Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marseille vs Manchester United 23/2/11 Champions League last 16 match thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Pro. F wrote: »
    Gibson did almost nothing while he was on the pitch. He constantly hid from the ball when we were in possession, got caught in possession a good proportion of the times when he did receive it and did very little defensively.

Fletcher has given the ball away, but at least he has shown willing to get on it at times and done some work to try and win it back when we don't have it. I'm not saying that he has played well. He hasn't, but at least he has tried a bit, unlike Gibson.

LeeroyJones, the tactics have been changed around completely and Scholes is playing deeper than Gibson was.

Apart from thread Nani and JOS twice and another time for Berbatov?! Not his fault they weren't converted... Had they been you would have people harping on about the 'New Paul Scholes'(Which is nonesense but that's what happens in this day and age).

At the moment of his substitution Gibson had covered the same amount of grass as Fletcher (just above 9km) and was vastly more economical than Fletcher in possession as well as set up opportunities for JOS, Nani and Berb.

Could you point out where these new tactics have come from. The match is over now and the tempo remained the same from United since Scholes came on, and there were no new fresh movement from other areas of the park.

Fletcher remained a box-box midfielder making his tackles, Carrick remained looking for the ball and looking for passes and Scholes took up a slightly more advanced role..... where Gibson was!!!

Edit: Like for like does not mean 'as good as'...... rather they fit in a similar role in the general tactics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Liam O wrote: »
    Why should Gibson have had to do anything defensively? He kept attacking moves flowing only for the likes of Nani, Fletcher, Rooney and Berba to fcuk up. The amount of times United lost the ball tonight was deplorable and Gibson was the only one with decent ball retention.

Seriously, is he a relation of yours? Fletcher and carrick were poor again tonight and he still couldn't outshine them. Scholes did more and better than any of them when he came on and he's a 36 year old man getting ready for retirement:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Gibson was playing in an advanced role. Carrick was playing deep - he was the one who should have been picking up play from the centre backs, which he has of course failed to do.

Yes that is true. Carrick should have been doing that and, just like always, he failed miserably.

However, there were some short spells when United did have a bit of possession. During those times, pretty much every time, Gibson ran away from the ball, turned his back on it and generally hid as best as he could.

The times when he did actually make a pass were when the ball fell to him in a bit of space, generally immediately after OM had lost possession and were falling back.

0-0 always a dangerous 1st leg away result.

United should still do it but it could be nervy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Best part of the match was knowing i could flick over to Babestation for a few minutes safe in the knowledge nothing of any interest would happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Did Dunphy just say that Real Madrid don't have a midfielder who can pass the ball and who has vision?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭eigrod

Did Dunphy just say that Real Madrid don't have a midfielder who can pass the ball and who has vision?!?!

Haha...yeah he did. Amazed Brady didn't pick him up on that.

Now Giles is saying the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭BenK

Apart from thread Nani and JOS twice and another time for Berbatov?! Not his fault they weren't converted... Had they been you would have people harping on about the 'New Paul Scholes'

I think it's fair to say that no-one would have been saying this!

Fergie will see this as job done.

I'd imagine he will think exactly the opposite tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Lucho Martinez????????? I had faith in Brady as the only credible pundit between the 3 on RTE. He clearly doesnt do an research either :rolleyes:

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd imagine he will think exactly the opposite tbh.
    If Fergie felt that way he wouldn't have played 451 and he certainly wouldn't have went even more defensive as the game went on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

saf buying a cm in summer

your having a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Job done, important thing was to not concede. United should beat what is a very weak team in OT. Looking forward to the return leg, I think fergie's game plan in Europe is almost predictable at this stage and I fully expect united to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

We need a new midfield to compete in europe and people on here talking up Flectcher and Carrick(who was especially bad tonight) are only kissing themselves.

It is getting embarasing at this stage that we bring on the great Scholes and expect him to turn the game.

We have no passing or creative midfielder execpt Scholes and we are suffering as a result.

We need to wake up and people on here need to wake up

dedon wrote: »
    We need a new midfield to compete in europe and people on here talking up Flectcher and Carrick(who was especially bad tonight) are only kissing themselves.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBORING!

Man of the Match and PLayer rating links....

Man of the Match

Player Ratings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Headshot wrote: »
    saf buying a cm in summer

your having a laugh

Iniesta would be the dream signing!

Iniesta would be the dream signing!

lol and while we're at it, get Messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBORING!

Man of the Match

Player Ratings

No Vidic?Brown there instead so marked brown for vidic score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBORING!

Man of the Match

Player Ratings
    you have Brown instead of Vidic

lol and while we're at it, get Messi

Not that likely I know, but United clearly need a dominant personality in the midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBORING!

Man of the Match

Player Ratings

Just a heads up, you have Brown in where Vida should be in the Player Ratings one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

It was a pretty poor game, was happy with Chris Smalling, such a good player. Midfield is awful, Carrick is a bag of piss.

