Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newly Qualified accountant - Salary

• 22-02-2011 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi all!!

I'm a newly qualified accountant and I wanted to find out what kind of salary I should be expecting to get from my employer since becoming qualified.

I'm working in practice (small - 2 partners) for nearly 4 years, ACCA qualified, IATI qualified, in the meath area.

Thanks!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,294 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

its all relative i suppose, i know a few people in your situation who havent got much a pay increase (small pratice and outside of dublin)

for reference, i think aca qualified accountants once qualified in one of the big 4 would be on circa €45k give or take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Trophywife

I'm only on 23k at the minute. They had been paying my tuition fees and exam fees and I used to get 4 weeks study leave per year. I'm not getting that anymore so surely they should be paying me more instead. Want to know what to be asking for before I go asking, if you know what I mean.

There's another girl working with me who qualified 6 months before me. She's on 2 k more than me because she was a year ahead of me but I caught up with her as she failed one sitting. She's qualified now and is on 25k, although better than me, its still bad. She wont ask for more money cos she doesn't like confrontation and is always complaining to me about how bad she's paid but still won't speak up. I think she wants me to go asking for a review and they'll review her too by default. But she wont open her mouth and stick up for herself and this makes me look like the bad guy then!! So frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭count66

Trophywife wrote: »
    I'm only on 23k at the minute. They had been paying my tuition fees and exam fees and I used to get 4 weeks study leave per year. I'm not getting that anymore so surely they should be paying me more instead. Want to know what to be asking for before I go asking, if you know what I mean.

There's another girl working with me who qualified 6 months before me. She's on 2 k more than me because she was a year ahead of me but I caught up with her as she failed one sitting. She's qualified now and is on 25k, although better than me, its still bad. She wont ask for more money cos she doesn't like confrontation and is always complaining to me about how bad she's paid but still won't speak up. I think she wants me to go asking for a review and they'll review her too by default. But she wont open her mouth and stick up for herself and this makes me look like the bad guy then!! So frustrating.

That's ridiculous money to be on if you're qualified - however, I want to ask are you just exam qualified or have you actually got your letters as well? Also use the Irishjobs.ie salary survey to compare what you should be on. However, I would advise if 2 or possible more of you are unhappy then you should approach management together - power in no's, workers united can never be defeated and all that stuff.

I definitely wouldn't go solo to management though - you will make youself a target. Alternatively you can always just bide your time and seek alternative employment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

23k really is terrible for a qualified accountant. I'm partially qualified and on ~50% more than that.

I started in a finance role on more than that with minimal experience, your employer is really taking you for a ride tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 binhthanh

Cyrus wrote: »
    its all relative i suppose, i know a few people in your situation who havent got much a pay increase (small pratice and outside of dublin)

for reference, i think aca qualified accountants once qualified in one of the big 4 would be on circa €45k give or take

I have been working at one of the big4 in Dublin. 23.5k when joined, 9 months later got 29.5k, then dropped to 28k due to recession, then back to 32k when passed FAE in Sept 2009, then 39k last Sep. I will qualify ACA in May 2011 (due to 3.5 year experience) and will get around 43 - 45k at that time. However, I will stay with the firm for another 6 months as I will be going home for good.

I will also qualify ACCA in June 2011 (if I pass P3, hopefully :)) but my firm won't pay me more than others who only have ACA. No difference between having 1 and 2 qualifications :(.

For qualified and getting low pay, it may be better to get into big organisations to get higher pay. 23k seems a bit low.

I used to work as a trainee in a small practice in Dublin (5 partners and 15 staffs). Only got 17k at first and 2k increase a year after that. I was so disapointed and that why I moved to big4.

• Advertisement

I know I have to say something. They're taking total advantage. I'm going to try get a new job too because I'm not staying here to be treated like that the whole time. Its a joke. Gonna say something today, I don't think its unreasonable to ask for a rise after seeing what others are earning. I didnt do 6 years of studying for nothing after all. I had IATI done before I came here and started on 19k. So salary only increase 4k in 4 years and now Im qualified.

I applied for membership today to ACCA. I will get it as I have PER completed and Ethics Module done.

