Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forbidden Fruit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

that my friend was on another level

what does that even mean?

another level of what... what did you enjoy about his set?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Polygon_window

answer my question first - truthfully!!! Do you watch the X-Factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Agree with smokedeels. Don't understand why you'd want to watch somebody play a record. I'm off to watch x-factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

The stages were way too close together. The sound was not good from the main stage. Highlights for me were enemies and aphex. Hugely disappointed with Battles and the much hyped Caribou. Epic fail for the DJ in the undergrowth tent then who proclaimed; 'it's about to get crazy in here' - yeah... keep telling yourself that :pac:

EDIT - Stop talking about XFactor!
    @Polygon - Aphex is so diverse even a fan may not get to hear what the want and be disappointed - but to see the man is in itself a joy to the fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 onelinedrawing

Had an amazing weekend filming at the festival! Sifting through 600 GBs of footage at the moment, we've got 25 acts going up over the next two weeks, some wonderful videos and memories.

Lighthouse stage was amazing both days, Ham Sandwich and Cast Of Cheers headlined either night and were pretty much my highlights (though Im a sucker for the Flaming Lips theatrics)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I think loads of people went to see Aphex Twin with the wrong expectations... I tried my best to have no expectations at all. Sometimes he plays his songs, sometimes he plays a dance gig, sometimes he just makes noise. Yesterday was a dance gig with a bit of noise at the end, and it was ****ing incredible. The whole experience, the lights, the video manipulation, the music, actually seeing Richard D James in person, it was amazing. And the slower tempo Vordhosbn was class! :cool:

I've been following the Flaming Lips as a hardcore fan for about 9 years now and I didn't think much of the first half of their show. By the time they'd done the stupid singalong recapitulations of She Don't Use Jelly, The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, Do You Realize?? and the **** version of Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt. 1, we could have had two or three extra songs in the set. Convinced of the Hex and See The Leaves sounded great, Pompeii am Gotterdammerung was unreal, and I lost my ****ing **** when they played What Is The Light and all of the Observer :pac:

I think they always try to play for the 'new guy', they do all the theatrics to get the guys who don't know their albums, play their singles, make a huge spectacle, so someone who's never seen them before will immediately love it, but for us who have been listening to them for years and want to get really into a good show, they never deliver. I don't think they ever will either, it's just not their style.

Enemies were deadly, loved the whole guitar amp debacle ending in him forgetting to plug his guitar into the amp after he'd fixed the power supply :pac:

Absolutely LOVED Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip, incredible showman and sounded great. Their banter wasn't annoying either. I got to meet him later on at Caribou, he took one of my demos :D

I hadn't listened to Caribou before, but I ****ing HAVE to now, they were so good! The drummer was a total beast and the whole set up sounded great too.

I got in late on the Sunday so I only caught Too Long from the Trinity Orchestra but they sounded great except you COULDN'T HEAR THE STRINGS! And that male singer on the right......... He thought people were laughing with him :pac: I stuck around for Kormac's Big Band too, they were quality!

Really disappointed with Battles, didn't think they worked well, maybe it was the size of the stage or the fact I don't know them very well.

I didn't get what the buzz was with Carte Blanche and Aeroplane at all...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

Had an amazing weekend filming at the festival! Sifting through 600 GBs of footage at the moment, we've got 25 acts going up over the next two weeks, some wonderful videos and memories.

Lighthouse stage was amazing both days, Ham Sandwich and Cast Of Cheers headlined either night and were pretty much my highlights (though Im a sucker for the Flaming Lips theatrics)

interview with Aphex?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 onelinedrawing

Unfortunately not, he doesnt really do video interviews, we might be getting a text one for the blog, but priority 1 at the moment is sifting through the 700GBs of footage we shot over the weekend, had hoped to get at least one band up today, but I don't know how likely that'll be. So hopefully by tomorrow therell be some bands up.

Rough schedule is Day 1 going up this week and day 2 going up the folowing week!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Looking for 2FM streams of the festival, was searching on the 2FM website with no joy, surely this event would have been covered.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

any body catch jamie xx?? and carte blanche are known for their mixing and their live performance ,and they are under the ed banger label i think ,not to sure about aeroplane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Highlights for me were Jamie XX and Not Squares. Tera Melos and Caribou were good too. Don Conroy was surreal! :D

Overall, a very enjoyable day. It had a lovely boutique festival feel to it.

Aphex Twin
    afxz.jpg
    Don Conroy!
    donfh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Looking for 2FM streams of the festival, was searching on the 2FM website with no joy, surely this event would have been covered.

I think Phantom were covering the festival. Try their website.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

smokedeels wrote: »
    Highlights...

Aphex Twin: I watched the first 25 minutes of his set, I found it boring and aimless, I think if I was in a different mood or if it had better sound then it would have been more enjoyable, I went to see Cast of Cheers instead, they were fantastic, the tent was packed too.

Totally agreed , Left after about 20mins of Aphex Twin and went to see Cast of Cheers who were unreal and a great way to end my day,

Also just because someone doesnt like AT means that they watch X-Factor:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: . Sorry to say i didnt like AT and the X-Factor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Apex Twin is a legend. His influence on electronic music (and even rock bands like Radiohead) can't be overstated. He is the only act of the weekend who is likely to be remembered 50 or 100 years from now.

