Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two insurance policies.. one car.. possible ?

• 22-02-2011 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

starting out driving, male, 23, only learner's permit at the moment ....

hav access to a car which is insured to a 23 female, fully comp with 4 years no claims ....

her insurance isnt up until May...

for me to go on her policy now, it would be deemed a new one or something like that, so she would essentially lose this years no claims then ....

the quote was also around the 950 mark, where if we wait until may it'll be around 200 less ...

what I'm looking to know is,
    is it possible for me to get insured for say the 3 months on my own but on the same car ?

I've heard it may be possible but only 3rd party fire and theft or something like that ....

if not, do I have to get a car and throw out the brunt of 2500 on first time insurance ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

An additional named driver can be added at anytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭axiom

woops ...

sorry, just got some clarification ...

it's the insurer who won't add me as a named driver because of my age and experience (Zurich won't add under 25 males as an additional named driver, also they won't add names until she has 5 years no claims) ....
    I think that's how she'd lose out on her years no claims because she'd have to take out a new policy with a different insurer...

re: the 2500 , I was quoted just over 2000 by Aviva on my own for a 1.1L, but you get a discount if you do those lesson things... plus I'd have to get a car :pac:

anyways,

so would it be possible for me to get a 3 month policy on the car under my name for when I'm driving, which is also insured under my friends name and just swap around the discs or somethin when either of us is driving ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

axiom wrote: »
    ...so would it be possible for me to get a 3 month policy on the car under my name for when I'm driving, which is also insured under my friends name and just swap around the discs or somethin when either of us is driving ?

No.

The only option is to cancel the existing cover and take out a new policy elsewhere, with you as named driver.

Explain the position (the owner should explain the position actually) to the insurers beforehand, and no loss of ncb should ensue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,468 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

She will lose NCB I think from start of current policy. It would be pretty unwise to go changing at this point IMO

Advertisement