Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not working notice period?

Options
  • 22-02-2011 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I've been employed full time with a company for 10months. I signed my contract stating my 4 week notice period and all the terms and conditions of employment. Recently I handed in my notice and I am due to finish mid march.

Since the start of my employment I've had some problems with bullying, I was advised to "toughen up". Problems along these lines have always been prevalent. I eventually got myself another job, and wrote and handed in my notice.

Since doing so a certain manager has made my life very difficult. Implying that I am wasting time in work (If anything I've been working harder as we have been busier). Today this person had a go at me regarding a customer which included cursing at me.

I'm painfully unhappy in this job but from previous people leaving I know they won't waive the notice period. I intend to make an official compliant as i don't feel
    Comfortable with the situation as it is and I'm spending every second outside of work dreading going back in.

Do you think this is grounds for requesting my notice period being terminated? Or should
    I go to the doctor and get signed off for stress leave?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Anna23

1 months notice, I'd just forget about it and leave, unless you think you might get a reference from them, and from what you said, I doubt you would even ask for one. Also money wise, if you need the money stay if you don't you know the answer.
    And I don't think that they would get an injunction to stop you leave, unless your job is a high profile one, and even with that it rarely happens.
    If I'd be in your position I'd walk without even looking back...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks Anna.

No I won't be looking for a reference from them at all. Do you know if they can with hold my wages for the last month?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

For the last month you're not going to work, or the month before that?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

For the month I have already worked, like money earned until now. I don't want or expect anything for the notice I "wouldve" worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd expect so, but I'd be prepared for them to be awkward about it given that you'll be in breach of contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I would advise following the company's complaint procedure.
    Make a formal complaint of bullying against the manager in question, citing his treatment of you as your reason for leaving (If this is the case).

He will probably back off for the remaining weeks and it will also probably ensure that the company treats you with kid gloves (and pays you promptly) in case you bring a case against them as it is their responsibility to provide you with a safe workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

JcJunior wrote: »
    Thanks Anna.

No I won't be looking for a reference from them at all. Do you know if they can with hold my wages for the last month?

how do they have your wages from last month? do you not get paid at the end of the month just worked?

Advertisement