Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a FTA/DDTV alternative to Sky +

• 22-02-2011 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    Apologies if this has already been covered but I have read through lots of various posts and I am still none the wiser.

Is there is a box on the market that will give me the same functionality as I currently have with Sky +.

In other words a box that will deliver Free to Air sat and DDTV stations, that can record at least two different stations at once, and while recording two stations the user can view a previously recorded programme, all delivered in a EPG that is similar to sky + (no setting of recording times like old VHS, ability to series link etc)
    It would also need to have the ability to pause and re-wind live TV.

I am aware that the storage of recorder programmes may require an external device, and that I would need an antenna or MPEG4 TV for DDTV.

I would like to rid myself of the Sky subscription but only if the alternative can deliver the same functionality.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

In a short reply NO.

There is no Freesat/Saorview box with a 7 Day epg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

scaller wrote: »
    In a short reply NO.

There is no Freesat/Saorview box with a 7 Day epg.

Thanks for that

Is there a 'long' reply ?

What duration EPGs do the Freesat/Saorview boxes usually have ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

A possible long reply might point you in the direction of a HTPC with DVB-T and DVB-S tuners.

I believe a HTPC setup would do everything you require, although I'm not sure about "series link" - I have no need for that myself, so haven't researched it.

tmcw wrote: »
    A possible long reply might point you in the direction of a HTPC with DVB-T and DVB-S tuners.

I believe a HTPC setup would do everything you require, although I'm not sure about "series link" - I have no need for that myself, so haven't researched it.

Thanks, I have seen the HTPC with DVB-T and DVB-S mentioned on other threads, I'll look into it a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Yes, I was going to suggest that in an edit, as there is a lot of information out there, easily obtained on google, but it is quite technical.

A wet-dream if you like that sort of stuff, difficult if you don't.

About series link, a quick search shows that something like Mediaportal can do it, I use Mediaportal myself, but haven't used that function, mainly just use it for playing media files, music collection, DVDs and Irish TV and radio; can be a bit daunting initially, and if you haven't delved "under the hood" for a while, it can take a while to get used to again, but I really enjoy using it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Thanks for that

Is there a 'long' reply ?

What duration EPGs do the Freesat/Saorview boxes usually have ?

Freesat and Saorview boxes that have 7-8 day EPG.
    But there is no such thing as a Branded Freesat/Saorview pvr combo box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Thanks, I have seen the HTPC with DVB-T and DVB-S mentioned on other threads, I'll look into it a bit more.

VU+Duo See the nice long thread in the foreign satelitte forum. This will give you 2 dvb-s2 tuners, dvb-t via a dvb-t stick that permanently sits in the back and you can record to a hard disc via the means that you outlined above.

Otherwise you could use a few Combo boxes (€130 each) but their functionality is limited to record DTT and watch Satellite (vice versa).

At that price you could have one in the back room recording or on top of each other if recording is your concern. Sat recording will be limited to using a timer and or now/next epg as thats how FTA satellite epg is broadcast.

For people who just want to watch HD DTT/HD Satellite in one box/remote/channel list (and record the odd programme when not at the TV) the HD Combo boxes (start at €130) will be fine.

For most older people they will be fine.

STB wrote: »
    VU+Duo See the nice long thread in the foreign satelitte forum. This will give you 2 dvb-s2 tuners, dvb-t via a dvb-t stick that permanently sits in the back and you can record to a hard disc via the means that you outlined above.

Otherwise you could use a few Combo boxes (€130 each) but their functionality is limited to record DTT and watch Satellite (vice versa).

At that price you could have one in the back room recording or on top of each other if recording is your concern. Sat recording will be limited to using a timer and or now/next epg as thats how FTA satellite epg is broadcast.

For people who just want to watch HD DTT/HD Satellite in one box/remote/channel list (and record the odd programme when not at the TV) the HD Combo boxes (start at €130) will be fine.

Thanks for all that, I'll keep investigating

I got a FTA\DDTV combo box setup for my mother at the weekend which suites her fine as she does not wish to record or pause/rewind etc.

I have no fear of getting stuck into a Linux/open source box either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

QBox HD Mini might be the answer to your problems, I know it can have DTT and FTA, and record one while recording another. Not sure if it will let you watch a recorded programme though while doing the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

QBox HD Mini might be the answer to your problems, I know it can have DTT and FTA, and record one while recording another. Not sure if it will let you watch a recorded programme though while doing the above.

had a qbox mini,was a nice box with plenty of features for the price,but its open source linux which with people who are handy with software is a dream too play with as you can add features,addons and plugins
    great picture quality and sound are spot on,had limited media player as most combo boxes have,not all,think it be at least 6 months too a year before we see a saorview combo box but as irish market is small ,guess wont be a hurry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

The qbox hd mini (and other linux set top boxes i assume) can give you a seven day epg using crossepg software.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭t c

I beg to differ with Scaller.
    I have a Humax Freesat receiver with built in hd and I have just looked up to see what is on this -day-week, no problems. All my stations are FTA and I have BBC, ITV, CH4, RTE 2 all in HD. I can pause and re-wind live tv, and I can record a series of programmes, CSI etc.

I can record 2 programmes and watch a third.

I have the Irish stations on my tv with aerial or, if tv not compatible, a Saorview receiver and aerial.

As long as op is aware that he will not get any tv that has to be paid for, Sky channels, Living etc, then, yes, he can do what he wants.

