Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All of my documents (photos, music ) GONE?!

• 22-02-2011 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭

Shock horror!
    Ok when i turned on my laptop a few mins ago all my documents were gone?? All i was leftwith on my desktop was skype, MSN, IE, Norton. I dont know what happened but can i get my stuff back? Can i do a system restore to a few days ago or something? Help I'm raging here!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Looks like your machine just created a new blank profile.

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<yourname>\Desktop and it should be there.

You could go in to Control Panel and delete the 'new' account. I'd make a back up of all your stuff first though (burn to dvd\copy to external hard drive).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭fieryfox

when i went into control panel user accounts it just showed myname account and guest account?
    chin_grin wrote: »
    Looks like your machine just created a new blank profile.

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<yourname>\Desktop and it should be there.

You could go in to Control Panel and delete the 'new' account. I'd make a back up of all your stuff first though (burn to dvd\copy to external hard drive).

fieryfox wrote: »
    when i went into control panel user accounts it just showed myname account and guest account?

No that was the next step!

Open up My Computer and select your C:\ drive. Then go in to Documents and Settings (this is me guessing that you're running an xp system?). Then go in to the folder that has your name (or if you didn't set up an account just go in to the administrator one). Then click on desktop see if your files are in there.

wow u were right... my files are in there !!!!
    So what do i do now?
    No that was the next step!

Open up My Computer and select your C:\ drive. Then go in to Documents and Settings (this is me guessing that you're running an xp system?). Then go in to the folder that has your name (or if you didn't set up an account just go in to the administrator one). Then click on desktop see if your files are in there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Backup!

• Advertisement

wow u were right... my files are in there !!!!
    So what do i do now?

Oh yee of little faith! ;)

Yeah looks like your machine created a new blank profile.

Now go to Start - Control Panel - User Accounts and tell me what's in there. (Don't do anything, just tell me what's in there!).

Also another point to note could you please tell me the name(s) of the folders that were in the Documents and Settings one? Did one have an underscore (_) or a 1 after it?

If you wanted to you could also start backing up your stuff. If you didn't have any media handy (DVD's\USB Key) you could download and install Dropbox and upload your files to that. It allows you 2GB of space for any files you want to back up. I know that doesn't sound like much but it's the best for a free service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Or you could just restart and get rid of the temp profile.

Or you could just restart and get rid of the temp profile.

Aye, was just hoping that it wouldn't create another one. Happened to me before. Not fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Aye, was just hoping that it wouldn't create another one. Happened to me before. Not fun.

Its easy enough to fix, you just get rid of the temp SID from the registry and run a disk scan to find what caused it in the first place.

Edit, here you go.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947242

Any updates on this? Did you get in to safe mode ok following that microsoft link?

• Advertisement

No too woried to mess it up LOL

No too woried to mess it up LOL

Ah you won't! Really, going in to safe mode will not harm the machine and it's just a precautionary step when sorting errors like this out.

Are you still getting that message about the error creating profile when you power it up\log in?

If you go to that folder again (C:\Documents and Settings\) Are there folders in there with any numbers after them?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318011

Found this link too.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151 (How to copy data from one profile to another).

Advertisement