Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lyon v Real Madrid

• 22-02-2011 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

This should be a good one. Madrid have been knocked out in the second round for the past 5 seasons or something so they will be hoping to end that jinx. Lyon knocked them out last season at this very stage.

Both are in good form. Lyon, after a slow start, are now firing on all cylinders. They are challenging at the top of Ligue 1 behind surprise leaders Lille. A 4-0 home win last Friday night will help their confidence. Real are playing well too though, who themselves had a shaky enough start to the season with 2 draws. If you take out the mauling at Camp Nou they are on fire regards getting results. They mightn't be the prettiest at times but they know how to win. A 10 man victory after Casillas was sent off after 2 mins, away to Espanyol highlights their qualities.

Lisandro Lopez if out for Lyon while Real have no real injury concerns, bar the long-term loss of Higuain. Lyon's old boy, Benzema still hasnt justified his price tag and is now being pushed by Man City's Adebayor to start. Ronaldo is his usual self, knocking in goals left and centre and will be their primary threat. Di Maria has proven to be a great signing and the Madrid defense are tight. Another hard game to call though. 1-1.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Should be a fairly open game. 2-1 Real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I fancy Madrid to shade it by the odd goal and if they do I cant see Lyon beating them at the Bernabeu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

2-0 Real.
    Lyon haven't added enough quality to there squad for a couple of seasons now and are on the slide.

My prediction
    Tough 70 mins for Real but killer goal in last 10 mins finishes the tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

1-1 Real have never beaten Lyon in the champions league amazingly! 6 meetings in all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

I'd disagree about Lyon adding quality to their squad they brought in Gourcuff in the summer as well as Briand, on top of the likes of Bastos, Pjanic and Lloris they could be seen as the Galactico's of France.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

It's been 6 seasons since Real reached the CL quarter final. Lyon will be tough, they went through by virtue of a goal last season.

Even if we win in France, Lyon could still go through. 2-0 would be a good result, but 2-1 wouldn't be as good as it sounds IMO. If Lyon score it will be necessary to score 3 or more. Ronaldo hasn't scored for the last 4 games, he will need to end this. Especially over the 2 legs.

Fix'd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

CorkMan wrote: »
    Ronaldo hasn't scored for the last 4 goals, he will need to end this. Especially over the 2 legs.

It's hardly the crisis you're making it out to be though ;) He's definitely chipped in with 1 assist in that time (and probably more) too.

A draw tonight and Real will win the 2nd leg to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Think this is the game where the flood gates will finally open for Real Madrid in the CL. I can honestly see them hockeying a solid Lyon side, a good K.O performance has been coming the past 6 seasons. Tonight's tie is when we see it imo.

Over the two legs I can see it Real scoring between 5 and 6 goals imo.

Hope I'm wrong though, and Gourcuff absolutely batters Madrid around the place. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm with you on this eZe, I can see a Real hammering of Lyon tonight.

Paully D wrote: »
    It's hardly the crisis you're making it out to be though ;) He's definitely chipped in with 1 assist in that time (and probably more) too.

Set up Marcelo two weeks ago and Carvalho over the weekend.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »

Sorry, I meant to type in "4 games" instead of "4 goals". I'd be thinking of typing "he's hasn't scored a goal in 4 games" but it comes out as "4 goals" :o

I wouldn't be comfortable with a draw at all. Lyon are a good side, up there with Bayern Munich IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Ade starts tonight for Real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

eZe^ wrote: »
    Think this is the game where the flood gates will finally open for Real Madrid in the CL. I can honestly see them hockeying a solid Lyon side, a good K.O performance has been coming the past 6 seasons. Tonight's tie is when we see it imo.
    Don't know about floodgates opening, but I can't see Real not progressing. Cris and Diakate are not exactly solid, so Lyon's luck in the Champions League might run out tonight.

Very cautious from Madrid so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Why is the most left footed man on the planet playing right wing for Lyon? Every time Bastos gets the ball he looks to cut in, Real know where he's going every time.

