for your next baby.

When buying your mattress, have a look in TK Maxx. I've seen them in there for 30/40 euro!

Thank you, I'll pop down to TK at lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

We were also told the same thing when buying our cots about 6 weeks ago.... that it was only worthwhile to buy the spring mattress if you were buying a cot bed and it would be an older/heavier baby sleeping on it. That the spring mattress would be better for back support as apposed to being a better/safer option for a baby.
    We purchased 2 foam mattresses in Smyths. They do also have a spring cot mattress on their website for €60 if you decide to go for a spring one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 sun child

We got ours from Smyths online. It was delivered with the cot bed yesterday. By far the best value and they did free delivery, we shopped around quite a bit!

Advertisement