I'll let you all know how I get on in the quest for more money....

What will you do if they refuse ur request, stay or move? It's really hard to get a job at the moment.

I don't think ur er can give you significant increase. If I were you, I just keep silence and start to look for another better job while still working there. If can't get something else better, then have to remain with the firm and accept whatever they can give you.

Best of luck!

I know its hard to get a job now and I'll try my best. I just asked there and boss said he'd talk with other partner and arrange "something". So just have to wait n see now. I said it in a nice way, and I dont think they think im being greedy for asking. If I dont get more money its like taking a cut cos Im not gettin study leave or exams paid for anymore, so they have to compensate for that at least.

Just let us know whenever you got the answer from ur boss. Check the web to see the max and min salary for qualified in ur area. At that time u can make ur decision to stay or move.

By the way, it's hard to join in big 4 at the moment (as I see big4 let many qualifed go after they finished their contract), unless you join in the mgt level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Trophywife,

While sympathising with your case, I also feel the need to tell you that €45k is an unrealistic figure however I do feel though that you should ask for €35k with the hope of getting up to around €30k.

I myself am qualified with 18 months or so and currently I am taking home €35k. Recession is a hard time to work in.

• Advertisement

ssbob wrote: »
    Trophywife,

While sympathising with your case, I also feel the need to tell you that €45k is an unrealistic figure however I do feel though that you should ask for €35k with the hope of getting up to around €30k.

I myself am qualified with 18 months or so and currently I am taking home €35k. Recession is a hard time to work in.

I was goin to ask for around 30k and try get as close that that as I could. I know there's no chance of 45k!!!! They'd probably have a heart attack if I asked for that...lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I was goin to ask for around 30k and try get as close that that as I could. I know there's no chance of 45k!!!! They'd probably have a heart attack if I asked for that...lol

Trophywife...

Im part qualified, have three acca exams left.... hopefully ill be joining your club this year :D

My Salary is €34,000... plus college fees, plus VHI for hubby and me, plus pension, 25 days annual leave and yearly bonus... this year i got €3,000...

so i think you are far too under paid :eek:

cocker5 wrote: »
    Trophywife...

Im part qualified, have three acca exams left.... hopefully ill be joining your club this year :D

My Salary is €34,000... plus college fees, plus VHI for hubby and me, plus pension, 25 days annual leave and yearly bonus... this year i got €3,000...

Where do you work? Reckon they have a job for me??

Trophywife do you mind me asking where in the country you are?

Im in meath. Definately not able to take anyone on here if they can't pay existing staff properly. Whatever increase I can get now will do me till something better comes along.
    I'll be trying to get something else regardless of what increase they give cos there's no prospect promotion as its so small here.

Trophywife...

Your very lucky then!! I got 1k bonus at exmas which was a massive surprise. Do you get study leave too??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Your very lucky then!! I got 1k bonus at exmas which was a massive surprise. Do you get study leave too??

No... no study leave... i trying to get them to agree but no luck so far.. its a killer really as my hours are the best for study... im in the office at 8am everyday and leave after 7pm... so by the time i get home its after 8pm... so it really messes up my study.... :(

No... no study leave... i trying to get them to agree but no luck so far.. its a killer really as my hours are the best for study... im in the office at 8am everyday and leave after 7pm... so by the time i get home its after 8pm... so it really messes up my study.... :(

I used to just get the day of the exams plus 1 other day but just had to take my holidays around exam time and focus on the weekends, it's hard but it will pay off eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jannise

i used to get only 5 days off. If i was taking 3 exams, so it is only 2 days plus exam days. Nothing else. And i wasn't allowed to take holidays around that time, maybe 1 or 2 extra days, as the company couldn't afford to have me away for 2-3 weeks. That's the only awful thing, when you are working in a small company.
    I now now on 40k (industry). Got pay increase last year. Have just got results and applied for membership. Manager saying that i should get increase again. Fingers crossed.

Suppose thats the one good thing about working in practice then cos I got 5 days per subject off plus the day of the exam. Passed them all first time, and I definately wouldnt have if I didnt have that time off. I used to get away with not studying at all until my study leave. Will miss my 4 weeeks study leave now that I'm finished!! ha

When I worked in a small practice, I used to get 7 days study leave (can't really remember this, but at least 6 days for sure) plus one exam day for each paper.

