Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live Perch anyone?

• 22-02-2011 4:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

Bizaare question i know but i'm looking for a few live perch for a fish tank..if anybody can catch me a couple i'll pick them up within Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

A friend of mind had 3 in a tank before, they were all about 2 inches long. They got very skinny but lived only for a few months. Fed on chopped worms.
    Don't think they do to well in a tank but I think it's worth a go.
    Put plenty of structure under the water for them to hide in.
    He also had very small common and mirror carp and a Tench which all had to be released as they got too big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ger-h

Aw cool man, what size tank ya have?
    I was dying to do the same thing myself last year but i ended up, don't think i knew enuff on how to keep them!
    is it iilegal or anything to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Johnny Favourite

I did the same thing last year in a pretty large tank. At one stage I had 3 perch, 3 roach, 2 bream an eel and a common carp.

The carp is the hardiest, the rest are difficult to keep alive for long periods.

I caught them all myself.

My real ambition was to have a tiny pike but I couldn't catch one small enough.

just buy a kiddies rod and use some maggots and you'll catch them easily enough.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Fresh water fish dont adapt particularly well to being kept in a tank due to the lack of insect life & personally I think you're giving them a death sentence, so please think very carefully.

Carp will live longer - goldfish are members of the carp family & tench will also survive, although they get too big quite quickly & are more suited to a garden pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

i have 11 rudd i feed them bread and thare all 2" long i keep them in a barrel out my back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

its illegal to remove live freshwater fish and then place them in ponds, please read regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

My real ambition was to have a tiny pike but I couldn't catch one small enough.

uu I'm not alone ;P

what is prety big in centimetres? ;)
    as i was thinking like 100x70x60cm as absolut must for 5 fish of max 20cm each (hate to see golden fish in tiny tanks).
    btw if it comes to catching small pike i would recommend small (2-4cm) grubs/shads in canal (got plenty of 15-20cm ones while being after perch)

Ps what is the deal about other fish that they don't like tanks? i mean perch is from carp family too AFAIR.
    is this just lack of oxygene/natural food or disturbing environment which causes great stress?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

i had perch, carp, tench, roach and rudd in a pond before.
    the tench and the carp were fine. large pond so they didnt get too big for it either.
    the roach died quickly enough, kept getting infections.
    perch lasted longer and ate some of the small goldfish. not sure what happened to the rudd really.

I'm not trying to be contentious here lads, but I was always from the school of Angling = Conservation of stocks rather than depletion.

Any fish removed from its habitat and placed into a pond or tank will suffer stress & that applies to shop bough goldfish, let alone taking something from a pond.

In the UK you can buy tank bred tench & carp, but not sure about Ireland - I'd try some of the larger aquatic centres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

Andip wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be contentious here lads, but I was always from the school of Angling = Conservation of stocks rather than depletion.

Any fish removed from its habitat and placed into a pond or tank will suffer stress & that applies to shop bough goldfish, let alone taking something from a pond.

In the UK you can buy tank bred tench & carp, but not sure about Ireland - I'd try some of the larger aquatic centres

I can clearly see your point but:
    Are tank bred fish somehow stress proof? i guess every animal out of its habitat will suffer do we like it or no. ps I found info (USA studies somewhere on net) that most of released fish in summer months will die from stress/lack of oxygene in water (for this reason in germany you have to kill every proper size fish AFAIK) so every angler is unintentionally killing quite a big number of fish every year (you see them swim away doesn't mean that they wouldn't die day after). So taking 1-3 little fish (which on the top of it are quite likely to end up as pikes dinner) to the propper tank (i was thinking at least couple of hundred litres with proper water treatment system etc) shouldn't do too much harm. But I'm not quite sure would it be legal anyway.

• Advertisement

MarcinG wrote: »
    I can clearly see your point but:
    Are tank bred fish somehow stress proof? i guess every animal out of its habitat will suffer do we like it or no. ps I found info (USA studies somewhere on net) that most of released fish in summer months will die from stress/lack of oxygene in water (for this reason in germany you have to kill every proper size fish AFAIK) so every angler is unintentionally killing quite a big number of fish every year (you see them swim away doesn't mean that they wouldn't die day after). So taking 1-3 little fish (which on the top of it are quite likely to end up as pikes dinner) to the propper tank (i was thinking at least couple of hundred litres with proper water treatment system etc) shouldn't do too much harm. But I'm not quite sure would it be legal anyway.

There are legal restrictions.

Its not just the size of tank that causes problems, its the complete change of habitat - I've always believed that a fish bred in the wild is adapted to the wild environment. Likewise a tank bred fish is also adapted into its own environment. You will find that most aquatic centres that sell goldfish will put a splash of 'anti stress' liquid into the bag when they are sold - any change is stressful. The most stressful time for a human is moving home apparently, so think of poor mr fishy.

There's a study on the net somewhere that states a much higher mortality rate for fish that are kept in outdoor stocking pools in aquatic centres & are then places in tanks, as opposed to those kept in tanks & transferred to another tank.

Many goldfish die when they are brought home - I accept that, but I personally (and it is a personal opinion) dont believe that taking a fish, or any creature, away from its bred environment is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

Many people use minnow or brickeen to fish for trout on Corrib during early season. They catch them with a minnow trap which can be home made. They survive well in captivity and are nice to watch.
    It is prohibited to use or attempt to use live fish as bait when fishing, It is illegal to transfer live roach from one water to any other waters (Transfer of Live Roach, Bye-Law No. 561, 1973) otherwise the law is quite grey I think.

Advertisement