Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel System

Options
  • 22-02-2011 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. we are currently looking at travel systems: first we had kinda decided on the icandy cherry but found out that if you will be doing alot of walking that the tyres wont last long as it is more or less for city use.
    We went back in store and two options we liked are the Icandy apple and the teutonia cosmo. the sales assistant seemed to suggest that the teutonia is the better option :) i cant find many helpful reviews :( does anyone have any experience with the above models?
    I dont really like the quinnys :(
    What i would like the travel system to be is :
    Light weight
    easy to use
    pumped tyres
    cosy
    looks nice
    easy to fold
    EXCELLENT QUALITY (dont wanna have 2 buy another in a few months)

The way i see it im not even worried about price once it fits around my needs :)
    I still have to go to mothercare and look at the options they have but time seems to be going so fast so need 2 get my bum in gear ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 EJD

Hi, I have the icandy Cherry and whilst I think it's a great travel system, it's not great if you want to do a lot of walking as you said. What I did was buy two buggies....I know I know, not very recession friendly but I just couldn't find what I was looking for in one buggy and they're something you'll use nearly every day for the next 2/3 years.

For walking I bought the Out N About Nipper, it's a 3 wheeler buggy with pumped tyres and it's absolutely brilliant for walking, it practically pushes itself. It's suitable from birth as the seat lies flat and you can buy a newborn insert to support the head, and also a gorgeous fleecy liner and footmuff. It doesn't however allow for a car seat to be attached to it which is it's only downfall.

The Icandy Apple is lovely but very heavy and believe me, for all the hoofing in and out of car boots, in and out of the house etc, I think the weight of a buggy is important and it was definitely a deciding factor for me.

I hope that helps, but if you've any other questions let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jingler

I have a Qunny buzz but like the Baby Beep Elegance. Looks good and from all accounts is very easy to manouver and get up and down. Around E300 for full travel system- shop arund for best price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

i'm the same 2 buggys the icandy apple for walking, its so lovely when walking. It just glides along and loads of room underneath for shopping. The maclaren techno for buses and now my car. Its not as nice to walk but only use it when out shopping so not that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭ted1

not to convinced about pumped tyres. Half the time their soft and a pain to push. Look around and you'll see what i mean.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have 2 buggies with pumped tyres and 2 with out and there is no comparison pumped tyres are a must.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 EJD

Yep agree with the above, pumped tyres are much better esp. for walking. Have had buggy with pumped tyres for a year and a half, never got puncture or flat tyre and that's even with walking on rough terrain etc. Had to use a small bicycle pump to firm up the wheels once only.
    For walking there's no comparison......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

totally agreed i have two prams and if i'm going walking its always the pumped ones i choose. I've pumped it up only once in last 10 months and never got punture

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

have teutonia, excellent build quality , fits maxi cosy carseat with adaptors , would deff buy again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

We went with the graco mirage travel system we had issues with the car seat. as a new born she was too small and scrunched up in the bucket shape seat, to use it, it was bad for her, so make sure the car seat keeps their back straight what ever brand you use, in the end we were lucky her dad was given a car seat as a gift that she fitted in better, only started using the graco one at 2 months this also meant we couldn't use the travel system as a buggy for 2 months.

and i've learnt,

people say you will use the buggy for 2/3 years i found for me this wasn't the case, by the time she was 1 year i was genuinely exhausted after a trip to town because many shops (in cork city anyway) have steps/stairs and no ramps/lifts, so you would have to lift the buggy to get upstairs (or even in the doors of some shops), because it was a buggy i found it difficult to navigate in and around shops too.

also to mention although it fitted in my boot it was heavy enough (despite being classed as light on the buggy scale) to constantly be taking out, setting up was simple with the one hand system but thats no good to you when you are taking 5 minutes to get it out of the car in the first place. esp annoying if you are only ''popping in'' to a supermarket or somewhere they can't run around.

the solution we found was buying one of those €60 strollers in smyths when she was 11months old, they are light, easy to manover around shops, easy to get in and out of the car, easy to take on an aeroplane if you go abroad...etc once we bought it i'd say we use the stroller 80% of the time,

i say 80% because her dad lived in the country so when we visit his parents we use the graco due to the better wheels, strollers are useless in the country :) (although they work better on the beach we found?!? )

if i was to do it again, i would buy a pram and car seat separate, and then once the baby was too big for that i would go for a stroller, cheaper and it was more useful in my situation anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

^^ completely agree. I didn't buy a system at all I had an offer of 3 from different people. All only used for 6 months at the most. All from people living in suburbs. The mothercare car seat was really small and perfect for my early baby. Now at 6 months she ates it and I now use my sister graco car seat. It is much bigger and more bucket shaped and better for sleeping in.

I never attached the car seat to any buggy as she hated the car seat because you have to secure the baby in so tight.

Now I use that with a Petite Star ZIA, ting buggy, perfect.

You only have to look at the amount of pristine, used for 6 months systems on adverts to understand. My cousin did invest heavily in a system, but had 3 boys!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

We were thinking of getting this. What do ye think of it..

-Corkie- wrote: »
    We were thinking of getting this. What do ye think of it..

Anyone??:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Looks lovely, wheels are plastic though aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'd say it handles like the petite star zia. Really easy to steer in town but you have to go down steps on the back wheels.

Also its so light it will run away on the tinest slope so always use the brake!!

Also if you put anything heavy (like 2 bottles) in the changing bag and hang it on the handle bars it will bang into the part of the buggy where the baby's head is when you walking around. But other than those few little things, it looks great and I bet it folds up tiny!

January wrote: »
    Looks lovely, wheels are plastic though aren't they?

I just noticed that too..:( Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

I'm resurrecting this thread in the hope that someone may come to our aid!

New parents to be and we haven't a clue of this crack if I'm completely honest!

We're looking for a travel system that incorporates our needs, which are:
    -Versatility: not just for everyday activities but recreational walking also.
    -Leight weight: if one of us are on our own that we'll be able to assemble etc quickly and without much hassle.
    -Price: no real price constraints at the minute and we've only half way there so I'd have plenty of time to shop around.

Any real recommendations or experiences would be great.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

80s Child wrote: »

-Leight weight: if one of us are on our own that we'll be able to assemble etc quickly and without much hassle.
    -Price: no real price constraints at the minute and we've only half way there so I'd have plenty of time to shop around.

Cheers
    Congrats!

I have an icandy peach 3 and absolutely adore it! A dream to push, easy to fold and baby is very happy in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭MichB2012

Cheers

Would recommend armadillo flip xt from mamas and papas. Folds up very compact for smaller cars or to leave a bit of extra room for the shopping :) also, the girl in the shop showed us a single handed closing option on it if you are holding baby while trying to close it. Seems lightweight enough to me but I suppose, as a child grows, they will all eventually get harder to push :) it has a huge hood aswell for blocking out the sun and any other distractions to let baby sleep peacefully on the go

Uppababy vista lovers here.Great versatility.Can seem bulky though and is quite wide, so double check boot and door widths in your house.Great buggy for us though, we've dragged it through all terrains and converts to a double.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Cheers

If I was buying now I'd buy the Bugaboo bee. Fab buggy, lovely as a pram and also as a buggy, folds fairly flat and really comfortable to push. I'm only sorry I went for a different system first time because it really is a great option. Good resale too so check second hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

MichB2012 wrote: »
    Would recommend armadillo flip xt from mamas and papas. Folds up very compact for smaller cars or to leave a bit of extra room for the shopping :) also, the girl in the shop showed us a single handed closing option on it if you are holding baby while trying to close it. Seems lightweight enough to me but I suppose, as a child grows, they will all eventually get harder to push :) it has a huge hood aswell for blocking out the sun and any other distractions to let baby sleep peacefully on the go

Mich, did you buy this? Me and my OH are looking at getting one and I'm a little hesitant. Although, it is very lightweight..

At the min, I'm between the Uppababy Vista and the Bugaboo Been ( I think that's what it is) at the moment, due to recommendations not only here but also from colleagues and friends.

Now, we haven't viewed either of these as yet so that'll be interesting.

Staying on topic, but slightly diverting, I'm being advised not to buy a car seat secondhand. The reason for this being, that any little crack or imperfection caused through use maybe unnoticeable to the eye but could have a detrimental consequence if an accident occurred.

Any thoughts on this?

Two things you NEVER (yes I mean to shout this) are mattresses and car seats. Mattresses because of the risk of nasty things lurking in them and car seats because you just don't know how they've been used or abused, taking them in and out, putting them on buggies etc. I'm all about second hand where possible but not for those two things. I only reused a car seat for my second child because the first was within the weight limits at all times and it rarely left the car. I bought a new mattress though.

ETA I probably wouldn't be swayed by the 'it converts to a double' Uppababy sales pitch. It's a really cramped and difficult to use option with two seats on it. It also doesn't fold as flat as the Bee. But I do know people who love it, it just wouldn't be one to go for if space is an issue.

lazygal wrote: »
    Two things you NEVER (yes I mean to shout this) are mattresses and car seats. Mattresses because of the risk of nasty things lurking in them and car seats because you just don't know how they've been used or abused, taking them in and out, putting them on buggies etc. I'm all about second hand where possible but not for those two things. I only reused a car seat for my second child because the first was within the weight limits at all times and it rarely left the car. I bought a new mattress though.

ETA I probably wouldn't be swayed by the 'it converts to a double' Uppababy sales pitch. It's a really cramped and difficult to use option with two seats on it. It also doesn't fold as flat as the Bee. But I do know people who love it, it just wouldn't be one to go for if space is an issue.

True.However that was just an additional extra for us, the overall buggy itself is what we are happy with-big basket, great for all terrain, non-puncture wheels, and just easy to use. A word of warning, we have the 2014 version.The newer, 2015 version is pretty big.(I have one on loan at the moment) and wider again than the 2014 one.I think it doesnt handle as well as the 2014 one tbh.You can get 2014 ones in good condition for sale on donedeal no
    problem, it might be worth checking out.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Staying on topic, but slightly diverting, I'm being advised not to buy a car seat secondhand. The reason for this being, that any little crack or imperfection caused through use maybe unnoticeable to the eye but could have a detrimental consequence if an accident occurred.

Any thoughts on this?

I think I'd reuse ours for a second child. I know though that they have never been in a car that had even the most minor of dings.

But I don't think I'd use one that was secondhand, except for example, it was a little used one from a sibling and we were badly stuck.

But apparently all car seats have an expiration date, so even if you have a family member who has a new one still in the box, you might need to check if its several years old. Depending on the seat it might be up to 10 years, but after this time the plastic or parts might have worn or degraded to unsafe standards. If its not on the seat you can ring the manufacturers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have a Bugaboo Chameleon and it is awful. I also have an out n about nipper and it is fantastic.

Firstly, cheers for all the replies! They've been very much appreciated by me and I'm sure many others!

So, the plan now is to buy a new isofix and car seat. We will then get a second hand buggy/travel system!

On that, the Bugaboo and Uppababy range are leading the way! The next step is now the test driving sessions which I hope to begin this Sunday!

So, the best car seat folks??!! What have you got??

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I have a Bugaboo Chameleon and it is awful. I also have an out n about nipper and it is fantastic.

Wow! First really bad review I've heard of!

May I ask what your main problems with it are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Wow! First really bad review I've heard of!

May I ask what your main problems with it are?

The bugaboo isn't raved about at my Mam and Baby group either. I think the general opinion is the basket is small and hard to get to. Plus the ladies don't seem to like that you can only use the bassinet or the chair when babies are at the in between stage.

I second the warning on the width of the uppababy. For example it won't fit in my front door and there a good few places locally it won't fit into!

• Advertisement

Love our bugaboo-we have the donkey. It's been in daily use for over three years now and still going strong. I've had other buggies and passed them on,but this one isn't going anywhere.

We had a maxi cosi until they grew out of it. Then extended rear facing bsafe ones which they'll be in for another couple of years.

Advertisement