Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus 6850 v2, can it run on 1 6 pin?

Options
  • 22-02-2011 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Title says it all really, would be great if somebody who actually has this card and tried it would reply :), holding off getting it till i get a reply

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LPHeadstrong

Old thread, I know. But did you try it? I'm in the same position you were (as of 4 months ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

depends.

i am lookingto upgrade my gpu, i did alot of reading in last few days. so here it goes:

6850 first gens were using only 1 6 pin connector, the 6870 use/use 2 pin connectors. if you get new 6850 then you will need 2 6 pins aswell.

i got only 1 6 pin connector, but you can make second connector from 2 molex connectors. ussually cable is supplied with gpu. if you dont have 2xmolex then you can make them out of SATAs.

i just came back from cork and got 2x SATA to molex connectors in maplins. 6eu each. So i am reagy for my gpu to come on friday!

hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭GarethBah

Hi, im using 1 6 pin coming from the psu, then i am using a molex to 6 pin and everything is working fine not had any problems yet

Awesome. Thanks.
    I've 2 6-pins on the PSU but wanted to crossfire down the line.
    I heard of 6850's (V2) working off one lead.
    I don't see why it wouldn't work same way in crossfire but would it be cutting it close? Staying at stock (Asus stock anyway).

Good luck with the new GPU anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

My asus 6850 only needs one.

• Advertisement

Most pre-2011 models (V1) have one 6-pin. New model (V2) added a second to make overclocking better I think!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

OCing a 90W-part to need over 150W of juice to remain stable is a bit of a jump in terms of heat... make sure cooling is sufficient!

And AFAIK a HD6850 on a modern mobo can draw up to 225W with just one PEG connector anyway, as all modern mobos are PCIe 2.0-compliant. The standard doubles the power supply capacity of the interface from 75W to 150W. Heck, there are a few small-size HD6850 variants out there that have no PEG connectors and rely entirely on the power supplied via PCIe slot anyway!

Advertisement