Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are peoples tipping point on the price of petrol/diesel?

• 22-02-2011 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

I've been wondering what price will a litre of petrol/diesel have to get to before motoring becomes too expensive for people.

No doubt there are some already where its probable got too expensive.

With oil prices hitting $108 a barrel today, and going no where but up, we now have petrol at 144.9 and diesel and 139.9 (averages).

I drive a 2lt diesel, and currently filling it up at 130.9 a litre, costing about €90 a fill.

So at what point would it just be too expensive for people to fuel their car?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    I've been wondering what price will a litre of petrol/diesel have to get to before motoring becomes too expensive for people.

With oil prices hitting $108 a barrel today, and going no where but up, we now have petrol at 144.9 and diesel and 139.9 (averages).

I drive a 2lt diesel, and currently filling it up at 130.9 a litre, costing about €90 a fill.

At what point did it become too expensive to buy cigarettes ??

Oh wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭zxcvbnm12

totally agree with keith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Only Brent oil has gone up that high Crude oil is $92.70, but will probably go above $100 soon.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

OK, assuming we still have jobs and it's "just" the price of petrol that is increasing.

First thing to go is non-essential journeys. In my case I "could" walk the kids to creche and take the bus instead of driving to the luas. My wife has to drive to work, otherwise it would be a 2 hr journey each way.

We could then cut down on weekend journeys shopping/visiting people etc..

By the time we were doing the above, the country will have slid off a cliff. €3 a litre would not kill us in isolation, but you would see a return to only having a few gallons in the car at any time and padlocks on filler caps. and everything else would become much more expensive ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

It has probably come for some. I know my neighbour has sold the second car that the wife drove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

but you would see a return to only having a few gallons in the car at any time and padlocks on filler caps.
    One chap I know woke up to find that scratches on the door of his petrol cap and the release mechanism broken after thieves tried to get at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

At 5l per 100km mixed driving with a annual mileage of 12,000km, I reckon it could quadrupole before I would be forced to look at a alternative or aim for a more economical form of transport. At the moment it costs me roughly the same in petrol as it would in bus fare, saves me 1.5 hours a day or 7.5 hours a week which is a full working day. That time is worth well over 9k to me a year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

You must be living in the sticks with that price!?! Stuck paying 138.9 at my local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I don't think there ever will be a tipping point.

The car will have to be fueled, expensive or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I don't have the price of the next tank of fuel.

I've already turned down small jobs because the fuel element is too much in relation to the pay [when it comes in three months time].

I've been trying to get my clients to pay costs immediately out of petty cash, just like they'd pay a TAXI but they think I'm being obstreperous and get someone else.

I'm applying for state aid now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You must be living in the sticks with that price!?! Stuck paying 138.9 at my local.

You'd be surprise, theres an 11 cent difference between two stations that are only 3 km apart on my way home :)

1.29 at one and 1.40 at the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭voteforpedro

I drive a 2lt diesel, and currently filling it up at 130.9 a litre, costing about €90 a fill

where is daysul that cheap? what price is petrol there too btw;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Im still sticking to my petrol car and although it is expensive, I always have it in the back of my mind that I can swap to the cheaper diesel option should the going get too tough so for me, its nowhere near the point that I would consider getting rid of car altogether.
    I once spoke to a guy from I think from romania. He said wages there were equivalent of €200 per month yet petrol was same price as Ireland but they still drove cars (no alot Im sure) so I figure we have along way to go before people turn to the bicycle.

Its possibly at a price now where many people reconsider some non critical journeys though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

I'm getting to that stage now, really trying to cut down on any unessessary trips or combining them into the commute to college. Before Xmas there was alot of driving for the sake of it or because one or two friends were around We'd go for a spin, not anymore.

Apart from milage and costs associated with it, €150 for a service last week and fuel costs I'm using the car less and less, which isn't a bad thing either.

I'm into cycling and over Xmas and the last few weeks the bike has seen very little action due to the weather mainly, but I'm finally getting back to it and with an 80K cycle in june ,it's probably just as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭galwegians

to expensive now, but if you live in the country were the public transport is crap. you are caught, i dont drive now unless i really have to cant afford it.
    only going to get dearer as well unfortunatly.:confused::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

We're a very car dependent country so as post #2 alluded to the answer is there isn't one [within reason - obviously were oil to hit $300 and price per litre to start threatening €4/5 then it'd be a different situation but what I've described is pretty nuclear and the world at large would be in serious difficulty not just us].

The mass migration to Diesel over the past 3 years is good indicator of how people adjust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

at 1.50 ill start using green diesel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's nearly 1.40 in Cork at the moment for Diesel, and pretty much a similar price for Petrol. I'm not driving half as much as I used to, quite simply can't afford to be filling the tank that used to cost 55 Euro now for 90 each week. If it goes any more, I'm officially giving up on trying to own anything on 4 wheels in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'm doing the same, my amount of driving has been cut down massively. I expect to only do about 6000-7000 miles a year from now on, compared to 9500 a year last few years.

I live outside Dundalk and it costs over €27 to get to the airport and back, its only 45mins away.
    At the same time i'll still keep paying whatever the price is, i've a feeling we'll be looking back in a year or two and think €1.45 a litre was cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭TheBigEvil

Now, Paying that in Dublin. There is a station on Collins Avenue (near Donnycarney end) that sells Diesel only. Bought today for 131.9. Hes cash only, but there is a Spar opposite side of road with a csh machine.

The Topaz 150 yards round the corner is selling at 141.9 for diesel

There is also a place up in Drogheda, where I drive in from that has it at the same price. Go to the independents, stay away from the main petrol dealers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Pretty depressing thought if it keeps creeping up. Must go out and redden the car around the roads after the chelsea game while I still can!

The day may well come when most folk who travel a few miles to work do so on a scooter and just use the car for when a car is actually needed. It would want to get very expensive though before yokes that do 40mpg are too expensive to run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Only a matter of time lads before we start forming packs and chase Topez fuel tankers on our roads:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

i'm thinking of exchanging car for an ass an cart, not sure if the rest of the family are in agreement with me - the teenagers may be a bit embarrassed with our new travel arrangements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I'm happy if I'm paying near enough to €50 for a full tank...don't mind if it floats around there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Usually when going to the shop (a mere 5 mins drive away) I would take the car, but in the last while I have walked

Currently paying 135.9 for Diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭CabanasBoy

gbee wrote: »

I'm applying for state aid now

Good luck with that:D

Seriously though, the fuel bills ain't funny when you're doing 8-900kms a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭billyboy01

I think the price rises in fuel is a good thing, as it will push Scientists and Engineers to discover or invent some other form of fuel!

When fuel reaches the 2€ per litre mark, Im getting a Smart, IQ or Aygo!

With 60MPG or 4L/100KM. Thats the only option if you wish to travel on four wheels with a roof!:)

Bye Bye to the BMW's and 4WD's!:(

The only bad thing is the price rises in Comsumer Goods due to logistic costs! especially for an Island like us!

I believe the price of food is currently more expensive in the West and Cork, due to the cost of deliveries from Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

bmarley wrote: »
    i'm thinking of exchanging car for an ass an cart

F*ck your ass and cart, Ive got a hor..........

• Advertisement
Advertisement