Apart from thread Nani and JOS twice and another time for Berbatov?! Not his fault they weren't converted... Had they been you would have people harping on about the 'New Paul Scholes'(Which is nonesense but that's what happens in this day and age).

He passed to the attacking players three times? Yeah, what a legend he is...

And that's quite a funny hypothetical picture you paint of me there too. If the forwards had converted one of the all too brief chances they had then I would have praised them, not Gibson. Putting in three decent passes is not good enough.
    At the moment of his substitution Gibson had covered the same amount of grass as Fletcher (just above 9km) and was vastly more economical than Fletcher in possession as well as set up opportunities for JOS, Nani and Berb.

The stats mean nothing without proper analysis. Gibson ran about a fair bit, but a lot of it was useless, like his hiding from the ball when United had possession. Also he didn't close down as well as Fletcher did.

Still we are arguing over which shít midfielder was the most shít. They were all shít and all should be condemned for it.
    Could you point out where these new tactics have come from. The match is over now and the tempo remained the same from United since Scholes came on, and there were no new fresh movement from other areas of the park.

Fletcher remained a box-box midfielder making his tackles, Carrick remained looking for the ball and looking for passes and Scholes took up a slightly more advanced role..... where Gibson was!!!

Scholes came much deeper than Gibson and got on the ball and passed it forward. If you are just going to deny that then there is no point arguing with you.
    Liam O wrote: »
    Why should Gibson have had to do anything defensively? He kept attacking moves flowing only for the likes of Nani, Fletcher, Rooney and Berba to fcuk up. The amount of times United lost the ball tonight was deplorable and Gibson was the only one with decent ball retention.

All midfielders should do at least a bit of closing down when the opposition have the ball. Are you seriously denying that?

Gibson hid from the ball constantly, got caught in possession and didn't do enough defensively. He was shít.

Your talk of him ''keeping attacking moves flowing'' is complete and utter fantasy. He mostly hid from the ball when we had possession and did very little during his time on the pitch.

Not thatl ikely I know, but United clearly need a dominant personality in the midfield.

blues, to quote a great man, No chance in hell (you've got)

Utd should be going for the likes of Sneijder or modric, at least we have a small chance of getting them.

Utd should be going for the likes of Sneijder or modric, at least we have a small chance of getting them.

Can you guarandamntee it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

'arry says your wasting your time:p

Can you guarandamntee it? :D

your firrrrrrrrrrrrrrred

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Pauleta wrote: »
    Lucho Martinez????????? I had faith in Brady as the only credible pundit between the 3 on RTE. He clearly doesnt do an research either :rolleyes:

I thought I was hearing things, they just wing the punditry but they could at least read the squad sheets.

Dempsey wrote: »
    I thought I was hearing things, they just wing the punditry but they could at least read the squad sheets.

You just have to ignore Eamo's trolling and the panal's lack of knowledge of footballing facts and enjoy the actual insight they give.

Their knowledge of facts (player names, results, records etc) is woeful. But their perception, their understanding of the game and their insight is really top rate.

When they have a game put under their noses and are asked to analyse it and rate how the teams and individual players did, they do a fantastic job (except for Eamo's trolling).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

United always set-up up like this in Europe or big games in the EPL.

3 central midfielders to run around & do a grafting job, one out & out striker who just stays up field & dosent have to track back & 2 wingers who can win the ball back.

I'm not sure why Ferguson always insists on this formation in Europe as they always look a much more functional unit when they play the basic 4-4-2.

I think his fear of loosing is greater than his desire to win these big matches. Just stifle the opponents & hope for something on a break or from a set piece seems to be the way of doing things at United these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

tdv123 wrote: »
    United always set-up up like this in Europe or big games in the EPL.

3 central midfielders to run around & do a grafting job, one out & out striker who just stays up field & dosent have to track back & 2 wingers who can win the ball back.

I'm not sure why Ferguson always insists on this formation in Europe as they always look a much more functional unit when they play the basic 4-4-2.

I think his fear of loosing is greater than his desire to win these big matches. Just stifle the opponents & hope for something on a break or from a set piece seems to be the way of doing things at United these days.

3 in midfield has served him well in Europe. Results have in general been far better than when he used to play 4-4-2 on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

flahavaj wrote: »
    3 in midfield has served him well in Europe. Results have in general been far better than when he used to play 4-4-2 on a regular basis.

This

I have pretty much accepted the way we play in Europe will now be the same, solid rather than expansive football is the order of the day. Its made us far more competitive in Europe more recently and Fergie I think has realised in the earlier days we were a bit naive when it came to the big European nights.

Another problem, which I'm not going to get into here, is that I think we built a formation that was really suited to Ronaldo being in the team where there was one passing midfielder, the other 2 CM's were the legs in midfield and the front 3 then rotated nicely, it was Rooney/Tevez/Ronaldo. We are a lot less fluid now having Berba in one of those positions (not criticising Dimi here). Thats my feeling on it anyhoo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Marseille have strong players, they aren't your average continental lightweighters with decent technique who usually get blown away by Premier League physicality.