TC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

t c wrote: »
    I beg to differ with Scaller.
    I have a Humax Freesat receiver with built in hd and I have just looked up to see what is on this -day-week, no problems. All my stations are FTA and I have BBC, ITV, CH4, RTE 2 all in HD. I can pause and re-wind live tv, and I can record a series of programmes, CSI etc.

I can record 2 programmes and watch a third.

I have the Irish stations on my tv with aerial or, if tv not compatible, a Saorview receiver and aerial.

As long as op is aware that he will not get any tv that has to be paid for, Sky channels, Living etc, then, yes, he can do what he wants.

TC

Missing the point. OP looking for a box that will record satellite and terrestrial with 7 day EPG for both and other things. Freesat+ and Saorview is not the solution to their problem as you can't get all the channels on the one box.

Thanks for the replies.
    Like all families these days we are trying to find ways of cutting down on bills, and Sky is the next target.

The kids watch a bit of Nick jnr etc but we (the parents) usually don't watch TV during the day and only sit down in front of it at 8 and watch what we have recorded earlier that day or over the past few days.

And most of the stuff we record comes from Rte, TV3, TG4 or the UK FTA stations, that's why a box that will cover them all on a 7 day EPG is what I am looking for.

We spend e31 a month on Sky so at e300+ the VU+ Duo may not be the best option as it would take a year to pay for itself

evilivor wrote: »
    Missing the point. OP looking for a box that will record satellite and terrestrial with 7 day EPG for both and other things. Freesat+ and Saorview is not the solution to their problem as you can't get all the channels on the one box.

Evilivor, no I think, you're missing the point, combo boxes like the qbox (and I assume the humax etc..) do have all the freesat & saorview channels on the one box, the DTT & Sat channels can all be on the one EPG / channel list, so you don't even know you're switching between the 2 systems. The 7 day EPG works for both.

The main thing missing form the current crop of combo boxes is MHEG5, so press the 'red button' options won't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Evilivor, no I think, you're missing the point, combo boxes like the qbox (and I assume the humax etc..) do have all the freesat & saorview channels on the one box, the DTT & Sat channels can all be on the one EPG / channel list, so you don't even know you're switching between the 2 systems. The 7 day EPG works for both.

The main thing missing form the current crop of combo boxes is MHEG5, so press the 'red button' options won't work.

Humax dont have a combo box.

The OP is looking for a single box that does the lot. It does not exist. Simple reason - that 3 tuner version is no good either for the all either as you would need 4 - two for Sat, 2 for DTT(Saorview) - the second muxes about to come on.

There are shortcut versions that involve having 2 boxes and that is it.

IN 3 tuner land there are the techomates The TM7100 is the dvb-t and double dvb-s2 tuners. The TM7102 is the dvb-t2 and double dvb-s2 tuners. Both of these have software patches that allow for downloading the 7 day epg off a Sky satellite transponder. Its not automatic - human interaction is required.

There is also the German version of the Technomates - the Clarke Tech 6600 (also in the first hyper link above).

Otherwise the linux route is the VU+duo with a dvb-t stick.

Again besides all of these and if 7 day epg on satellite isnt an issue themn 2 ferguson ariva 120 combos could be bought for €160 total.

An no, a Qbox Mini HD Combo only has 2 tuners, 1 dvb-t and 1 dvb-s2 so is useless for recording and watching something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Humax dont have a combo box.

The OP is looking for a single box that does the lot. It does not exist. Simple reason - that 3 tuner version is no good either for the all either as you would need 4 - two for Sat, 2 for DTT(Saorview) - the second muxes about to come on.

There are shortcut versions that involve having 2 boxes and that is it.

IN 3 tuner land there are the techomates The TM7100 is the dvb-t and double dvb-s2 tuners. The TM7102 is the dvb-t2 and double dvb-s2 tuners. Both of these have software patches that allow for downloading the 7 day epg off a Sky satellite transponder. Its not automatic - human interaction is required.

There is also the German version of the Technomates - the Clarke Tech 6600 (also in the first hyper link above).

Otherwise the linux route is the VU+duo with a dvb-t stick.

Again besides all of these and if 7 day epg on satellite isnt an issue themn 2 ferguson ariva 120 combos could be bought for €160 total.

An no, a Qbox Mini HD Combo only has 2 tuners, 1 dvb-t and 1 dvb-s2 so is useless for recording and watching something else.

tony and dave are selling good combos ,also powercity,evn sound store is selling ferguson combo
    if i was too buy a qbox,would buy qbox one

A triple tuner box comes pretty close to fulfilling the OPs spec with regard to recording any 2 channels

At the moment it will do that, but when the DTT channels start using 2 mux, then he will only be able to view/record on one mux.

A triple tuner box plus a TV that has a DTT tuner would be pretty close.
    view one mux record on the other.

How often would you be trying to record 2 Irish channels at the same time?
    If it's TV3 the program is prob available on sat from ITV anyway, RTE1 and you can try RTE1 +1 to avoid the clash. And RTE repeat lots of stuff anyway.

2 twin tuner boxes that can record to a NAS would be nice, that would be 4 tuners and anything recorded on one would be visible from the other, otherwise it could get confusing looking for stuff.

I don't think there are options for series link on any combo box, best you can get is 7 day epg (setup a scheduled epg download to run every night, then forget about it). HTPC route may have some kind of bodge for series link.

Advertisement