Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forbidden Fruit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Agree with smokedeels. Don't understand why you'd want to watch somebody play a record. I'm off to watch x-factor.

You haven't a notion mate, if you had any clue about Aphex Twin or his music you would know he played a live set, hardcore fans could only identify about 3 tracks from his back catalogue in the entire hour and a half set.

I can understand someone not being a fan, but saying all he does is play records is utter bullsh1t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

zipzoc wrote: »
    Aphex Twin was excellent! So were The Flaming Lips and some stuff from the Richter Collective stage on Sunday.

For the record, they didn't get it right on Sunday either. Beer ran out just before Aphex Twin. Couldn't get one for the rest of the night. Also did anyone get pizza from Pizza Time? Worst pizza ever for €6. I took a bite then gave it back. For these reasons I wouldn't go again next year.

So you wouldn't go back because for the last hour and a half there was no beer and one place served you a bad pizza?

That's a bit harsh isn't it?

There was loads of great food stalls. As mentioned several times on this thread Pieminister were delicious. And while it would be annoying that you couldn't get a beer at the very end would you really let it stop you going again? There was probably plenty of *ugh* cider on sale still.

It took me a while to get into the Aphex Twin set but he did win me over and I enjoyed it. I had heard he had been playing some 'greatest hits' sets lately but wasn't really expecting to hear Windowlicker et al so didn't expect anything and wasn't disappointed.

Best acts on Sunday for me: Caribou, Bats and Aphex Twin.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Highlights for me:
    Yo La Tengo
    Aphex Twin
    Ham Sandwich
    Caribou
    Enemies

Boring [EMAIL="Cr@p"]Cr@p[/EMAIL]:
    Flaming Lips
    The Cast of Cheers
    Bats

Enjoyed the festival overall, some issues with the sound and beer supply but forgiveable.

daveyeh wrote: »
    The Cast of Cheers

Why did you leave Aphex Twin to go see a band that you already know you don't like?

Why did you leave Aphex Twin to go see a band that you already know you don't like?

I was drunk and have a short attention spa... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭oo7tk

I got 6 cans half way through Apex Twin so i dont know where you were going..... I went to where they were selling the Berry Cider....

oo7tk wrote: »
    I got 6 cans half way through Apex Twin so i dont know where you were going..... I went to where they were selling the Berry Cider....

Berry cider is not beer. :mad:

Nit-picker!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭condor26

I went on Sunday only, was a nice surprise to see the sun come out halfway through caribou!

I must say, I loved the site, maybe the undergrowth tent was too close to the main stage. I also don't mind drinking cider so the bars werent an issue for me.

I thought the crowd was excellent too, plenty of nice peeps buzzing around.
    Highlights for me were Kormac and Dan le Sac, both were alot of fun. Caribou got better as they went on, I headed into the dj set in the button factory afterwards too which was fantastic.

I'm a bit of a fan of Aphex twin, but the set wasn't for me to be honest, I was maybe too far back, I found it hard to get into. I can appreciate alot of fans would have enjoyed it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭oo7tk

The Berry beer sold out at about 8pm, they were sellin CIDER as in Apples.... Amazing what ya find when ya look....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Ha, you'd swear Forbidden Fruit was an alcohol festival with a few bands playing for entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

smokedeels wrote: »
    Ha, you'd swear Forbidden Fruit was an alcohol festival with a few bands playing for entertainment.

Ha! Ya thats what everyone thought alright...:pac:

At 50 quid for a 1 day ticket, they should be getting the set up right, not so far wrong as they did. It was money down the drain as far as I was concerned, and was even worse that you could'nt leave and come back in.

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    It was money down the drain as far as I was concerned, and was even worse that you could'nt leave and come back in.

If you had a weekend pass you could leave and come back in as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

At 50 quid for a 1 day ticket, they should be getting the set up right, not so far wrong as they did. It was money down the drain as far as I was concerned

You knew the line-up going in, no bands pulled out, you got what you paid for.
    even worse that you could'nt leave and come back in.

People live around there, I'm sure the locals pushed for this or were in mind... imagine hundreds of people hanging around outside shouting and drinking... it wouldn't have done the promoters any favours if they want to stage the festival again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

If you had a weekend pass you could leave and come back in as far as I know.

Not on Saturday. They announced on Facebook that after some feedback they decided to let people with wristbands come and go as they please, and as they should be allowed at any festival. Strange rule to have had in the first place.

If you had a weekend pass you could leave and come back in.

Unfortunately not, it was more a spur of the moment "Its a nice day, I'll go along to this" kind of thing.

It reminded us all of Slane 2 years ago, and left after a short while, waste of time even talking to the ticket people(probably not their fault as they are under strict instructions i would imagine), even though it was obvious that the numbers leaving and not coming back where increasing and constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

condor26 wrote: »

I'm a bit of a fan of Aphex twin, but the set wasn't for me to be honest, I was maybe too far back, I found it hard to get into. I can appreciate alot of fans would have enjoyed it though.

This. I think I was standing too far back as well. I loved the more acidy bits and when he dropped the jungle stuff it was really good but in general I was a little bit disappointed. Amazing how we was able to blend all those different styles but I just was not blown away. Probably should have tried barging my way forward a bit.

Thought Wild Beasts were brilliant on Saturday and Battles were my Sunday highlight. Was right up the front for both. The new Battles album is cracking and the songs sounded great live. Stanier is a beast.

Caribou was great as well but it did not compare to the gig in Button Factory a few months back.

I would be more concerned that they sort out the sound and layout problems for next year than the booze ones. They should get rid of that Draw with Don stage down the back which I never saw more than 10 people at all weekend and move the Undergrowth tent down there. They were obviously limiting the volume in that tent over the weekend to avoid a bleed on to the main stage and it was really lacking at times. I went to the first 25 minutes of Jamie XX and it could really have done with a bit more volume to get the tent rocking.

smokedeels wrote: »
    You knew the line-up going in, no bands pulled out, you got what you paid for.

People live around there, I'm sure the locals pushed for this or were in mind... imagine hundreds of people hanging around outside shouting and drinking... it wouldn't have done the promoters any favours if they want to stage the festival again.

I didnt have a clue of the line up, but I had heard it was strong enough, and was really looking forward to seeing bands I hadnt even seen before.

I got what I paid for? A small gig with an hour long cue for a beer? Sale of the century there. Whats next..buy a car with no doors?

Why dont they organise festivals/concerts with no beer alltogether?

I don't see the point in sticking up for the sham organisation tbh, it was very poor and that is that. Slane seemed to learn from 2 years ago, I hope this festival does for next year, but condoning it is pointless.

And also, they changed the not allowing people back in rule after a few hours, suppose just so many people were getting annoyed.

Not on Saturday. They announced on Facebook that after some feedback they decided to let people with wristbands come and go as they please, and as they should be allowed at any festival. Strange rule to have had in the first place.

Toast dropped out for a pint and returned on the Saturday. I think they changed their mind halfway through the day.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72589395&postcount=156

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

I enjoyed spending a day out in the sun with my girlfriend on Sat.

Sunday was more fun, highlight for me was No Squares. I was to far back for Aphex Twin and couldn't concentrate on it and left early.

All in all it was grand, decent value.

On the dude that said he wouldn't go again because he had a bad pizza! haha, I had a curry from wok n roll, it was bloody gorgeous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

went Sunday witha few mates.had a great time.plenty of nice people and never noticed any scummers.
    had no problem getting a beer,5 minute que at most.

the sound from the main stage could have being a bit louder.

the only thing i could complain about was i noticed some of the toilet areas there was no proper que and a free for all getting in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Toast dropped out for a pint and returned on the Saturday. I think they changed their mind halfway through the day.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72589395&postcount=156

Yup that was just after Wild Beasts. Was a good few doing it at that point too. We asked to make sure and they had no issue with it. Friends with day tickets had no such luck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭aas

Frankly I'm glad there were beer queues, I snuck drink in so it didn't affect me one bit and it means there won't be any louts there next year that care more about getting ****faced than enjoying some music. And it's well known that Aphex Twin is only enjoyed by drug-addled trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

aas wrote: »
    ...it's well known that Aphex Twin is only enjoyed by drug-addled trash.

Haha! I was right up the front for it and was asked by about 5 people if I had anything to spare. But I didn't because I was giving it loads.

And I'll have you know I ain't no trash :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Frankly I'm glad there were beer queues, I snuck drink in so it didn't affect me one bit and it means there won't be any louts there next year that care more about getting ****faced than enjoying some music. And it's well known that Aphex Twin is only enjoyed by drug-addled trash.
    Why would people pay €50 for a ticket and then just want to booze their brains out and use the left hand side of the stage as a public urinal was beyond me, they should have just got a 6 pack and sat in a public park.
    Thought aphex twin was excellent, just a pity it was bright when he started. Battles were really poor,Surprised to see polycon window getting a ban when what is above is a lot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

And it's well known that Aphex Twin is only enjoyed by drug-addled trash.

What a ridiculous statement. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

POD should known the maths with regard to staff numbers and custoimer demand. For €100 people are entitled to drink all the beer they want, and this wasn't the case on Saturday. People with complaints are therefore justified.

I thought the festival was good, a wide range of music on show. Personally I loved le sac vs Pip and The Flaming Lips. As it happens my tickets were comps, so I'm certainly not complaining too much ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MeetReality

Such an amazing weekend for such good value and was a great atmosphere and just the random bumping into people you know made the weekend!

Highlights on Saturday were Beardyman and Aeroplane, but Caribou stole the weekend (the sun just bursting out just Sun was amazing)

Liked being able to just sit at the top of the hill and enjoy Aphex's set also!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

people are taking the queuing for drink thing to seriously. I was there on Saturday and there was no problem getting drinks for the most part. I made four or five trips to the bar and only had to wait for a long time once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

Had so much fun at this, especially Aphex Twin & Caribou...my only issue with the whole fest was that you couldn't leave and come back in - normally you should be able to come and go as you wish. Will definitely be going back next year though!! Thought the food was great there as well and didn't get too bothered by the queues.

Advertisement