Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forbidden Fruit

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

kerash wrote: »
    but you could chill and have a drink in a pub - are you not going for the music?

just heading n for APhex tomorrow, so not bothered myself will chill out in a local bar somewhere, get there for 8 bells!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Sacred_git wrote: »
    just heading n for APhex tomorrow, so not bothered myself will chill out in a local bar somewhere, get there for 8 bells!
    +1:D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

Yeah, I was in line for about 45 mins with the missus waiting for drinks but in fairness they responded by selling cans of bulmers at a different location to alleviate the pressure on the main bar so I presume they'll shake things up tomorrow and improve it. The problem was alot to do with no structured queue with lines approaching the circular bar from everywhere!

I really enjoyed the music though. Wild Beasts and Flaming Lips were brilliant. It's great being able to sit down on the grass and watch the main stage as it's at the bottom of a gentle slope and I thought the atmosphere was great and very chilled!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

kerash wrote: »
    but you could chill and have a drink in a pub - are you not going for the music?

ah give me a break. Get off your high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Won't even use the line "people in this country like to drink at gigs". More like "people like to drink at gigs". Pretty standard fare to expect to be able to get a pint at a gig regardless of where you go. If drinking at music events isn't your bag more power to you but it doesn't excuse the mess that was the setup at this.

Considering I was in that bar before the coolers broke and there was still queues that wasn't the only issue. The issue is they are pulling pints with bar equipment at a music festival. This is the sort of kit they use at big festivals in the UK.

Otherwise the rest of the setup seemed ok. Lots of food stands (pieminister is there!). Toilet queues got a bit messy for girls at one point but not terrible. Might have been worse if they actually had the beer working. Ground could have done with a once over. Lots of nettles/hogweed and a few rabbit holes in the hills. Watch your step!

Anyway the music was pretty excellent. Best band by far were Colourmusic but on way too early. Gave it proper socks but as they said themselves catch them when they play a show at 11.

Jape was a mix of terrible and great. He mentioned they were trialing some new songs and I think it showed as many just fell a bit flat. However the old standbys went down well. Sound could have been better for him.

Bombay Bicycle Club were pretty poor so watched Spies instead. Spies were excellent. Had a bang of emo off them at the start but that soon faded away. Would check them out again.

Beardyman was good fun. Seemed to be doing a lot less beatboxing and a good bit more djing / singing. I know he was looping some stuff but felt there was a lot of backing tracks there that he didn't used to use. Still he opened with My Lovely Horse which pretty much justified the entire festival.

Wild Beasts sounded good but wasn't paying too much attention to them. Skipped out to Murrays Bar for a drink (top tip if the bars break again but only weekend bands are allowed back in). FLIPs were their usual over the top self. I suspect the screen was theirs though. Wonder what Aphex will use for visuals tomorrow?

Colourmusic
    image2.jpg
    Main stage
    image3.jpg
    Crowd at Beardyman
    image4.jpg
    Flaming Lips
    image5.jpg
    image1.jpg

• Advertisement

If I did want a drink, what are they serving, surely not just cider?
    Real men drink beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

bulmers-becks-wine i belive.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Is there anywhere close by that you can park?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

lordgoat wrote: »

Inchicore maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Charco2006

Beau wrote: »
    Fecking ques! Thourogh search ay the entrance took the drink I tried to sneak in, disaster. Still decent craic sober.

Ha Ha, likewise! I had a water pouch of vodka hidden down my jocks. Got stung...The security guy goes to me "your either hung like a horse buddy or yer hiding something"

Gonna have to be more careful today...:o

• Advertisement

Charco2006 wrote: »
    The security guy goes to me "your either hung like a horse buddy or yer hiding something"

That's when you play the line "meet me around back in ten minutes and find out!".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

GopErthike wrote: »
    ah give me a break. Get off your high horse.
    :rolleyes:
    It's a serious question, you're after paying for your ticket - cant believe someone wouldn't bother going because they can't get a drink!
    I'm not denying that the bar situation was a disaster and everyone would prefer drink was available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

looks like they have got their bar problem sorted out

Here is a small highlight reel of the action yesterday. Again, Bulmers and Pod apologise unreservedly for the long delays on the bars yesterday, technicians have been here working overnight and have fixed the problem. We've also set up a 4th bar. We know it was frustrating, but hopefully it didn't ruin what was a great day of music. Looking forward to day 2!

