Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copenhagen v Chelsea

• 22-02-2011 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Champions League back tonight and this is not as easy as it seems for Chelsea. Copenhagen are strolling the Danish League but the main problem for them is they havn't played in 2 months due to their Winter break. This will obviously affect their match-fitness levels.

Copenhagen done well to get out of a Group that involved Barca, Kazan and Panathinikos. I watched them play in 3 of their games - Barca x 2 and Kazan away. They played well at Camp Nou losing 2-0 in which the famous incident where a Copenhagen player was straight through only to pull up as he thought he heard a whistle. Barca could only draw at Copenhagen so they are not a bunch of duds.

Chelsea are in woeful form. Torres will start tonight which is neither here nor there considering how he has been playing. They look lethargic. Luiz is cup-tied but they should just have enough to get something here given Copenhagen's break. 0-0.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea win for me, although I would say that. ;)

Anything short of a lose would be good, a score draw wouldnt be the end of the world.

In saying that, I do expect a Chelsea win. 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Warper wrote: »
    Champions League back tonight and this is not as easy as it seems for Chelsea. Copenhagen are strolling the Danish League but the main problem for them is they havn't played in 2 months due to their Winter break. This will obviously affect their match-fitness levels.

Copenhagen done well to get out of a Group that involved Barca, Kazan and Panathinikos. I watched them play in 3 of their games - Barca x 2 and Kazan away. They played well at Camp Nou losing 2-0 in which the famous incident where a Copenhagen player was straight through only to pull up as he thought he heard a whistle. Barca could only draw at Copenhagen so they are not a bunch of duds.

Chelsea are in woeful form. Torres will start tonight which is neither here nor there considering how he has been playing. They look lethargic. Luiz is cup-tied but they should just have enough to get something here given Copenhagen's break. 0-0.

Was that the Barca reserve keeper who whistled or something I remember Uefa weren't happy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Was that the Barca reserve keeper who whistled or something I remember Uefa weren't happy ?

Ya, you are right - see below.

UEFA has charged Barcelona goalkeeper Jose Pinto for allegedly whistling to influence play during Wednesday's Champions League match against Copenhagen. In the 26th minute, Copenhagen's Cesar Santin was on a clear break towards the goal when he suddenly stopped for seemingly no reason. The ref let play continue and Pinto wasn't booked for allegedly mimicking the referee's whistle for offside, even though he appeared to motion that it was he who got Santin to stop. Copenhagen ended up losing 2-0 and obviously weren't very happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I think Torres will pick up his first goal but they'll probably manage to let in one too. 1-1 draw, Chelsea to finish the tie off at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

Looking forward to this. I heard the copenhagen boss last night sayin they have spent the last 2 months preparing for this game ONLY. Gonne be a great game or a borefest..either way it will be a narrow scoreline!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It'll be a tough game, they've beaten United, Valencia, Celtic and drawn with Barcalona at home in recent seasons. Think I read a stat that they've never been beaten at home in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Going to be a very interesting game and think I'll have a couple of quid on Copenhagen (draw no bet).

They gave Barca a few problems at home and seem to be decent technically. All depends on how they cope with the 2 month break - it could well work in their favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

If Jos Hooiveld starts, I'd expect him to be roasted by the Chelsea front line

superfrank wrote: »
    Looking forward to this. I heard the copenhagen boss last night sayin they have spent the last 2 months preparing for this game ONLY. Gonne be a great game or a borefest..either way it will be a narrow scoreline!

Thats because they havnt played in 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

Warper wrote: »
    Thats because they havnt played in 2 months.

Correct!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I hope all Liverpool fans will be tuning in and wishing Torres the very best :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I fancy Copenhagen to get a win or draw tonight. They are a very under-rated side and Chelsea are having problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

2-2 for me.
    I watched them play Barca and they were very good. It won't be a walkover if they play like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Couple of things, Copenhagen will no doubt be fresh but lack match practice,they might have been good in the group stages but they we're in the middle of their season and playing, Chelsea are not playing weell at the moment and lack a bit of creativity, it will be interesting.

I still think Chelsea will win tonight though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

This game is ripe for an upset. Copenhagen are a decent, well-organised team who will be spurred by the glamour of the tie and Chelsea's poor form (haven't scored a goal in regular play in the last three games).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Reckon this will be either a 0-0 or 1-1 draw. Can't see it being too exciting.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Chelsea are expected to line up in the following 4-4-2 formation:

1 Petr Cech
    18 Jose Bosingwa
    2 Branislav Ivanovic
    26 John Terry (c)
    3 Ashley Cole
    7 Ramires
    5 Michael Essien
    8 Frank Lampard
    15 Florent Malouda
    39 Nicolas Anelka
    9 Fernando Torres

Subs: 22 Ross Turnbull, 19 Paulo Ferreira, 17 Yury Zhirkov, 12 John Mikel Obi, 46 Josh McEachran, 21 Salomon Kalou, 11 Didier Drogba

Copenhagen are expected to start in the following 4-4-2 formation:

Wiland; Pospech, Zanka Jorgensen, Antonsson, Wendt; Bolanos, Kvist (c), Claudemir, Grønkjær; Santin, N'Doye.

Subs: Christensen, P Bengtsson, Kristensen, Zohore, Vinegaard, Hooived, Delancy.

Chelsea going 4-4-2 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

1-0 Copenhagen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

The match-fitness problem for Copenhagan is huge. Fully expect it to be all square up to midway through the 2nd half then Chelsea to score 2 or 3 goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

N'Doye caused me a few mini heart attacks against Barca. Very good solid team imo.

eZe^ wrote: »
    N'Doye caused me a few mini heart attacks against Barca. Very good solid team imo.

Ye I'm pretty worried about this one, considering how poorly our two central midfielders are playing. Josh McEachran should have been given the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Does that mean Ramires is on the right?

Lukker- wrote: »
    Does that mean Ramires is on the right?

yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Is it not 4-3-3 with Anelka and Malouda either side of El Nino?

double GG wrote: »
    Is it not 4-3-3 with Anelka and Malouda either side of El Nino?

No 4-4-2 with Anelka and Torres up top and Ramires on the right and Malouda on the left.

Drogba hasn't come out to warm up with the team. Shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Drogba didnt come out for the warmup, must be angry hes not starting tonight

nuxxx wrote: »
    Drogba didnt come out for the warmup, must be angry hes not starting tonight

Beginning of the end for Drogba. He is supposed to be going back to Marseille in the summer. Not a guy you want around when hes not playing i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Ye I'm pretty worried about this one, considering how poorly our two central midfielders are playing. Josh McEachran should have been given the chance.
    You can't throw a 17 year old kid into the away leg of the most important game of the season so far.

• Advertisement

Relax lads, Sticking my neck out and going for a comfortable Chelsea win and Torres to score :D

1-1,Torres Anelka to score first early on.

You can't throw a 17 year old kid into the away leg of the most important game of the season so far.

Why can't you. He has shown he is more than capable. They way Lampard has being playing recently, McEachran is a better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I fuppin' love having the footy on the irish channels telly!:D

Why can't you. He has shown he is more than capable. They way Lampard has being playing recently, McEachran is a better option.

Lamps was the best player on the pitch for Chelsea at the weekend.

WHOHOO!
    Torres managed to control the ball, I think hes guna score tonight lads

• Advertisement

papagormo wrote: »
    WHOHOO!
    Torres managed to control the ball, I think hes guna score tonight lads

He looks sharp alright, making some good runs

Get in

NICCKYYYY!!!!!!!
    Boom there it is

Yesssssssssssss Anelka!

Damm you guys are fast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Poor goalkeeping.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, they have strolled through the centre a few times, thought for sure JT was getting booked. Fair dues to Cech, striaght out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Torres's touch is awful so far.
    good call by ref on that dive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Trevor Welch "Torres just needs one goal to open his account"

no shít

Nicky is having one of his better games tonight. Love it!

papagormo wrote: »
    Nicky is having one of his better games tonight. Love it!

Yep, part of the problem seems to be that everyone wants to pass to him for him to score, when they are in a better position. The sooner he gets one the better all round I reckon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

copenhagen are rubbish, chelsea are literally walking into their box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Copenhagen look like a team thats been off for 3 months. Miles off the pace.

We need a second though, remember bloody Everton in the league AND the cup!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

We should have this tie over and done with by now , really hope we dont regret not scoring more in this half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

We should have this tie over and done with by now , really hope we dont regret not scoring more in this half

Over the course of two legs this seems an absolute formality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement