Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wind tolerant hedges/trees

Options
  • 22-02-2011 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭

i have 2 small fairly exposed sections at back of garden that i would like to close off a bit. ground also can get damp at times there???
    planted laurel in front garden last year doing well. i could go with them again if i have to??
    any suggestions greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

How about Hornbeam!

Hornbeam (Carpinus Betulus)
    Hornbeam is very similar to Beech (Fagus Sylvatica) in appearance but its leaves have deeper veins. It tolerates poor soils and exposed sites better than Beech. It is a hardy, semi evergreen (holds its brown leaves through winter), with green catkins in late spring through to autumn, turning to fruit suitable for wildlife.

It is easy to keep Hornbeam to a neat formal shape, or it is often a component in an informal mixed native hedge because it's coppery leaves are kept on the plant and they provide some winter wildlife cover. Clip once a year in late summer (this is important to help the plant retain its winter colour).

Hornbeam likes sun but is shade tolerant and particularly suitable for wet soils. Not suitable for coastal positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

sounds perfect thanks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

kop77 wrote: »
    native

Not native to Ireland, according to it's Wikipedia page. Though it's not always correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

johngalway wrote: »
    Not native to Ireland, according to it's Wikipedia page. Though it's not always correct.

Your probably right about it not been native. I pulled the info off an english site.:)

Anyway I was looking up donedeal and there are a load of places doing them if its of any help to you KM69

http://www.donedeal.ie/find/all/for-sale/Ireland/hornbeam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Olearia thrives in rough windy sites. O.haastii or O.Macradonta are two popular varieties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

How would the Hornbeam cope in heavy clay ?

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 19 quizalot

oleria at my place near the coast in mayo were severly damaged with the hard frost this year. to a lesser extent the grisilena but they will recover if they are large enough it seems...

the escalonia we set seem to suffer easily from wind burn and more so a fungus infection that snuffed out most of them... at least i suspect it's fungus that causes it...

leylandi proved better at resisting the wind than we thought but we're not too exposed...

to summarise i can only not recommend oleria based on a few places that the frost damaged them and escalonia are delicate and prone to infections...

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

secman wrote: »
    How would the Hornbeam cope in heavy clay ?

Secman

Hornbeam copes quite well with wet soil and as per op's described conditions would be a good contender.
    quizalot wrote: »
    oleria at my place near the coast in mayo were severly damaged with the hard frost this year. to a lesser extent the grisilena but they will recover if they are large enough it seems...

Oleria is not fully hardy to the kind of temps we are now begining to experience. Nor are they suitable for a damp soil conditions, they require well drained soil and do best certainly on the East coast where soil is sandy and well drained.
    the escalonia we set seem to suffer easily from wind burn and more so a fungus infection that snuffed out most of them... at least i suspect it's fungus that causes it...

Pity lovely tree but agree not a wind lover
    leylandi proved better at resisting the wind than we thought but we're not too exposed...

Weeds hate em nuff said :)
    to summarise i can only not recommend oleria based on a few places that the frost damaged them and escalonia are delicate and prone to infections

OP as previously stated Hornbeams are a good contender for your described site. If you want a little more wildlife in the garden though and that's not a bad thing for any garden. You could break up the mono culture hedge of Hornbeams with a few varieties of Hawthorn and some Gery Alder they will thrive in your conditions albeit they are deciduous like Hornbeam but they will not retain leaves. Also you could mix in some Thuja - Western Red Cedar (like moist but not continually soaked soil and no prob with wind also evergreen)
    They will however add seasonal attractions by way of flowers and berries to your hedge. more appealing to the eye and insect/birds will also be attracted.

I'd go mixed but then it would be a pity if we all did the same thing food for thought I hope. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hornbeam all the way baby,lovely robust and hard wearing hedge,especuially in the winter time when golden coloured.:)

Plant 4-5 per meter for a nice and thick and even branched hedge

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Phormiums are very tolerant of harsh conditions, they don't mind swampy ground either and can add a bit of interest to a garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Olearia Marodonta in particular hates wet soils and will not thrive.
    Maybe various dogwoods to act as a sub-layer underneath things like alders that drop their lower branches as they age.
    Hazels grow into a nice thicket and should do well.
    I'd always recommend a nice "Sunday" drive around your area to see what grows well for your neighbours - great source of inspiration at times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Would you consider Portuguese Laurel ? Nicer than than the ordinary laurel and just as hardy - as far as I know

Advertisement