His set was amazing. I wasn't expecting to recognise anything or even for there to be any sort of beat. It was way more techno-y than i expected and lots of acid in the mix. He has a reputation for self indulgence but he did play for the crowd. I recognised tracks from SAW 1, drukqs, SAW2 and some Tuss material. Good visual show too. So glad I've seen him live :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

boring and aimless eh, that my friend was on another level, you must of been one of the ones up the back waiting for afx to come on when he was already on for a good 20 minutes, you just didn't get it, in other words you are a person who watches the x factor!
    answer my question first - truthfully!!! Do you watch the X-Factor?

You liked the gig he didn't. Get off you're little fan boi horse and realise that the set he played yesterday wasn't to everyone's taste. This b-ollocks of not getting it makes you sound pretty ridiculous to be honest.

Now before you reply, i'd ask you to think about it, don't be a dick in what you say and post something about the gig and not x-factor or some other crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

lol at the fanboys, gotta love kids these days.

lordgoat wrote: »
    You liked the gig he didn't. Get off you're little fan boi horse and realise that the set he played yesterday wasn't to everyone's taste. This b-ollocks of not getting it makes you sound pretty ridiculous to be honest.

Now before you reply, i'd ask you to think about it, don't be a dick in what you say and post something about the gig and not x-factor or some other crap.

eh i aint no fan boy - whatever that may be!
    It was quite clear the set aphex came out with was considerably better than anything heard that weekend at the given festival, the poster clearly has no idea of music,
    Theres only one person on a horse here - you on your high horse of being a moderator here! Clearly you too liste to shoite!!
    There were many x factor heads aka as the working mans club crew at that festival

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Feckin raging I couldn't make it to this, sounds like Aphex Twin was not to be missed! It really is a sin I've never seen him live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Went on Saturday I wont go on about the problems because its been done to death at this stage.

Beardyman stole the show was up the front and my ears are still not right. Flaming lips put on a good show.
    Jape sound was shocking.
    The Phoenix Foundation very good.
    Great craic despite the few problems, would go again next year if it is on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

eh i aint no fan boy

Your username is Polygon Window! :pac:

It was quite clear the set aphex came out with was considerably better than anything heard that weekend at the given festival, the poster clearly has no idea of music,

That wasn't clear at all. I loved the set, so did you, but you can't see why someone wouldn't enjoy an hour and a half of mostly unrecognisable acid, jungle, drum and bass and whatever else? You need to open up to other tastes a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

Great weekend. Got a naggin confiscated on Saturday but completely forgot about it once I went into Beardyman. Deadly. Really enjoyed Yo La Tengo too, the last jam was amazing. It was nice to see a great band just play with no fukking frills. Hadn't seen Flaming Lips before, so that went down well too.

I saw Caribou, Solar Bears, Jamie xx, Not Squares, Dan le Sac and AFX yesterday. Thought it was funny how some people were complaining about Jamie's set, it was what he always does, and was great if you're a House/Garage/Electro fan. Did people expect a full backing band or something? Loved it. He walked past me on Aungier Street this morning but I didn't realise til he had passed...

Then Aphex Twin. My God. Was right up the front, went in as a fairweather fan at best, completely blown away. I think you've just got to let those waves blast you good and loud. Amazing set.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

It was quite clear the set aphex came out with was considerably better than anything heard that weekend at the given festival.

Yo La Tengo were better for me.

Just because people have different taste to you doesn't mean they don't know anything about music or watch the X-factor.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

eh i aint no fan boy - whatever that may be!
    Theres only one person on a horse here - you on your high horse of being a moderator here! Clearly you too liste to shoite!!
    There were many x factor heads aka as the working mans club crew at that festival

If your next post is as abusive as this, i will get on my moderating horse. So again, before you reply have a think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

If your next post is as abusive as this, i will get on my moderating horse. So again, before you reply have a think about it.

personally I thought your post was more abusive than his.

...and you're a moderator.

oh and b-ollocks wasn't abusive then! Clown!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

AT was deadly.And I quite enjoyed Caribou and Battles too.
    I had been looking forward to this for some time and wasn't disappointed :D

It was great when the sun came out.
    Never waited more than 5 minutes for beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Went Saturday, as already mentioned queues were massive for the bar but looks like they sorted that on Sunday.

Atmosphere was good, and there was enough picnic tables to make them a viable option to sit at the top of the hill and watch the main stage in comfort drinking in the afternoon sun, which is something i've never had before at a crowded festival.

I'd go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

iv seen afx a few times now and that was by far the most enjoyable set iv experienced. it flowed together really well and he played stuff from many parts of his back catologue from his early ambient works to druqks as well as some class autchre and jungle. anyone complaining about it sounding weird should be thankful it wasnt a complete noise set! :) i feel very lucky i got to witness this visual and sonic experience after being left a bit confused in the past by him. such a great performance... no-one in the world can really deliver a set like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

Aphex Twin was excellent! So were The Flaming Lips and some stuff from the Richter Collective stage on Sunday.

For the record, they didn't get it right on Sunday either. Beer ran out just before Aphex Twin. Couldn't get one for the rest of the night. Also did anyone get pizza from Pizza Time? Worst pizza ever for €6. I took a bite then gave it back. For these reasons I wouldn't go again next year.

Advertisement