Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marseille vs Manchester United 23/2/11 Champions League last 16 match thread

• 22-02-2011 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

olympique_marseille_logopng222.pngV Man_Utd_FC_.png

Manchester United will be without Anderson, Rio Ferdinand, Ryan Giggs, Jonny Evans and Michael Owen for their Champions League tie against Marseille.
    Only Anderson played in Saturday's FA Cup victory over Crawley Town and the Brazilian was taken off at half-time.
    Skipper Ferdinand has not played since injuring his calf before facing Wolves on 5 February, while fellow centre-back Evans has an ankle problem.
    Giggs and Owen were in the squad which played Manchester City on 12 February.
    But 31-year-old striker Owen is thought to have a groin injury.
    Continuing problems in the heart of United's defence mean that Chris Smalling is likely to start alongside Nemanja Vidic for Wednesday's last-16 tie at the Stade Velodrome.
    United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has also included Brazilian twins Rafael and Fabio, despite the pair both coming off with injuries during the 1-0 win over Crawley at Old Trafford.
    Youngsters Joshua King and Ryan Tunnicliffe have also been selected in the squad, along with Gabriel Obertan and Bebe.

Marseille qualified for the knockout stages second in Group F behind Chelsea, but are set to be without striker Andre-Pierre Gignac, who was injured last weekend. Strikers Loic Remy and Brandao were also substituted on Saturday after taking knocks but could be fit for Wednesday.
    Forward Mathieu Valbuena looks poised to miss the United game with a knee injury.
    Didier Deschamps's side signed France right back Rod Fanni from Stades Rennes after Cesar Azpilicueta was ruled out for the season but did no other significant January business.
    The 1993 winners have not reached the last eight since that triumph and in their only previous meeting with United in the competition, in the 1999/2000 first group stage, Marseille lost 2-1 at Old Trafford but won 1-0 at home.

Sir Alex Ferguson will address the media on Tuesday to explain the latest injury news for the five that did not make the trip to the south of France.

Manchester United squad: Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Lindegaard; Vidic, O'Shea, Brown, Rafael, Fabio, Evra, Smalling; Scholes, Gibson, Nani, Carrick, Fletcher, Bebe, Obertan, Tunnicliffe; Rooney, Berbatov, Hernandez, King.

KEY STATS
    Manchester United have the worst conversion rate of all the teams who have made the Last 16 of the Champions League scoring with just 10% of their chances.
    United have lost just one of their last 20 Champions League away games, winning nine of the last 10.
    Sir Alex Ferguson’s side have the best defensive record in the competition having conceded just one goal in the Group Stage.
    Marseille have kept clean sheets in their last four Champions league matches.
    Marseille have played English opposition 10 times in the Champions league and all four of their wins have been 1-0 successes.
    Marseille have only scored six goals in their 10 Champions League games against English opposition and never more than once in a match.
    United and Marseille drew each other in the 1999-2000 1st Group Stage with both sides winning their home games by a single-goal margin.
    Man Utd had fewer players shown cards in the Group Stage (3) than any other team.
    United have only lost two of their 24 European matches against French opposition.
    Only one French team (Lyon in 2004) has ever scored more than one goal against Man Utd in European competition.
    DISCIPLINARY SITUATION
    Suspended: None
    Misses next match if booked: Andre Ayew (Olympique Marseille)

ODDS:Marseille v Man Utd(Paddy Power)
    Home win:5/2
    Draw:9/4
    Away win:23/20

COVERAGE
    Live on RTE 2, coverage starts at 7.00pm.
    Also live on UTV, with coverage starting at 7.30pm.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Expect a tight game,cautious approach from United.
    If we get 1-0 win or a score draw i will be happy to take them back to Old Trafford and put them away there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Team basically picks itself imo.

........van der Sar

Raf..Smalling..Vidic..Evra

.Fletcher.Carrick.Scholes
    Nani......................Rooney
    ............Berbatov

Kuszczak, O'Shea, Brown, Fabio, Gibson, Obertan, Hernandez.

I'd be surprised if I am not spot on with that to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

........van der Sar

............Berbatov

I'd be surprised if I am not spot on with that to be honest.

I thought that too, but when was the last time he played Berbatov up front on his own? And more to the point, when was it ever successful?

And also, when was the last time he played Rooney out wide? He made sort of a pledge not to do so when Ronaldo left in 2009, can't remember him playing out there since.

Wouldn't be suprised if Obertan started out wide with Nani, despite his awful performance against Crawley. Might do well with it being his return to France and that. Rooney up front on his own then.

I thought that too, but when was the last time he played Berbatov up front on his own? And more to the point, when was it ever successful?

And also, when was the last time he played Rooney out wide? He made sort of a pledge not to do so when Ronaldo left in 2009, can't remember him playing out there since.

Wouldn't be suprised if Obertan started out wide with Nani, despite his awful performance against Crawley. Might do well with it being his return to France and that. Rooney up front on his own then.

Rooney has played out wide a few times this season (not all that well, but same can be said for the centre)

I just don't see that we really have any other options.

It is away from home, in Europe so 451 is very likely. Berbatov up top with Rooney left is a better option than either Rooney or Berbatov up top with Obertan on the wing.

Honestly, i would be very surprised if i am not spot on. Only chance i could really see would be O'Shea coming in for Rafael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

If - for some reason - we need to switch to 4-4-2 during the game I'd prefer to see Fabio get the nod over Obertan at LW.

Obertan... well, he looks fast and clueless, I wouldn't trust him to get back either.

I'm not writing him off but I've no desire to see him play in this game.

Everton this season I think, he played pretty well and scored.

necessity, man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I expect Fergie will adopt his usual tactic of playing for the draw with the hope that they can win the home tie.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I can't see us winning this unless Valbuena is back by tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'd say Mitch is right, but I'd say Obertan starting on the left and Rooney up front on his own is also a possibility. There's also an outside chance O'Shea will start there.

This is a very weak squad, and especially midfield, to be heading into the last 16. No Hargreaves, Park, Giggs, Valencia or Anderson. I'd admit that there's not many squads that can cope with that sort of quality missing but look at what we're left with - just 4 'senior' midfielders. Fletcher, who plays his heart out but isn't really good enough for CL. Carrick, who does a lot more work than he gets credit for, but probably isn't really good enough for CL, Scholes might not really be able for it anymore, and Nani, who can be brilliant, but can also be, well, Nani.

How much would you give for Tosic on the left tomorrow night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fancy 1-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Fletcher, who plays his heart out but isn't really good enough for CL. Carrick, who does a lot more work than he gets credit for, but probably isn't really good enough for CL, Scholes might not really be able for it anymore, and Nani, who can be brilliant, but can also be, well, Nani.

How much would you give for Tosic on the left tomorrow night?

Fletcher and Carrick have been part of CL squads that made it to two finals so although not "world class" they are not the weak links Dunphy and co would have you believe. Scholes is having a great season and I reckon Fergie has been using him sparingly in recent weeks so keep him fresh. Nani has been our most consistant attacking player this season. He might be very wasteful at times but at least he hasnt been a deadweight upfront away from home something Rooney and Berbatov are guilty of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Just looking at prices on Ladbrokes for first scorers out of interest and the prices on our players are absolutely shocking.

First off Rooney is 7/2, Berbs 4/1, not so ridiculous prices really cant blame them for those.

Chico 5/1, likely to be a sub, a bit too low for value.
    Josh King 7/1, WTF!? A boy who hasnt yet made an appearance for the club.

Then tied on 8/1 is Brandao, Remy and Nani.

So the favourite Marseille player is 8/1, how can they justify having such low prices for King and Chico!?

I predict 0-0 0r 1-0 to utd. Very close game this one should be.
    Utd would be delighted with an away goal.

VW 1 wrote: »

Pah - i laugh at your pathetic knowledge of Man United. HA HA HA HA HAR.

(only messing!)

Josh King came on as a sub in the Carling Cup 09/10 at home to Wolves.:P

On the general content of the post..... Marsaille players being so long is a joke given our away performances this season. Also, Nani would be my choice for first scorer. (won't put money on it cause I do not bet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just looking at prices on Ladbrokes for first scorers out of interest and the prices on our players are absolutely shocking.

First off Rooney is 7/2, Berbs 4/1, not so ridiculous prices really cant blame them for those.

Chico 5/1, likely to be a sub, a bit too low for value.

Then tied on 8/1 is Brandao, Remy and Nani.

So the favourite Marseille player is 8/1, how can they justify having such low prices for King and Chico!?

you dont understand the betting market, pp and the like, put any player up.
    They even have players that are injured or suspended for the match up their sites the majority of the time.

Headshot wrote: »
    you dont understand the betting market, pp and the like, put any player up.
    They even have players that are injured or suspended for the match up their sites the majority of the time.

but better odds on King, a player with about 9 minutes senior experience, than any Marseille player is a bit of an odd one. Especially when you consider he is unlikely to play (i'd be a little surprised if he even made the bench tbh)

but better odds on King, a player with about 9 minutes senior experience, than any Marseille player is a bit of an odd one. Especially when you consider he is unlikely to play (i'd be a little surprised if he even made the bench tbh)

correct

I had a look for the 7/1 and I cant find it, just curious to see what bookie has it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Looking forward to this game. Marseille are a well organised team who play some good football.

With Gonzalez at the hub of Marseille's play, it should make for a good test for United.

Have a feeling that Marseille might nick a 2-1 win tonight, with United beating them by a couple of goals at Old Trafford.

going to be a really really dull match and the only highlight will be Eamo

(thank god RTE have this match)

correct

I had a look for the 7/1 and I cant find it, just curious to see what bookie has it

Sorry I was using the Ladbrokes app on my iPhone..

I understand that they will put any player that will possibly play up, but having King at 7s and Bébé at 9s with Obertan at 12s just doesnt make sense to me! Surely they use a combination of past performances/results along with how much is bet on the player, unless someone has stuck a wedge on King the price makes no sense!

and to Mitch, I apologise for not remembering the boys debut!

going to be a really really dull match and the only highlight will be Eamo

(thank god RTE have this match)

Usual away fare in the CL then!...
    Will be interesting to see hoe Smalling copes with this test away from home,step up again from the City game he did so well in.

On the betting front i have had a little dabble on Marseille/draw result at 13/1........

• Advertisement

Sorry I was using the Ladbrokes app on my iPhone..

I understand that they will put any player that will possibly play up, but having King at 7s and Bébé at 9s with Obertan at 12s just doesnt make sense to me! Surely they use a combination of past performances/results along with how much is bet on the player, unless someone has stuck a wedge on King the price makes no sense!

and to Mitch, I apologise for not remembering the boys debut!

They will always have strikers the shortest price, no matter who they are.
    If King isn't on the pitch when first goal is scored, bet is void.
    The fact is, no matter who you are, if you play up front you will have a better chance of scoring than a winger/midfielder.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The fact is, no matter who you are, if you play up front you will have a better chance of scoring than a winger/midfielder.

What, even Emile Heskey?! :eek:

I kid! :p

I'm actually looking forward to watching this. Had myself convinced it was on last night and that I'd miss it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

........van der Sar

............Berbatov

I'd be surprised if this wasn't the teamsheet alright. Although, I would like to see Obertan get a run at some point.

Seeing as he is on French soil, and apparently didn't set the world alright with Lorient, he might feel he has something to prove.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They've probably seen Brandao play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Rooney10 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if this wasn't the teamsheet alright. Although, I would like to see Obertan get a run at some point.

Seeing as he is on French soil, and apparently didn't set the world alright with Lorient, he might feel he has something to prove.
    It could be the performance that convinces United to get rid of him at the next available opportunity. So, yes, if I were a United fan I'd be hoping he gets a run out alright.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Expecting another "patient" display from United tonight in an away european tie. Our definition of "patient" football seems to be give the ball away, absorb lots of pressure, survive numerous scares and eventually nick the result against a lesser team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Thank **** this is on UTV, cant stand the muppetry. And why do people do their betting on anywhere else but betfair??

Can see our standard away performance in Europe, 5 across midfield and grab a 1-0 win. Would do nicely.

Anyone here able to access ITV HD?
    Used to be able but it seems the channel is locked now.tried searching for the code but anyone i got lead me to a blank screen.

As for not using Betfair,i only punt on a rare occasion and PP suits my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I have a feeling this could be one of those years with an early exit from the CL for Utd.

• Advertisement

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I have a feeling this could be one of those years with an early exit from the CL for Utd.

Can't beat a positive outlook!
    As for progress in the CL,if Arsenal put Barca out the whole competition takes a totally new look,not many teams stand out this year and it is winnable with Barca taken care of hopefully..

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Thank **** this is on UTV, cant stand the muppetry. And why do people do their betting on anywhere else but betfair??

Can see our standard away performance in Europe, 5 across midfield and grab a 1-0 win. Would do nicely.

I agree with you on using exchanges, a friend of mine got me into using betdaq which is basically the same as betfair but Irish owned..much better odds, for example Rooney to score first tonigh at 5.9 instead of the 7/2 at Ladbrokes, Berbs at 6.4 and Chico at 7.6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

dahat wrote: »
    Anyone here able to access ITV HD?
    Used to be able but it seems the channel is locked now.tried searching for the code but anyone i got lead me to a blank screen.

As for not using Betfair,i only punt on a rare occasion and PP suits my needs.

Frequency: 10.832
    Polarisation: H
    Symbol Rate: 22
    FEC: 5/6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That brings up the following options for me:

ITV4+1
    ITV1 Wales
    ITV1 West
    ITV1 W Country
    G49

Are any of the ITV1's the HD option?

Paully D wrote: »
    That brings up the following options for me:

ITV4+1
    ITV1 Wales
    ITV1 West
    ITV1 W Country
    G49

Are any of the ITV1's the HD option?

When i put that in i get ITVHD as an option.
    Not sure why didnt come up on yours.

I tried a good few codes that was only one i got to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

When i put that in i get ITVHD as an option.
    Not sure why didnt come up on yours.

I tried a good few codes that was only one i got to work.

I am using the free-to-air set up so that's probably why it doesn't come up for me.

Cheers anyway :)

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    I am using the free-to-air set up so that's probably why it doesn't come up for me.

Cheers anyway :)

No bother i found it using sky hd box with most of the sky package it vanished last year there some time had to find it online in a mad panic for the Southampton game there couple weeks back :P

Lovely jubbly,will let ya know if it appears once more....have most of the other ITV variations

ITV HD back in action,mucho thanks

Can't beat a positive outlook!
    As for progress in the CL,if Arsenal put Barca out the whole competition takes a totally new look,not many teams stand out this year and it is winnable with Barca taken care of hopefully..

Sorry for slight derail here - Daq good to use at the mo as the commission is only 3% till march whereas BF is still 5% (but BF has much better liquidity on matches!)

Lovely jubbly,will let ya know if it appears once more....have most of the other ITV variations

It should work i got it to work on two boxs so i cant see why it wont.

I am seriously thinking of putting bet on united and munich to win tonight 5er each get me 27 euro back.

Better then a pack of smokes anyway.

Dunno what to make of this game tonight yet if we play a strong 11 i cant see us losing.
    But weather it will be pretty or not lol can see it being dull.

It should work i got it to work on two boxs so i cant see why it wont.

I am seriously thinking of putting bet on united and munich to win tonight 5er each get me 27 euro back.

Better then a pack of smokes anyway.

Dunno what to make of this game tonight yet if we play a strong 11 i cant see us losing.
    But weather it will be pretty or not lol can see it being dull.

Would be interested in a draw both games,interesting to see how munich play given the good form they are showing in the bundesliga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I seem to ask this every game lol.. But is it on any Irish radio station ? (on FM)

Cant stream online.

pretty please :)

NeVeR wrote: »
    I seem to ask this every game lol.. But is it on any Irish radio station ? (on FM)

Cant stream online.

pretty please :)

Not sure if CL games are broadcast on irish radio,newstalk soccer show be the best coverage ya would get on fm i would imagine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

This has the makings of a good game as they are usually hard to beat at home. Utd will line up as they normally and probably put in a good shift - but I have a sneaky suspicion that they might sneak it. At 11/5 it's worth a fiver. 2-1 I reckon, with Utd going through over the two legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Well Newstalk will be giving updates on the match but they won't be covering it per se. They'll give commentary on any major incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

edwin
    oshea
    smalling
    vida
    evra
    gibson
    carrick
    fletch
    nani
    berba
    wazza

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    edwin
    oshea
    smalling
    vida
    evra
    gibson
    carrick
    fletch
    nani
    berba
    wazza

is this your guess or the actual team confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

thats the starting 11..

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    thats the starting 11..

got a source mate? just usually not released till hour before KO and nothin on the old twitter!??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hibbs on twitter put out that team, says he's fairly confident it's he right one

Apologies it was daniel taylor @DTguardian

Team-sheets not here yet but told #MUFC: VDS; O'Shea, Vidic, Smalling, Evra; Fletcher, Gibson, Carrick; Nani, Rooney; Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

no real surprize if that is the line up considering our run of games coming up and the injuries.433 i suppose.rooney on the left and gibson the more attacking of the centre mid 3.

• Advertisement
Advertisement