Xmas bonus for the first years was €800 (I started at the end of July). Don't know how much bonus for the next Xmas as I had left by that time.

For big4, only seniors get Xmas bonus, €100 only :), but don't know why there was nothing last Xmas???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Really surprised it hasnt really been said but comparing to others is a bit futile for loads of reasons:

1. The part of the country your based in - obviously smaller practices and those outside Dublin will have lower incomes and therefore lower wages

2. Different charge out rates and related to this your value to the firm. How much do you actually contribute? You may be qualified but what responsibilities do you have?

Are you senior and involved in the commercial running of the practice.

3. Following on from this are you regularly out sick? regularly late? Do you have to do overtime or walk out the door at 5?

4. Does your boss see you at the firm long term?

5. Do you attract new clients or at the very least are clients complimentary about your work?

Anyway thats a flavour of some stuff to consider. I'm in practice myself and think these are important things to consider. There is alot more to it than having passed exams. Although obviously as a qualified professional there is a minimum expectation of a reasonable salary and you shouldn't be extorted either

@ Kennyb3

1. Practice is in county meath, Its a small practice with 2 partners and now 2 qualified accountants who just qualified recently.

2. The charge out rate is 55 euro per hour, so in about 1 year 70k + would be charged out from my work

I'm not a senior I just qualified

3. I'm rarely sick, about 6 days altogether in the past 4 years. I'm flexible with working hours

4. They said before they wanted to keep me on long term but they're actions speak otherwise as you can see from previous posts.

5. I brought in a client last year which resulted in nearly 10k of fees to the practice.

I spoke with the partners today and they explained to me that the money just isn't there to give me a pay increase, and that I should start looking for a job else where as they aren't in a position to be paying four qualified people now or anytime in the foreseeable future. So that what I'm gonna do.

The other person who works in the practice is being paid more but they're charging her out at the same rate and she brought in 0 fees in 2010, she started there a year before me, but only qualified recently too .....so I think I'm probably better off now that I know the situation and I'm not gonna waste anymore time there and pursue other options. I just hope I'll be able to find something else, something better, soon...

@ Kennyb3

1. Practice is in county meath, Its a small practice with 2 partners and now 2 qualified accountants who just qualified recently.

And I checked various salary surveys from ACCA and Brightwater recruitment and the average pay for the area and based on the number of partners in a practice, is around 39k.....so 23k is A LOT lower than the average.....they're just doing really bad at the minute and told me today that there's nothing wrong with my work and if they could keep me they would, they apologized numerous times, just that times are bad and they practice income can't support 4 qualified people....last in, first out!!! Just the way it is....

At least I know for sure now whats going on and not wondering...will i, won't i get a pay increase sometime in the future....just wish they were more upfront about the whole thing before now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hi Trophywife,

23k is very low, as others have said 30k minimum. At least they are being honest with you. Although i feel for you especially after bringing in extra income. My list was more of a generic list for everyone to consider.

Keep your eyes open, people say there aren't many jobs out there but there are for the right people. Did you qualify with CAI? If so their recruitment service is excellent - talk to Karin.

Regards,

Brian

I know its very low....just wanted to make sure I wasn't out of order asking for more. There is jobs out there but mostly in Dublin, which is a major commute for me as I live in Cavan. And I'm not really in a position to relocate, as I've a house here and a massive mortgage to go along with it, that I cant just walk away from. I'll struggle on and hopefully things will start looking up for me soon. Could be worse I suppose, at least I have a job for now and a supporting husband!!! I wont go hungry. Looking forward to the good times ahead...hurry good times, HURRY!!! lol

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Hi Trophywife,

Keep your eyes open, people say there aren't many jobs out there but there are for the right people. Did you qualify with CAI? If so their recruitment service is excellent - talk to Karin.

n

I'm IATI and ACCA.