Sergio Ramos showing why he is such a liability again.

Nearly from Cris.

I like the cut of Delgado's jib, everytime I see him he impresses me loads. Cissokho left Di Maria for dead a few minutes ago too. This is looking a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Every game I watch Ramos in I like him less and less.

Lyon are getting in behind Madrid farrrr too easily. Real need to cop on a bit or they could concede a few goals.

Lyon are getting in behind Madrid farrrr too easily. Real need to cop on a bit or they could concede a few goals.
    Panicy display so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Frisbee wrote: »
    Why is the most left footed man on the planet playing right wing for Lyon? Every time Bastos gets the ball he looks to cut in, Real know where he's going every time.

good switch to the left now. should put loads of pressure on ramos now

Madrid trying to do too much with the ball, should just hold it and keep it simply until they settle down.

I think the high Madrid line might cost them here, especially with the likes of Pepe and Ramos playing.

Marca will have a field day if this performance continues.

Have the Spurs game on on the telly and the Real match on on the laptop, by from what I've seen if Real they have been shocking. I know Ozil, Di Maria and Khedira have been very good this season but I dont know how you can leave sme one like Kaka on the bench, should be starting ahead of Ronaldo IMO, and I don't care what anyone says (and I'm really not trying to derail the thread here) I've never seen Ronaldo take control of a big game, and him scoring six tonight won't make me change my opinion of him, from what I've seen he's already lost the ball twice.....

Shocking miss there!!!

what a shockin miss

Nearly Lyon after a rampaging attack down Real's wide open right flank. Sergio Ramos halfway up the pitch of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Aren't Lyons home shirts white? Why are they playing in their away kit?

Dont ya just wish Juninho was here to take them type of free-kicks?

If Real were Stoke, we wouldn't be hearing the end about how the Premier League was shíte.

• Advertisement

Lyon are playing very well. Real havent contributed much to the match so far but lyon need to score with all the pressure they are creating.

Real looking like an inferior version of Stoke with their hoofball tactics.

If Real were Stoke, we wouldn't be hearing the end about how the Premier League was shíte.

If water was tea.

Just heard again there, Real have played 19 this season and won 19. That gives confidence towards a draw being good enough, but a goal in Lyon would be good. Bring on Benzema and Kaká.

CorkMan wrote: »
    If water was tea.

Just heard again there, Real have played 19 this season and won 19. That gives confidence towards a draw being good enough, but a goal in Lyon would be good. Bring on Benzema and Kaká.

Youve changed your tune after 45 mins.

Warper wrote: »
    Youve changed your tune after 45 mins.

I just didn't remember at the Bernabeu, Real are played 19 and won 19.

What is it with Real and CL K.O stages. They just don't have the psychology for it for some reason. They have been woeful so fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

They have been terrible,Adebayour is just woeful.......ronnie should have stayed at OT!!!:D:D:D
    As for Lyon,they have woeful up front,some good positions ruined by bad front men.They need a lead going to Madrid.

Mourinho is ultimately a pretty conservative coach especially away from home.

What is it with Real and CL K.O stages. They just don't have the psychology for it for some reason. They have been woeful so fair.

Mourinho will give them that psychology. The Special One will guide us to the light haha

Kaka has to come on, he's one player who shouldn't be hoofing the ball or trying to kick the legs off the opposition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

How good a free kick was that? Ridiculously unlucky!

• Advertisement

serious effort from that free kick

Dirty Bastos!

Ronaldo nearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Madrid hit the woodwork twice in the space of a minute!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

And Ramos hits the bar from a corner. The woodwork twice in 1 minutes. I see Lyon winning 1-0 now!

Ha ha Real :) unlucky

Way better stuff from Real in 2nd half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Some half time team talk from Mourinho. We must hit the woodwork more :D

Ramos off the bar. Madrid have copped on.

Argh!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Warper wrote: »
    Mourinho is ultimately a pretty conservative coach especially away from home.

Very true.

It's amazing how many people are unaware of this.

God Pepe's anger management classes have worked :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement