Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky+ HD Signal Inputs

• 22-02-2011 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

can someone explain this to me... we've been having problems with the signal on Sky Atlantic (pixellation, stuttering etc) and to a lesser extent on Sky 1 HD. Don't have any issues with other channels. Don't have a DECT phone or wireless broadband in that room. We have normal sky + box in the room with DECT and wireless BB which has no issues!

I was onto Sky earlier and whilst on the mobile phone the signal pretty much dies completely on Sky Atlantic. The signal bars drop to 0% when I'm on the phone. Funny thing is earlier it was input 1 that would drop completely and I just looked again and when I use the phone signal input 2 drops completely! Nothing being recorded either time. Anyone any ideas why this happens before I drop €100 to sky.
    cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Hi guys,

can someone explain this to me... we've been having problems with the signal on Sky Atlantic (pixellation, stuttering etc) and to a lesser extent on Sky 1 HD. Don't have any issues with other channels. Don't have a DECT phone or wireless broadband in that room. We have normal sky + box in the room with DECT and wireless BB which has no issues!

I was onto Sky earlier and whilst on the mobile phone the signal pretty much dies completely on Sky Atlantic. The signal bars drop to 0% when I'm on the phone. Funny thing is earlier it was input 1 that would drop completely and I just looked again and when I use the phone signal input 2 drops completely! Nothing being recorded either time. Anyone any ideas why this happens before I drop €100 to sky.
    cheers

It sounds like poor quality Non shielded coaxial cable was used.
    Dont drop €100 to Sky call an Independant installer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

scaller wrote: »
    It sounds like poor quality Non shielded coaxial cable was used.
    Dont drop €100 to Sky call an Independant installer.

It was an independent retailer that installed that HD box! Ive always tried to use them ahead of Sky but can't get them on the phone so not sure if they are still in business. Also they joined up the sat cable with the existing UPC cable to come in at the TV point for one of the inputs. I guess this has an impact? And would the poor quality cable explain why only on Sky Atlantic and even with no mobiles in the room? Sorry for all the Qs. I like to educate myself about these things.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭John mac

Also they joined up the sat cable with the existing UPC cable to come in at the TV point for one of the inputs. I guess this has an impact? And would the poor quality cable explain why only on Sky Atlantic and even with no mobiles in the room? Sorry for all the Qs. I like to educate myself about these things.
    Thanks!

My bet is this is where the problem lies..

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭MartyM

Hi guys,

cheers

Having similar problem on my HD box, its only occuring on HD channels, such as Sky1 HD, Sky Living HD, Sky Atlantic HD, Sky Sports News HD and Sky News HD at the same time. You should check these channels also when you see the fault again. I get error code 25 in the top right of the loss of signal message.

Main difference, if I dont switch any cables, the same input always goes down on the Sky box.

Only seen the problem at night and the last couple of nights have been better. In fact I'm still waiting for it to happen today!

I have an Amstrad 1TB box. Having read some tips on this site:

http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/sky_tv_guide.htm

I found this section quite interesting:
    http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/sky_tv_guide.htm#Troubleshooting_Sky_Minidish_LNB_Faults

And the fact that the HD box is the newest cog in the wheel I'm going with the view that its the box. As its only 2-3 weeks old and Sky said the installer should call for free...for up to 90 days or so after purchase!?

Cables and LNBs could also be the problem. After all, I was never gonna experience this problem on my old Sky+ box and maybe the HD box is showing up weaknesses in my set-up! Checking that is a pain in the ***, and will only be done as a last resort.

Also they joined up the sat cable with the existing UPC cable to come in at the TV point for one of the inputs. I guess this has an impact? And would the poor quality cable explain why only on Sky Atlantic and even with no mobiles in the room?

I know nothing about cables but this thread states UPC use triple screened RG6? While maybe not the best it should be fine if not damaged.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055748279

You said both LNB inputs go down on the Sky box, so not only the UPC cable is having problems??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

MartyM wrote: »
    I know nothing about cables but this thread states UPC use triple screened RG6? While maybe not the best it should be fine if not damaged.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055748279

You said both LNB inputs go down on the Sky box, so not only the UPC cable is having problems??

Checked in the attic. Both inputs are spliced to another cable. I guess this must be the issue as I checked out box in other room with direct feed and sky Atlantic was fine. Dis- and reconnected the connections so will see if that makes a difference.

Posted this Q on sky help forums and a dood who seemed to know what he was talking about came back with this explanation of why we notice it more on Sky Atlantic

"You could have any one or more of: sporadic external interference from outside the house, DECT or mobile phone operating at, or near, the downconverted frequencies from the LNB to the box ( both operate within the 950 - 2150MHz used in Sky boxes ), poorly or unscreened coax cable connected to the Dish Inputs from the dish, loose F-connectors at the box or dish ends, misaligned dish, or an LNB fault.
    Weaker signals are more likely to be affected by screening problems - Sky Atlantic, in particular, is beamed from Eurobird 1 @ 22.5E, and good dish alignment is required to maximise signal reception. I would probably be looking at the quality of your existing cable as a start."

Checked in the attic. Both inputs are spliced to another cable. I guess this must be the issue as I checked out box in other room with direct feed and sky Atlantic was fine. Dis- and reconnected the connections so will see if that makes a difference.

Posted this Q on sky help forums and a dood who seemed to know what he was talking about came back with this explanation of why we notice it more on Sky Atlantic

"You could have any one or more of: sporadic external interference from outside the house, DECT or mobile phone operating at, or near, the downconverted frequencies from the LNB to the box ( both operate within the 950 - 2150MHz used in Sky boxes ), poorly or unscreened coax cable connected to the Dish Inputs from the dish, loose F-connectors at the box or dish ends, misaligned dish, or an LNB fault.
    Weaker signals are more likely to be affected by screening problems - Sky Atlantic, in particular, is beamed from Eurobird 1 @ 22.5E, and good dish alignment is required to maximise signal reception. I would probably be looking at the quality of your existing cable as a start."

I dont stand a chance then, my LNB cables are terminated 3 times before finally going into the Sky box.

Interesting about Sky Atlantic, didn't realise Sky used Eurobird but see it now from the following link:

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skyuk.html

Do ya know when you check signal strength and quality if the sky box is only using the default transponder or using the frequency settings of the actual channel your watching at the time?

I always thought it was the default but the behaviour I've seen over the last few days makes me think otherwise.

If it does use default, does anyone know how to change the default transponder so that it uses a Eurobird TP? (If that makes sense?)

Would be curious to see signal strength and quality from it for the likes of Sky Atlantic.

Advertisement