Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marseille vs Manchester United 23/2/11 Champions League last 16 match thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Quality from Smalling.

he looks very composed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

O'Shea has had a couple of small chances to get forward here. It really is a shame that when he gets into good positions that he seems to lack the confidence to really attack them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Carrick looks rattled, he's overthinking everything. He hasn't played well at all the last few games, I really thought he'd gotten his confidence back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Smalling deserves the praise. He's still a young player, yet he's good enough and confident enough to play for us in the Champions League. Yeah he's hoofed a ball or two, but when it comes to protecting our goal he's been spot on.

I think we're doing pretty well, certainly better than some of our other performances this season. Just hope we can cut out the bad passing and get some more build up play going, get Berba involved!
    Don't encourage him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

Losing the will to live watching this match.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Don't encourage him!

some people only need an internet connection to be encouraged!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Berba is just annoyed because United have bought the warm buzzy feeling that Spurs fans had last Tuesday for €21M.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I wish JOS would ever learn how to close down like a proper full back. He stands off the opposition winger so much it's criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Berba is just annoyed because United have bought the warm buzzy feeling that Spurs fans had last Tuesday for €21M.

21m? do enlighten me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

GGAAWWWDDD this is tough to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

****ing love Smalling. The boy is quality. Really comfortable in his own boots, no pressure on him.

BERBA wrote: »
    21m? do enlighten me

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

No.

weird:eek:

Liam O wrote: »
    Carrick looks rattled, he's overthinking everything. He hasn't played well at all the last few games, I really thought he'd gotten his confidence back.

It's not confidence he lacks, it's skill on the ball.

He doesn't have it and when he's in tight games like this and isn't partnered beside Scholes, it's shown up.

I would agree that his confidence then takes a battering and he plays even worse but the root problem is a lack of skill on the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

cant keep my eyes open watching this..honestly one of the worst games ive ever seen

• Advertisement

Slightly better half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Nice dive. Hope he gets clocked before the end.

Nani giving out that Heinze went down easily - pot kettle black to be fair!

cant keep my eyes open watching this..honestly one of the worst games ive ever seen

If that's true, well then you haven't seen much of it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Have those 5th & 6th officials made an influential call since they were introduced.I cant remember any :/

• Advertisement

lol at all the chumps who tuned in hoping to see United get beaten. You are being punished with a horrible boring game :pac:

Oh dear, Ayew.

They are turning up the pressure now

Berba, Rooney and Nani have done absolutely nothing in the 2nd half

Getting away with murder here...

Best chance of the match there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Pro. F wrote: »
    lol at all the chumps who tuned in hoping to see United get beaten. You are being punished with a horrible boring game :pac:

Ye're well used to watching this type of football. Immunized you might even say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

If that's true, well then you haven't seen much of it :)

eh?? its brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Heinze can't cross for shiiiit.

Beer is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Ye're well used to watching this type of football. Immunized you might even say.

We've also won so many trophies that we're immunised to that too.

Being a Man U supporter is a lifetime of numbness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Christ the lack of creativity in the midfield for United is shocking, even by their standards. Carrick really awful again. Gibson bar the odd pass, awful, Fletcher running around a bit but no creativity. Rooney awful.

Smalling looks comfortable though. :)

eh?? its brutal

I mean if it is true that you can't keep your eyes open, then you haven't seen much of the game!

lack of technique, lack of passion, lack of drive. This doesn't sound like United in Europe but that's what we're witnessing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Heinze can't cross for shiiiit.
    One might call it nostalgia.

Honestly it's true. We often play shíte away in Europe (sometimes at home too). I knew this game was always going to be a real shocker with all the midfield injuries we have.

strange post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Wish fergie would move rooney centrally. stick gibson right and nani left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I still think we'll nick a goal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Gibson and Carrick are absolutely awful footballers. They offer nothing in terms of tackling, making a pass, holding the midfield. Dire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    strange post

You just don't get it. But that's ok.

Evra did well there.

I'd love some Raf and Chich right now, just to spice things up.

It's sad to think that we'd get more creativity out of a RB than the midfield. Although I say bring on Raf for either Carrick or Gibson and put Fletch back into the middle.

It was clearly a joke. But all the same well done. Enjoy it while it lasts, because Agent Malcolm is making great strides with latest operation.

Do I need a smiley face to display that this is in jest as well? Just in case. ;):D:p

surprised Nani didn't take that on, great cutback by o'shea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Hernandez to come on in the last 15 to add some spark and score the winner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Hard to believe it's the champions league tbh. Really terrible stuff on view.

Gibson and Carrick are absolutely awful footballers. They offer nothing in terms of tackling, making a pass, holding the midfield. Dire
    Gibson has been the best of the 6 midfielders and attackers by a mile.

Honestly, Gibson is on par with Liam Miller!

Liam O wrote: »
    Gibson has been the best of the 6 midfielders and attackers by a mile.

He is so mediocre it's annoying

Pro. F wrote: »
    Honestly it's true. We often play shíte away in Europe (sometimes at home too). I knew this game was always going to be a real shocker with all the midfield injuries we have.

I know. I expected the same. Hence why I'm mostly watching the Inter Munich game. I've 20 on Gomez to score anytime and United to draw. Good ole Trafford Reds doing their duty!! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement