Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did this happen?

Options
  • 22-02-2011 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hey i have a dell dimension 4600 with pentium 4 cpu at 2.66ghz. The other day i purchased a p4 3.0 ghz to upgrade to from ebay. after recieving the new cpu i installed in my pc to discover that it no longer boots up. i was onto dell and they said the mobo is dead. My question is how did it happen? I had already grounded myself before opening the pc and the dell website said my mobo supports the 3.0 ghz. So is it just a coincidence that this happened? Or did i make a mistake when installing the cpu..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Does it still work with the old chip?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

First off, I hope you didn't tell Dell that you were upgrading the CPU, because they will start waving the 'out of warranty' flag at you, assuming its still under warranty of course.

When you say its not 'booting up' will the PC display anything on the screen? Are you getting past post? Any luck getting into the BIOS?

You could do worse than take the battery out of the mobo, forcing a reset. If you get manage to get into the BIOS. Try using the old cpu first before installing the new one.

If you can get back up and running using the old cpu...

See if their is a newer version of your BIOS available on the Dell website, if you have an old BIOS the cpu may not be supported, flashing the BIOS might resolve this problem.

Dellytubbie cases are ATX, so if you have to buy an off the shelf mobo it will certainly be cheaper than any of the Dell mobo's and you will be able to overclock :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

First off, I hope you didn't tell Dell that you were upgrading the CPU, because they will start waving the 'out of warranty' flag at you, assuming its still under warranty of course.

When you say its not 'booting up' will the PC display anything on the screen? Are you getting past post? Any luck getting into the BIOS?

You could do worse than take the battery out of the mobo, forcing a reset. If you get manage to get into the BIOS. Try using the old cpu first before installing the new one.

See if their is a newer version of your BIOS available on the Dell website, if you have an old BIOS the cpu may not be supported, flashing the BIOS might resolve this problem.

Dellytubbie cases are ATX, so if you have to buy an off the shelf mobo it will certainly be cheaper than any of the Dell mobo's and you will be able to overclock :D
    warranty left on a p4 system i dont think so lol

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

No ita not under warranty any more :P would you recommend a brand new mobo or just a replacement for the current..and also keep in mind that there may be a size issue as the case isnt the biggest..

Well Dell will rip you off for a replacement mobo. It will probably be cheapest to buy a brand new mobo off the internet or your other option might be worth checking out is picking up something second hand.

Have a look at adverts.ie or ebay

Either way i don't think you should spend more than 50 euro on a new mobo as its old tech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

hang on have u try,d the old cpu in it does it let it boot up ????

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

massy086 wrote: »
    hang on have u try,d the old cpu in it does it let it boot up ????

+1 see if the old one still works, maybe you got a dodge cpu off ebay or maybe it just needs a bios update to get it working

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

massy086 wrote: »
    warranty left on a p4 system i dont think so lol

He might have bought extended warranty, very extended! :D

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

He might have bought extended warranty, very extended! :D

-

Well Dell have been known to sell Poweredge "PCs" to poor souls for a little bit of word processing, what's wrong with a little extended warranty! :D

Ok well the mobo wont work with the old cpu either and im gonna order a replacement from ebay theyre going for about €20-40. Should I risk using the 3.0ghz cpu in it because the seller i bought it from was pretty legit so dont think they meant to sell it faulty..maybe it was just the board..

• Advertisement

When you get your replacement mobo I would go ahead and install the new 3.0Ghz CPU in it. I've never come across an incident where installation of a CPU killed a mobo (Assuming CPU is installed correctly).

When you get your replacement mobo I would go ahead and install the new 3.0Ghz CPU in it. I've never come across an incident where installation of a CPU killed a mobo (Assuming CPU is installed correctly).

Ok thnx for the advice! will post back what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

theres always a first time Mwahahahahahaha!

got a new mobo. new problem...blank screen and orange d diagnostic light...tried using minimum parts and now have orange a and d lights.. b and c are green.. also 2 short beeps from bios when i turn it on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

sorry about the size

also have a look at this page for your pc
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/adtshoot.htm

Dell%20Diagnostic%20Reference%20Chart(large).jpg

Advertisement