Only a few hours until aphex twin:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

shamtastic wrote: »
    Yeah, I was in line for about 45 mins with the missus waiting for drinks but in fairness they responded by selling cans of bulmers at a different location to alleviate the pressure on the main bar so I presume they'll shake things up tomorrow and improve it. The problem was alot to do with no structured queue with lines approaching the circular bar from everywhere!

I really enjoyed the music though. Wild Beasts and Flaming Lips were brilliant. It's great being able to sit down on the grass and watch the main stage as it's at the bottom of a gentle slope and I thought the atmosphere was great and very chilled!

I just skipped the queue every time. You jelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

First time for drinks I queued, and absolutely ate the face of a few lads who skipped in ahead of us. Made no difference, they weren't getting out. I skipped the next time. Feel a bit guilty though.

I don't know just how fixed this bar issue is. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not much better than yesterday, I don't think you can fix such a critical fault overnight...!

But anyways, music and atmosphere wise, it was great! Went to see The Subs over the Flaming Lips and thought they were amazing. Caught the end of Flaming Lips, the confetti was so surreal. Setting is lovely altogether, would have high hopes for next year...

Now, for Caribou tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

shamtastic wrote: »
    Yeah, I was in line for about 45 mins with the missus waiting for drinks but in fairness they responded by selling cans of bulmers at a different location to alleviate the pressure on the main bar so I presume they'll shake things up tomorrow and improve it

Yea but they didn't tell anyone! The words 'piss-up' and 'brewery' spring to mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

POA for today, get tanked up before hand and not go so early. Have four cans and head in for Caribou and should make for a good night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Yo La Tengo made yesterday for me.

If anyone is that good today I'll be very pleased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

niallo24 wrote: »

That must be cause you're more important than everyone else. It also contributed to some of us having to queue for over an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

No probs on the beer front today and here comes the sun : D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 furrycup

lordgoat wrote: »
    heauston station

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

BrianD wrote: »
    Great to see a festival in the city though.

However, its a sign of the times in the music biz when they are looking for voluntary staff. I just don't see how this would work out. The promoter needs a job to be done while the people really want to get to see the gigs for free.

most festivals have been taking volunteers on a work for ticket basis for ages,FF was over subscribed in that manner shortly after applications were put online
    Toast wrote: »
    That's when you play the line "meet me around back in ten minutes and find out"QUOTE]

dont forget the pervy grin and wink combo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

niallo24 wrote: »

Haha very! Don't know much about bar work myself but as another post mentioned there was surely a more efficient way of drink pouring at festivals than their taps...so slow! I know pre-poured pints probably isn't good practice but when there's only two types of pint available they should be ready to go-ish. It was like a bar inside a bar there, the staff themselves were jostling for position to get near a tap then snatching pints from everywhere!

Shame cause I overheard the man on front of me saying he wouldn't go again because of it.

Oh and did anyone else think that the main stage and the tent to the right were a little too close? The bass from the tent was very strong at times and kinda drowning out the act on main stage. Noticed it most when sitting at the top of the slope where the sound was also kinda muffled for Bombay Bicycle Club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

First time for drinks I queued, and absolutely ate the face of a few lads who skipped in ahead of us. Made no difference, they weren't getting out. I skipped the next time. Feel a bit guilty though.

I don't know just how fixed this bar issue is. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not much better than yesterday, I don't think you can fix such a critical fault overnight...!

But anyways, music and atmosphere wise, it was great! Went to see The Subs over the Flaming Lips and thought they were amazing. Caught the end of Flaming Lips, the confetti was so surreal. Setting is lovely altogether, would have high hopes for next year...

Now, for Caribou tonight!

was way better the sunday; no hour long queues. aphex brought techno and everything else too, caribou were good of course but the sound was a bit ****e even though it was decent for everyone else.

on a whole, some teething issues as can be expected but they better contine. fantatic venue, good craic all round from the entire crowd and some brilliant music/

people will say aohex were only alright, but he did it all, house, rock, techno, electro. the man is a genius at what he does

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Highlights of #forbiddenfruit @BATS_ @Solar_Bears Caribou, enjoyed le sac V pip, squarehead, and K's big band. Battles/ATwin better indoors.

Only went the sunday, was impressed for the first year. Things it needs to work on..

The layout could be better, also there was a dj over on the extreme left in a little hut type thing, just at the bottom of the hill as you came in, who was so loud it could be heard pretty much at the main stage. This type of sound bleed was a problem thoughout the venue.

More toilets.

I had no problem with the food, let me give a shout out to the Pieminister and the lovely lady selling the sweets and nuts, yum.

