Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglary in Knocklyon last night

Options
  • 22-02-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

Hi just to make people in the Knocklyon & surrounding areas aware our house was broken into last night at 2am(scariest part imo) luckily for us our dog and my mam heard someone downstairs and disturbed the guy he didnt get anything and was probably only in the house 2minutes & left through the front door. But to just remind people to make sure all their doors are locked and all valuables safely out of sight. Also be on the lookout for a Black Ford Focus Van we think that is what they might have been driving as one drove down and then back up our road with no lights on no less then 20mins later which we found very suspicious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Sorry to hear that- How did they get in? Do you have an alarm if so you put it on at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Where in Knocklyon are we talking OP? Not your EXACT address mind, just maybe a bit more info is possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that- How did they get in? Do you have an alarm if so you put it on at night?

we havent had a working alarm in about 10 years and havent been locking the front door in a good few years complacency i guess you could say all that has changed now
    enda1 wrote: »
    Where in Knocklyon are we talking OP? Not your EXACT address mind, just maybe a bit more info is possible?

Orlagh

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

DermoMIO wrote: »
    we havent had a working alarm in about 10 years and havent been locking the front door in a good few years complacency i guess you could say all that has changed now

Sorry to hear that dermomio but hell in this day and age i thought everyone would be locking their front door. Hope you gave the dog a treat.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dublinman12

mikehunts wrote: »
    DermoMIO wrote: »

Sorry to hear that dermomio but hell in this day and age i thought everyone would be locking their front door. Hope you gave the dog a treat.;)

I live in Ballycullen, I have a chubb lock,alarm, dog and sensor light...only due to a previous burglary in Harolds cross...

These guys go around delivering those free clothes stickers through your letterbox and while they are at your front door they check for an alarm and if your door is locked etc....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Similar incident in Kilnamanagh on Sunday night, there was an alarm, but the door was not locked, they got in and managed to get car keys and wallet before the alarm went off, they then tried to take the car with the homeowners shouting out the window at them!!

Always lock your door, always use your alarm, and I always lock my internal doors also - so even if they disable the alarm and get in the front door they are again facing a locked door, and on in through the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Similar incident in Kilnamanagh on Sunday night, there was an alarm, but the door was not locked, they got in and managed to get car keys and wallet before the alarm went off, they then tried to take the car with the homeowners shouting out the window at them!!

Always lock your door, always use your alarm, and I always lock my internal doors also - so even if they disable the alarm and get in the front door they are again facing a locked door, and on in through the property.

Good luck if there's a fire.

I hate staying in a house where the inside doors a re locked, in particular if they are the type locks which can't be opened from the inside without a key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Don't understand how anyone would leave their front door unlocked at night in the city- a couple of years ago we forgot to lock front door but we always put on the internal alarm when we go to bed. Kids came around and pushed open the door- luckily alarm went off and scared them off.
    My sisters house got robbed in bray a couple of weeks ago again alarm box but not working - they got everything out but only took a camcorder and hard drive, leaving lap top and new camera- they could have been disturbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

enda1 wrote: »
    Good luck if there's a fire.

I hate staying in a house where the inside doors a re locked, in particular if they are the type locks which can't be opened from the inside without a key.

Perhaps I should have been clearer. Internal doors I lock behind me as I go to bed, and leave the keys in them. In my own situation in case of a fire Id be able to get out the bedroom window as its on the ground floor. There is a worse chance of the door itself swelling than the lock swelling in a fire.

But in the case of being broken into - no matter what room a robber got into, he would be facing an internally locked door - bar my bedroom - but presumably Id wake up at him gaining access through the window there.

In case of a fire its better to have doors closed internally as it prevents the fire from travelling as easily. I have actually lost family members in a house fire, my entire family has always practised internal door closing at night, in the case of the family members I lost they were in the room in which the fire started and there were other factors involved that meant they never woke up. However, the rest of the house that the fire happened in was remarkably undamaged by the fire itself (there was of course smoke damage) as all internal doors were closed and the fire ran out of oxygen in the room it was in and did not spread further through the house.

In meetings with the fire dept and guards after the event they advised the safest course of action is closed internal doors at night. However, if you can also lock them and leave the key in the lock you are also protecting yourself from intruders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Alarm is always on, doors are chubb locked, keys are within distance of door but out of distance of fishing rod hooking scumbag!!

Have about 12 smoke alarms in the house - smouldering alarms in 3 kids bedrooms. 2 x carbon monoxide at gas boiler and fireplace and 1 x heat alarm in kitchen... ye think I am taking it too far?? ;)

Would hope we get good advance warning of a fire anywhere in the house but its a balls when the batteries start going and you get the "bleep" "bleep" somewhere in the house...:eek:

I think any scum bag that enters someone elses house should be shot between the eyes - I would like to think that if I got my hands on someone in my house I would not stop beating them; but in reality I would just want the fcuker out quick.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Parents living in Knocklyon for 25 years, Sister living in Firhouse for 7.

Had our shed broken into a couple of times, but not in the last decade - house has never been broken into(always had a house alarm and kept front door locked).

Sister was broken into recently, had had a small housefire and contractors cleaning out the interior left a window in the sitting room on the latch(that's meant to be secure :rolleyes:) with no alarm enabled. Burglar forced the window, got in and took what little was left.

So anecdotally: Keep your alarm on and your doors locked and you should be ok! :pac:

Advertisement