Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marseille vs Manchester United 23/2/11 Champions League last 16 match thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    edwin
    oshea
    smalling
    vida
    evra
    gibson
    carrick
    fletch
    nani
    berba
    wazza

Oh fook........do not fancy gibbo at all..........match thread will be fun later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    got a source mate? just usually not released till hour before KO and nothin on the old twitter!??

a guy called partytown on red issue always gets team news a couple of hours before kickoff.. Those journalists go on red issue to get early team news and then pass it off like they are in the know,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

dahat wrote: »
    Oh fook........do not fancy gibbo at all..........match thread will be fun later
    Gibson if he is given the Lampard role will do well tonight imo. Been saying that's how he should be used for ages.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Expecting another "patient" display from United tonight in an away european tie. Our definition of "patient" football seems to be give the ball away, absorb lots of pressure, survive numerous scares and eventually nick the result against a lesser team.

And hopefully that pressure will turn into goals for Marseille! Dont want a bore of a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Gibson did well in that position against Munich last year. Once he is pushed forward and kept out of midfield, he can be useful with his shooting and occasional through ball.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Delighted D-ron is starting. Hope he plays a blinder. And there's no need to bring Scholes off the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Sub:-

Kuszczak, Brown, Hernandez, Scholes, Fabio, Rafael, Obertan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Bizarre lineup. Marseille will score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Bizarre lineup. Marseille will score.

What's bizarre about it? What would you have expected to be different?

• Advertisement

Mandanda; Kabore, Fanni, Diawara, Heinze; Cisse; Lucho, Mbia; Remy, Brandao, A. Ayew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

If that is the team, will be interesting to see if he goes 442 or 433. I know he usually goes 433 in away CL games but Marseille are not a great side and could be got at if you attack them from the off. The only question would be then, Fletch or Gibson right midfield? Gibson's crossing was excellent against Crawley so maybe he is thinking about that.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    What's bizarre about it? What would you have expected to be different?
    I expected Fergie to keep it very defensive, just very unsure of some of the players who have been picked (Smalling, Gibson, Fletcher on the wing). I know you've got injuries, but the centre of midfield frightens the life out of me. Marseille will play high-tempo stuff and Gibbo/Carrick could easily be overrun.

I expected Fergie to keep it very defensive, just very unsure of some of the players who have been picked (Smalling, Gibson, Fletcher on the wing). I know you've got injuries, but the centre of midfield frightens the life out of me. Marseille will play high-tempo stuff and Gibbo/Carrick could easily be overrun.
    Fletcher on the wing? United will have most possession, I'm 90% sure of that.

I think it will be 5 across the middle which means less chance of being overrun etc. Maybe wrong but I think its likely Rooney plays from the left/right with 3 in the middle to make us more solid. With Rio out I think Smalling has earned his place in the starting lineup. Im willing to give Gibson more time before judging him and this is the time of the season where we need Fletch at his energetic best - he is a big game player!

However, if its 4-4-2 I see your point and kinda agree :pac:

Hopefully Rooney has learned to play on the left a bit better. He could be a lot better if he just learned that he has 3 midfielders behind him and doesn't have to chase every ball back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Just alive after recieving CPR after seeing that Gibson was starting :eek::eek: Cant really understand that decision by SAF but i think i'll trust him!!!!

Hopefully Berba will hold the ball up well and allow Nani and Rooney to join up with him.
    i'll go for a 1 all draw and i'll take that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Awaiting the inevitable faliure of Dron to cope in this game.......bloody hope i am wrong,we need a draw at least.

Hope Rooney had Weetabix for brekkie as he has a long shift ahead of him tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Gosh, i sure hope RTE's commentary is in sync with the pictures this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

UNITEDwill win 2-0 - I was going to go with 3-0, But i'll leave it at 2 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It's probably going to be a 5 man midfield with Rooney on the left. TBH, I'm not that surprised to see Gibson in there. Scholes might have picked up an injury, or he might be thinking he needs to save him, and/or he may be more influential coming on fresh late in the game. He often puts in the younger players when we have fixture congestion like this. Gibson got slated in some parts for his performance at the weekend. It was far from perfect but he put some great passes through. I'd be delighted if he stepped up a level tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Gosh, i sure hope RTE's commentary is in sync with the pictures this week.