Bar issues. Plenty of staff, but why stick them all in a tiny number of bars? If there was another Core Bar type thing at the bottom of the hill by the food court it would have helped alot.

People who have already decided to not go back based on the ability to not by beer, in my eyes, will only improve the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Afx was fantastic, was surprised that it was so beat driven. Loved it.

Well the drinks issue was well sorted this time around. Fair play. They segmented the bar so each queue was separate rather than having 5 queues going into the one thing. Also saw some high powered pourers in the back which might have been new (or possibly what broke originally).

Rain mostly held off with a few threatening bits of drizzle at times but never got muddy (could have left the wellies at home!).

Openers the TCD orchestra were good but the crowd were desperately in need of someone to hype them up a bit. Cormacks big band were good fun too and actually had some early afternoon dancing going on. Will have to check them out again at Glastonbury. Sundays novelty song: "Baby on Board" by the barbershop quartet on stage.

Dan Le Sac were good but they haven't really brought much new to their act since they toured their last album. Considering they appear to be playing everything this year I'll probably skip them if there are clashes in the future.

Odd as it sounds after giving out earlier in the thread about the possibility of the main stage being in a tent I'd actually have preferred to see most of the acts in one of the tents or at least at night. Caribou, Battles and Aphex Twin were wasted on that stage in the bright sun. Stuff like Solar Bears and Cast of Cheers in the tents were great.

All in all not a bad festival. Considering I went into it with the mindset that it was just a glorified outdoor gig rather than a festival that's a pretty good compliment. Would return if the line up is good next year but no reason to go if it wasn't

Trinity Orchestra
    image7.jpg

Solar Bears
    image8.jpg

Some site shots.
    image9.jpg

image10.jpg

Cast of Cheers
    image11.jpg

Aphex was epic, mind fcuked everbody and played a lot of new material, some of which was beyond epic, just unreal, people who thought he was just alright just didn't get it and well they don't matter ha
    sound and lighting could of been better though, revamp it for next year! Great gig though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Highlights...

Yo La Tengo: Stopping mid-song to acknowledge the sound-leakage from another stage, ending with pass the hacket and Ira needing two guitars to get through the song.

Bats and Cast of Cheers

Things I didn't like...

Flaming Lips: the music and the cheesy theatrics had all the worst elements of prog-rock.

Aphex Twin: I watched the first 25 minutes of his set, I found it boring and aimless, I think if I was in a different mood or if it had better sound then it would have been more enjoyable, I went to see Cast of Cheers instead, they were fantastic, the tent was packed too.

On the fence...

Caribou: was better when I moved further away and the sound improved, but I think his music is better suited to smaller, indoor venues.

Overall I had a great time, queuing for booze wasn't an issue on Sunday... it wasn't an issue on Saturday for me either, I just did without.

There was a great crowd, no hassle, met some lovely people too.

Did anyone get eats from the pieminister? The best pie I've ever had

I hope this is an annual festival, although electronic acts shouldn't close the night on the main stage... it just doesn't work. It's an genre I enjoy but the limitations with sound at an outdoor festival and the size of the crowd really takes away from the music... imo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Polygon_window

smokedeels wrote: »
    Highlights...

Yo La Tengo: Stopping mid-song to acknowledge the sound-leakage from another stage, ending with pass the hacket and Ira needing two guitars to get through the song.

Bats and Cast of Cheers

Things I didn't like...

Flaming Lips: the music and the cheesy theatrics had all the worst elements of prog-rock.

Aphex Twin: I watched the first 25 minutes of his set, I found it boring and aimless, I think if I was in a different mood or if it had better sound then it would have been more enjoyable, I went to see Cast of Cheers instead, they were fantastic, the tent was packed too.

On the fence...

Caribou: was better when I moved further away and the sound improved, but I think his music is better suited to smaller, indoor venues.

Overall I had a great time, queuing for booze wasn't an issue on Sunday... it wasn't an issue on Saturday for me either, I just did without.

There was a great crowd, no hassle, met some lovely people too.

Did anyone get eats from the pieminister? The best pie I've ever had

I hope this is an annual festival, although electronic acts shouldn't close the night on the main stage... it just doesn't work. It's an genre I enjoy but the limitations with sound at an outdoor festival and the size of the crowd really takes away from the music... imo.

boring and aimless eh, that my friend was on another level, you must of been one of the ones up the back waiting for afx to come on when he was already on for a good 20 minutes, you just didn't get it, in other words you are a person who watches the x factor!

Advertisement