Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cancer , effecting numerous people

Options
  • 22-02-2011 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi
    my aunt work in a supermarket (i wont name ) and has worked there 12 years .. over the past few years numerous people have died of cancer .

just yesterday a girl announced she had a brain tumour , theres been cases of breast cancer , brain tumours , stomach tumours and other cancers

this is just so upsetting 10 people in the shop have died of cancer .

is it possible that the staff in the shop are exposed to some sort of radiation ?

thanks bee

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Realistically, do you think you're going to get an answer here? I don't think so. Cancer strikes so many people. your aunt's work situation is not unusual, however it is unfortunate. You can't expect there to be another reason for this other than what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's difficult to know, but something like 1/3 of the population gets cancer of some sort at some stage in their life.

It might be worth having a chat with the National Cancer Registry in Cork who do research into clusters and that kind of thing.

http://www.ncri.ie/ncri/contact.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

I'm sure it's worth looking into. Have you considered radon testing? Our local county council are testing huge areas for radon and have hired a company to 'install' the detectors in homes. It's nothing more than popping a little disk on a wall - one downstairs, one upstairs. A bit of blu-tack and it's done!

If that staff are unionised it would be the quickest way to get something done. If they aren't they could always nominate a small number of people (or person) to bring it up with management.

http://www.radon.ie/radoninworkplaces.html

The chances are it's just a horrible coincidence, but like anyone else I'm sure you'd rather have at least followed up that find out in a number of years down the line that there was a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Solair wrote: »
    It's difficult to know, but something like 1/3 of the population gets cancer of some sort at some stage in their life.

It might be worth having a chat with the National Cancer Registry in Cork who do research into clusters and that kind of thing.

http://www.ncri.ie/ncri/contact.shtml

You know it is amazing, the amount of people in the past even 5 years, that are a certain age or above I have known to get some form of cancer (terminal or otherwise) would nearly have me believe that the figure is more than 1/3. It just seems to be everywhere and only getting worse. It's really depressing. I hope we do start to hear more and more good news stories of people overcoming it. I know there are plenty out there and thankfully even some on these boards.

There is a thread in AH at the moment "what would you most like to see before you die" - a cure for cancer would be mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

ChewChew wrote: »
    Realistically, do you think you're going to get an answer here? I don't think so. Cancer strikes so many people. your aunt's work situation is not unusual, however it is unfortunate. You can't expect there to be another reason for this other than what it is.

that's not really true. Most cancers have either a genetic or environmental risk factor.

eg
    mostly genetic predisposition: prostate cancer, colorectal cancer, breast cancer, stomach cancer, and lung cancer

mostly environmental causes: non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Hodgkin's disease, lip cancers of the lip, oral cavity, pharynx, kidney, thyroid, bone and soft tissue affected only one twin in a pair.

http://caonline.amcancersoc.org/cgi/content/full/60/6/341
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/01/31/health/main326563.shtml
    http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/scied/documents/CancerEnvironment.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

neelyohara wrote: »
    I'm sure it's worth looking into. Have you considered radon testing? Our local county council are testing huge areas for radon and have hired a company to 'install' the detectors in homes. It's nothing more than popping a little disk on a wall - one downstairs, one upstairs. A bit of blu-tack and it's done!

Radon only causes lung cancer not the other kinds mentioned by the OP.

The radioactive particle in radon is an alpha particle and it has a penetration of only a few mm, hence it cannot enter the brain, breast etc. It causes lung cancer by being inhaled and unfortunately the particles are just the right size to get lodged in the alveoli of the lungs where they irradiate the tissue immediately adjacent to them

tbh wrote: »
    that's not really true. Most cancers have either a genetic or environmental risk factor.

eg
    mostly genetic predisposition: prostate cancer, colorectal cancer, breast cancer, stomach cancer, and lung cancer

Lung cancer is primarily lifestyle related, i.e. cigarette smoking.

While the BRCA gene gives you a very high risk of breast cancer (about 80%) it accounts for less than 10% of breast cancers.

Many cancers have both a genetic and an environmental component, i.e. some minor damage is caused to a cell but it lacks the checkpoint to repair that damage and it allows a cancer to grow.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

tbh wrote: »

eg

mostly environmental causes: non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Hodgkin's disease, lip cancers of the lip, oral cavity, pharynx, kidney, thyroid, bone and soft tissue affected only one twin in a pair.

http://caonline.amcancersoc.org/cgi/content/full/60/6/341
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/01/31/health/main326563.shtml
    http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/scied/documents/CancerEnvironment.pdf
    I hear ya.. it just feels like the op is trying to clutch at a little glimmer of hope of there being a more sinister reason for these people becoming ill, than the possibility of it just being a way of life, if ya get me. I'm not saying I'm right.. it's just the impression I get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Lung cancer is primarily lifestyle related, i.e. cigarette smoking.

While the BRCA gene gives you a very high risk of breast cancer (about 80%) it accounts for less than 10% of breast cancers.

Many cancers have both a genetic and an environmental component, i.e. some minor damage is caused to a cell but it lacks the checkpoint to repair that damage and it allows a cancer to grow.
    Yeah - must admit the lung cancer bring in the genetic pile surprised the hell out of me. I remember hearing something like 90% of leukaemia is environmentally based, but can't find a link at the mo. There is obviously a gene part to play in all cancers but that's not to say that location definitely doesnt play a part, which is what the op was asking. In the estate I grew up in, near to a chemical plant, eight people died of brain conditions before they turned 50. Coincidence? Possibly, but possibly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 morbid.mascara

i didnt come to look for a cure or an answer , and i know it may be a coincidence , but im just wondering if you are exposed to a ceartain element could it cause cancer , ?

thank you for replying to the thread and i appreciate the help

i also want to thank all the people who gave me links , and i will check them out

thanks bee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

i didnt come to look for a cure or an answer , and i know it may be a coincidence , but im just wondering if you are exposed to a ceartain element could it cause cancer , ?

thank you for replying to the thread and i appreciate the help

i also want to thank all the people who gave me links , and i will check them out

thanks bee

Loads, but you'd need to carry out pretty intensive research. Perhaps you should contact academics who work in this field?

If there was an unusual chemical industry use, particularly petrochemical solvents or radioactive materials then you might need to look into calling the health and safety authority.

However, it's more likely to be just bad luck unless everyone is developing the same or similar cancers.
    off hand, I can't think of anything likely to be very risky in a supermarket environment. Household products and food tend to be very safe to handle and the building would be big and we'll ventilated.

Statistically speaking there are enough staff in a supermarket to see 10 cancer cases without it being beyond the statistical norms.

Solair wrote: »
    If there was an unusual chemical industry use, particularly petrochemical solvents or radioactive materials then you might need to look into calling the health and safety authority.

Most environmental exposure to radiation is radon (which doesn't cause these kinds of cancers) and atmospheric (which is specific to a region - primarily related to altitude). Also, radiation induced solid cancers have a latency period of 20+ years from exposure to development of disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

I want to say just a few things:

1. This year, approx. 32,000 people in Ireland will be diagnosed with some form of Cancer.

2. A significant proportion will have a relatively benign form - they will die with their Cancer, not because of it.

3. Early diagnosis is key! For most forms of Cancer, early diagnosis and intervention has a very significant effect on outcome. If anyone has worries about possible symptoms - have your GP check it out without delay. Remember your health is your wealth.

4. If you have any worries or queries about Cancer, you can talk, in confidence, to an Irish Cancer Society Cancer nurse on the FREEFONE helpline 1800 200 700

5. If you, or someone you know, is a Cancer Survivor and can run about 5 miles, I'd like to hear from you. For the past 2 years, we have organised a team of Cancer Survivors, called 'C Team - Cancer Survivors' to run in the relay section of the Cork City Marathon, in June. C Team - Cancer survivors 2010

We'd love to have more people come on board with us for the 2011 event (June Bank Holiday Monday), so why not give it a lash! Time/running speed doesn't matter a damn! This is about sending out the powerful message that there is life after Cancer diagnosis. To get in contact, just send me a PM.

Advertisement