I'll make a bold statement here - if they can keep the ball a bit better, which they might with Valbuena, I fancy them to nick an away draw and go through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Smalling was immense tonight I thought.

Didier Deschamps these days kinds looks like Fr Jack Hackett if he scrubbed himself up a bit.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    This

I have pretty much accepted the way we play in Europe will now be the same, solid rather than expansive football is the order of the day. Its made us far more competitive in Europe more recently and Fergie I think has realised in the earlier days we were a bit naive when it came to the big European nights

Have either of you got the statistics to back up your claims?

I see this said all the time and it seems to be widely accepted but I haven't seen one statistical investigation which proves it. (I haven't seen one disproving it either, in fact I haven't seen one proper statistical investigation in football ever.)

I think saf plays 3 in the midfield because of the weakness in that position

I wonder if we had a young scholes and Keane would we be playing that formation these days ?

Just curious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Fergies way has always been to keep it tight until we get them back to ours, and then dominate them. He's had enough hard lessons through the years against the likes of Monaco, Porto, Dortmund etc when it's very hard to overturn a deficit in the second leg. I'd be happy enough with that result tonight.

• Advertisement

I see this said all the time and it seems to be widely accepted but I haven't seen one statistical investigation which proves it. (I haven't seen one disproving it either, in fact I haven't seen one proper statistical investigation in football ever.)

I'm just going by memory tbh. I think the 3 in midfield bacame regularly used in 2007?

Record since then:

2007 - Champions League Semi-Final
    2008 - Champions League Winners
    2009 - Champions League Final
    2010 - Champions League Quarter-Final

Record from 2000-2006:

2000 - Champions League Quarter-Final
    2001 - Champions League Quarter-Final
    2002 - Champions League Semi-Final
    2003 - Champions League Quarter-Final
    2004 - Champions League 2nd Round
    2005 - Champions League 2nd Round
    2006 - Champions League 1st Round

It really may just be selective thinking from me but we came off the back of a pretty poor spell in europe and we started to play 3 in the middle....

Also Flahs post may help ^

I'm just going by memory tbh. I think the 3 in midfield bacame regularly used in 2007?

Record since then:

2007 - Champions League Semi-Final
    2008 - Champions League Winners
    2009 - Champions League Final
    2010 - Champions League Quarter-Final

Record from 2000-2006:

2000 - Champions League Quarter-Final
    2001 - Champions League Quarter-Final
    2002 - Champions League Semi-Final
    2003 - Champions League Quarter-Final
    2004 - Champions League 2nd Round
    2005 - Champions League 2nd Round
    2006 - Champions League 1st Round

Honestly I don't trust your memory of when we changed to 3 CMs. Also, why do you only go back to 2000 for how we did with 2 CMs? We had some good runs before that.

With the data that you give there, it could be interpreted as the rise of Ronaldo having an effect on results.

I'm not saying that you are definitely wrong, I just haven't seen any evidence for your theory that our results have improved since we moved to 3 CMs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Was Lucho playing for Marseille? And if so, how did he do? I always look out for him, have had a soft spot for him since his early Porto days.

Honestly I don't trust your memory of when we changed to 3 CMs. Also, why do you only go back to 2000 for how we did with 2 CMs? We had some good runs before that.

With the data that you give there, it could be interpreted as the rise of Ronaldo having an effect on results.

I'm not saying that you are definitely wrong, I just haven't seen any evidence for your theory that our results have improved since we moved to 3 CMs.

You make some good points and I reckon for me it maybe a mental thing. Sure we often dont play well with the 3 midfielders and often have less of an attacking threat but do you not think we generally look a lot more solid, are a lot less ragged since the days of 4-4-2?

Maybe we are kind of both right with our suggestions for the reason for the switch and its in fact a combo of both?

Well we definitely played it in 2008 when we won it, I just can't quite remember if we did for certain in 2007. I only stoped at 2000 vecause the list i was using to cut and paste only went that far. It certainly shows enough to indicate from our results in 2004-2006 that something drastic needed to change. We've challenged well at the very latter stages of the competition using that formation - weren't far from winning two in a row.

We had success with 4-4-2 onbiously in '99 but that team was very very kamikaze and dare I say naive in Europe at times. We look a very solid unit with the three in midfield and tbh i thibk that will get you a long long way in the cometition if you're string at home - which United usually are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Fergie seriously needs to get the cheque book out for midfielders in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

God, what a boring match, thank god its over, a team top of the league in England v a mid-table French team. Is this what soccer has become?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Modric would go, no doubt and would be a great signing for Utd. He could replace the Scholes-like influence that Utd. have been missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

eZe^ wrote: »
    Was Lucho playing for Marseille? And if so, how did he do? I always look out for him, have had a soft spot for him since his early Porto days.

Yeah he played, he was pretty poor tbh. Had no impact on the game at all but to be fair not one forward thinking player did.

Brady called him Lucho Martinez at the end while he was dismissing him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement