Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge moisture / condensation

• 22-02-2011 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I have a small half size Candy fridge. It's always soaking with water dripping down onto the top shelf and onto food. Vegetables kept in the veg box at the bottom are always wet and the plastic that they might be in is the same (I do open it to allow them to breathe).

There is a drain hole just behind the vegetable box and this is clear. I can put a thin screwdriver down it and see it coming through out the back. The drain hole just leads to an open black tray that always seems dry.

So can I fix this issue? Can I get the dam fridge dry? All this moisture is driving me crazy.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Sounds like you have a bad seal on the door of the fridge or the door doesn't close properly.

What's most likely causing it is the temperature in the freezerbox at the top is too high and the ice is melting and dripping down. The freezer continues to freeze and make more ice and it melts............ you get the idea.

That's my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Sounds like you have a bad seal on the door of the fridge or the door doesn't close properly.

What's most likely causing it is the temperature in the freezerbox at the top is too high and the ice is melting and dripping down. The freezer continues to freeze and make more ice and it melts............ you get the idea.

That's my opinion anyway.

Thanks Fingers,

Ive gone all round the seal (fairly new fridge) and can't find can't defects, dents or creases. I'm wondering if I gave it a spray with silicon sealing spray?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Try to adjust the tilt, at the footings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Don't put on silicon sealer, it'll taint everything with the smell of acetic acid as it cures.
    If the fridge is enclosed is there enough of a ventilation gap all around and behind to allow heat escape?

heinbloed wrote: »
    Try to adjust the tilt, at the footings.

Do you mean tilt it back in towards the top? why? is it just to aid door closing?
    slimjimmc wrote: »
    Don't put on silicon sealer, it'll taint everything with the smell of acetic acid as it cures.
    If the fridge is enclosed is there enough of a ventilation gap all around and behind to allow heat escape?

ok, wont do the silicon thing. The fridge is just against one wall with its sides and front in the open. I have it a couple of inches out from the wall.

I should say, it is in my living room and stands on a carpeted floor. This is because my kitchen is a galley type and has no space for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

The slight tilting backwards would allow the condensation droplets run to the backside where they'll leave the fridge and evaporate in the dish above the compressor.
    For a free flow of droplets a tilt of 1-2% is necessary, use a spirit level.
    Usually the fridge should run the droplets out if it is standing straight, again: use a spirit level.
    With carpet underneath, however, different sink-in rates of the footing can be expected.
    So check if the fridge is standing straight and then, if still necessary, give it a slight tilt. Just 1%-2%.
    Make sure there is enough ventilation, thick carpets would be contra productive.

Yea, I'm thinking I might either put it on a flat board or buy a half height freezer unit and stand it on that.

Advertisement