Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pet Lambs how much?

• 22-02-2011 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Looking to buy some pet lambs to establish a small sheep flock, ewes are a bit too dear for me at the minute. What sort of price should I be looking at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Not a penny if they're at the bottle feeding stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

20 to 30 euro each i here there makin
    i see 10 on done deal 30 euro each:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

If there only a few days old not more than a tenner. Try buy and sell. Got 4 last year, 3 ewes and a ram for 40euro, in ballinacarrigy westmeath. If your not far away i could try find his number

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭galwayhillbilly

The ones on donedeal sold out in 3 hours, doubt he got 30 for all 10 together but you never know, farmers are fierce optimistic at the moment
    I can't buy anything straight away waiting for the herd no. to come back should have it in a few weeks, in time for peak lambing season (hopefully)

Just as a matter of interest does anyone know if I can count them towards SFP/Area Aid as livestock units, or do I have to wait until they are adults?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

The ones on donedeal sold out in 3 hours, doubt he got 30 for all 10 together but you never know, farmers are fierce optimistic at the moment
    I can't buy anything straight away waiting for the herd no. to come back should have it in a few weeks, in time for peak lambing season (hopefully)

Just as a matter of interest does anyone know if I can count them towards SFP/Area Aid as livestock units, or do I have to wait until they are adults?

We just give them away free. If I have any over the next few weeks I'll let you know. Ewes aren't lambing till second week in March.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that reillig, PM me if you have any, though the wife probably won't thank me, just got the kids weaned, back to the bottles again! at least there's no nappies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Thanks for that reillig, PM me if you have any, though the wife probably won't thank me, just got the kids weaned, back to the bottles again! at least there's no nappies
    don't use bottles, we use a bucket with a teat on the bottom and cold milk, fill once a day and forget about them, they don't follow you around nor come into the kitchen neither... marriage saved

rancher wrote: »
    don't use bottles, we use a bucket with a teat on the bottom and cold milk, fill once a day and forget about them, they don't follow you around nor come into the kitchen neither... marriage saved

thanks for that, how many lambs per bucket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

rancher wrote: »

Yep we use these buckets aswell for any pet lambs they are a great idea.

can feed 3 lambs on each side. Got it from Magnet.com or something like that. Its on the farming links at the top of the page.

Interestingly sold the last of my stores today which contained 3 lpet lambs from last years lambing. Admittedly its nearly a year on but got 95 euro all the same.
    It was worth the effort.

thanks for that, how many lambs per bucket?
    four on a bucket with one teat, or eight if you were prepared to fill it twice a day when they get older.
    Not the same bucket as you sea12, just looks like an ordinary bucket with one teat left with them all the time,
    We have sold pet pedigree ram lambs weighing seventy kilos on this system, pedigrees would be given two bags of milk each through the bucket,
    crossbreds are weaned at 35 days when they are eating half a pound of meal, they usually take one bag of milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 OnTheGame

how or whats the quickest way of getting a herd number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

OnTheGame wrote: »
    how or whats the quickest way of getting a herd number.

contact your local DVO ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Too cute. Do pet lambs get really angry when they get older though?

got the first of the pet lambs in this week one or 2 a bit scoury and not inclined to feed although they look to be in good form, any tips welcome, it been about 10 years since I hand reared any animal

Too cute. Do pet lambs get really angry when they get older though?

They can get overly familiar and overly enthusiastic which leads to a certain lack of manners and lack of respect :rolleyes: Remember a pet ram lamb chasing me around the garden once when I was little :pac:

Now I'm the one chasing the sheep around the fields. Oh how the tables have changed Lambo, how the tables have changed :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

got the first of the pet lambs in this week one or 2 a bit scoury and not inclined to feed although they look to be in good form, any tips welcome, it been about 10 years since I hand reared any animal

The scour dosnt sound great. When we had them i think it meant the lamb, hadnt enough glucose or something. Honestly cant remember though, just in my head for some reason

Treated them for scour with a tablet from vet seemed to do trick, gave them a tonic which seemed to buck them up a bit and they are sucking better now hopefully have them on the bucket soon, I am afraid that one or 2 of the lambs might just take it on, to finish off the whole bucket by themselves and end up swelled like a balloon and dead, how do I avoid this?
    Should be ready for another batch by the weekend, hows the lambing going Reilig?

Bucket of milk replacer?

Coyle Veterinary in Galway make a replacer named Nourish. It doesn't bloat lambs like Frisky and Lamlac can.

I was planning to use a bucket with a teats and fill it up with milk replacer and let them have at it for the day as per the previous posts above, but I have one or 2 greedy fellahs and I am afraid they will just keep on drinking until thye burst if I do that.
    Thanks for the tip on the Nourish, do you know where it can be bought? have at least a week left in the bag of lamlac but will certainly give it a try

I get mine from the Vet in Oughterard, Karel Verbruggen, €28 something I think per bucket. But the companies number is in the photo if you're not near that part of the world, I'm sure they can tell you who sells it in your area. We've been using it for 2 or 3 years now with no bloating problems.

P1020996.jpg

P1020994.jpg

• Advertisement

I was planning to use a bucket with a teats and fill it up with milk replacer and let them have at it for the day as per the previous posts above, but I have one or 2 greedy fellahs and I am afraid they will just keep on drinking until thye burst if I do that.
    Thanks for the tip on the Nourish, do you know where it can be bought? have at least a week left in the bag of lamlac but will certainly give it a try

We use Lamlac or Pro lamb, never had a problem. When changing from bottlefeeding, give them four or five feeds through the bucket, manually training them to the teat. When you’re sure they,re sucking well, leave a bucket with some milk in it with them after a feed, monitor them carefully for a couple of days and they should be alright, we’d have them on a bucket before a week old, they,re probably easier trained at that age. When training them you can get them used to cold milk.

Advertisement