They'd surely have it fixed for the big games.
    Just alive after recieving CPR after seeing that Gibson was starting :eek::eek: Cant really understand that decision by SAF but i think i'll trust him!!!!

Who else would you have started? We're not exactly full strength at the moment. Scholes is being rested for the weekend/next week. If he got injured tonight it would be a disaster.

Gibson is probably our best corner taker at the moment, and one of our best crossers. Don't know why he isn't taking free kicks when he plays either.

(Yes that is praise for Gibson, there probably won't be a better time, without it looking like a knee-jerk.):p

Herlihy let out an okie-dokie there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Disappointed with Eamo, he needs to get it in gear

dahat wrote: »
    Awaiting the inevitable faliure of Dron to cope in this game.......bloody hope i am wrong,we need a draw at least.

Hope Rooney had Weetabix for brekkie as he has a long shift ahead of him tonight.
    Awaiting the inevitable flood of comments anytime he does something bad and him being blamed for the team playing bad as a whole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Dear Mr. Rooney,

Please do.......something!

Regards,
    MM

Mmmmmmmm Marcel Desailly..mmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Hopefully Berba will hold the ball up well and allow Nani and Rooney to join up with him.
    i'll go for a 1 all draw and i'll take that.

Gibsons goal for Ireland last week highlights his value. He has scored those type of goals in the champions league before.

Yes, defensively he won't track runners....he's not that quick and he is not physical.....his touch is average....his passing is poor.

But Carrick is all of those things too. Atleast Gibson can shoot. :p

Liam O wrote: »
    Awaiting the inevitable flood of comments anytime he does something bad and him being blamed for the team playing bad as a whole.

Well it was HIS fault that RTE were out of sync last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

iv gone for gibson insurebet 14/1

yes im crazy and dont value money....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

D-Ron. Ha. Where did that come from. :)

I still don't know what to think of this fella. Some times he infuriates me so much that it's not even funny. I've received enough infractions on my thoughts of Gibson that that is all i'm saying tonight.

Massive few weeks ahead. Hopefully a win tonight will set the ball rolling. Even a score draw will be a good result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Eamon Dunphy = Hypocrite

Gibson shouldn't do that badly with Carrick and Fletcher beside him!

Loved Eamonn's hesitation there before he gave Ronaldo any credit :D

Also Brady's 'No no no no no no no Bill'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Dunphy eating his words there and saying he is happy to do so.

I bet it's killing him inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

that kid has a terrible cough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Hopefully a win but I imagine a score draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Allez L'OM Looks and sounds like a fabulous atmosphere.

I have backed Marseille to qualify @ 3/1. Just think the United midfield is too weak at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The officials appear to be wearing Marseille's home kit

• Advertisement

I have backed Marseille to qualify @ 3/1. Just think the United midfield is too weak at this level.

You also thought Jack Wilshere was poor the other night. So your opinion is probably a good thing for us.

Jesus the Marseille captain is a beast!!

Deschamps comes across as a decent guy.

CMON UNITED!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Dear Mr. Rooney,

Please do.......something!

Regards,
    MM
    I think if Rooney penetrates Fanni at right back we should be ok :D

Le King wrote: »
    You also thought Jack Wilshere was poor the other night. So your opinion is probably a good thing for us.
    I never said such a thing - I said he was standing around at the early part of the game.

sync is out from what I can tell, bye bye RTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Gibson bursting forward. Great stuff from Berba there...

French fans are such hypocrites. They were all saying what a joke Domenech was and when someone does something about him he's treated like a villain

I never said such a thing - I said he was standing around at the early part of the game.

Generally when you stand about you're not doing much. You said it at half time IIRC.

Anyway tit for tat. Forget I said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Yeah because Marseille's midfield is better. lol.

And it's funny how you fail to mention how vastly superior utd are in attack and defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

big test for smalling tonight

• Advertisement
Advertisement