I know its very low....just wanted to make sure I wasn't out of order asking for more. There is jobs out there but mostly in Dublin, which is a major commute for me as I live in Cavan. And I'm not really in a position to relocate, as I've a house here and a massive mortgage to go along with it, that I cant just walk away from. I'll struggle on and hopefully things will start looking up for me soon. Could be worse I suppose, at least I have a job for now and a supporting husband!!! I wont go hungry. Looking forward to the good times ahead...hurry good times, HURRY!!! lol

Would you think of opening your own practice? It would be tough starting off but it might allow you to work close to home.

There is jobs out there but mostly in Dublin, which is a major commute for me as I live in Cavan.

Funny. I am from Dublin, and was offered an accountancy job in Cavan. Can't decide now, will i manage with such a long commute.

Jannise wrote: »
    Funny. I am from Dublin, and was offered an accountancy job in Cavan. Can't decide now, will i manage with such a long commute.

There's a new motor way so you might not be so bad! Congrats! :)

• Advertisement

ssbob wrote: »
    Would you think of opening your own practice? It would be tough starting off but it might allow you to work close to home.

Maybe in a few years. Think I'd need a bit more experience before doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Galego

As a good accountant, have you considered the petrol/diesel consumption cost which you will have for a whole year commuting to Cavan?

With the experts expecting petrol/diesel to go up to 2 EUR/L at the end of this year.

Other considerations would be, car depreciation, cost of your free time, etc.

Galego wrote: »
    As a good accountant, have you considered the petrol/diesel consumption cost which you will have for a whole year commuting to Cavan?

With the experts expecting petrol/diesel to go up to 2 EUR/L at the end of this year.

Other considerations would be, car depreciation, cost of your free time, etc.

Actually the first thing i though about was my time, not so much about the petrol costs, as money is not everything and i can afford it. But i said no eventually, but because of the other reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Galego

Actually the first thing i though about was my time, not so much about the petrol costs, as money is not everything and i can afford it. But i said no eventually, but because of the other reasons.

Seems like a wise decision to me.

I have massive respect for heavy commuters. I just couldnt do it myself.

Back to the topic.

23k EUR is well underpaid for an accountant. I'd expect no less than 35k.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

Hey All,

I passed my last ACCA exam a few weeks ago. Will be applying for membership soon.

I waited a few weeks to see if any move was made by my boss on the salary front. There wasn't, so I went in to chat yesterday. I'm on my trainee salary from 2008 of 24,000. (no increases having passed 3 exams since then)

It didn't go as well as I thought it would have. She gave me the usual story of how times are hard, yet against this the practice (Co. Limerick) is growing and we have never been as busy in the 5 years that I have been here having taken on at least 8/9 new clients since January.
    Anyway, it ended with her saying that I am a valued member of the team and that she would review it but 'that there isn't much scope to work with'.

I'm more than disappointed...

santino wrote: »
    Hey All,

I passed my last ACCA exam a few weeks ago. Will be applying for membership soon.

I waited a few weeks to see if any move was made by my boss on the salary front. There wasn't, so I went in to chat yesterday. I'm on my trainee salary from 2008 of 24,000. (no increases having passed 3 exams since then)

It didn't go as well as I thought it would have. She gave me the usual story of how times are hard, yet against this the practice (Co. Limerick) is growing and we have never been as busy in the 5 years that I have been here having taken on at least 8/9 new clients since January.
    Anyway, it ended with her saying that I am a valued member of the team and that she would review it but 'that there isn't much scope to work with'.

I'm more than disappointed...

well you know what to do

go out to the market and see who will pay you what you are worth ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

Cyrus wrote: »
    well you know what to do

go out to the market and see who will pay you what you are worth ;)

Cheers Cyrus.
    To be honest, I was so sure of getting a (good) raise I hadn't even thought of looking elsewhere as I am reasonably happy where I am.
    It definately throws a spanner in the works.
    I'll look around, it's no harm to do that anyway...

santino wrote: »
    Cheers Cyrus.
    To be honest, I was so sure of getting a (good) raise I hadn't even thought of looking elsewhere as I am reasonably happy where I am.
    It definately throws a spanner in the works.
    I'll look around, it's no harm to do that anyway...

Hi Santino

I'm the original poster on this thread so you know my story.

Congrats on passing the exams!! A lot of hard work I know and now it seems that there no reward for it when salary doesn't increase. I know exactly how your feeling right now.

I've been looking around and I've 2 interviews set up for monday, one of them is a second interview and I think i basically have that job more or less. So I am really excited to be moving on as I dont think I got the appreciation I deserve from current employer. It'll be different walking into a place being qualified. You won't be seen as a trainee anymore, as I would have been if I was to stay where I am at the minute.

Its up to you whether or not you want to move. I see it as having studied for 6 years that I want to be rewarded financially for it and I deserve it. So I'd never be happy just to take what I was on when training. Entirely up to you though, but I am really excited to have new things around the corner...a career adventure!! Here I go!!! Best of luck in whatever you decide to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

Just a quick question for the OP and other posters here - how on earth did you work for €23 - €25k for the last 3 1/2 years let alone consider working for that much going forward?

Those figures are just ridiculous. I worked in a small practice in Meath for roughly a year when I was starting out and was on €23k,

I'm now a qualified AITI tax consultant with 1 years PQE, working in practice and currently doing my ACA exams. I'm earning almost double those figures you quoted plus study leave, tuition fees, exam fees and subscription fees etc... I'm also getting a few other benefits etc...

I'm working in a 5 partner firm with about 30 staff in total. We're probably a top 20 firm.

The market at the moment for a newly qualified tax consultant or tax consultant with 1 year PQE is roughly €45 - €50k in Dublin. In audit the market is in and around the €45k market. Tax consultancy tends to pay slightly more than audit for some reason.

You get what you fight for. If you sit there and take €23k then no one is going to come and give you €45k. At the end of the day your employer wants to keep his/her salary costs down. It's up to you to judge how far you can push the partner salary wish.

The trend in most firms in Dublin anyway is that you either move up or out when you qualify. It's up to you to decide whether you're going to move up or out. There may be no option but to move out.

One of the posters mentioned that they've taken 8/9 new people on over the last few months. Surely as an audit senior you should be looking to move up and manage those new trainees. Is there scope for you to take this role?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Well done OP for looking elsewhere, you clearly aren't valued where you are. As an employer even if things are tight after your customer your staff are your most important asset and if they are worth keeping they are worth paying better.
    A good employee will always bring in the business and cost less headaches. Pay the girl!

i think part of the issue is that smaller practices cant afford to pay the going rate,

however doesnt mean that its your problem, move on :)

• Advertisement

Definately time to move on.

@Shane....your very lucky that your experience of training and getting a good job was a relatively straight forward one. The country is going through hard times at the minute and jobs aren't exactly growing on trees round my part of the country, therefore the salary is less than what it would be in a big city, and I accept that. But regarding 23k, I know its too low, my employer knows that and thats why they advised me to go and get another job.

You asked how on earth did I work for that? Very easy...started off on 19k training and my expectation was that as I worked my way through the exams that my salary would increase accordingly, but that never happened. I don't mind having been paid that to date as I was able to live on it, quite well. My husband has a good job, we have a lovely house and a good standard of living, 5-6 holidays per year, a house in spain etc. You make it sound like I was working for nothing and was foolish and nieve to do it, but there was no other option!!! I am qualified now so in my opinion it was worth the sacrafice.

Its different for people who are working outside dublin. I could move to dublin and be on 35-40k staraight away but I'm not willing to give up my dream house, and relaxed standard of living to traffic jams and densly populated residential areas with people living in eachothers pockets. My husband is from Dublin and he would never move back. We paln to start a family in a couple of years and we want to bring them up in the small country town where we live. Dublin just isnt for us.

My problem was that my employer was refusing to increase my pay after i brought in fees of 9k last year, my colleague brought in 0k, she's being paid 2k more, we do exactly the same job and she's only qualified 6 months longer. They wouldnt put me up to her salary cos they want to force me to leave, perhaps to avoid paying me redundancy....!?!? So thats where my gripe is....I want to be treated equally. But that will never happen here...so I nearly have a new job. By the end of the week I'll know for definate.

Thanks everyone for all your helpful advice! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

Definately time to move on.

@Shane....your very lucky that your experience of training and getting a good job was a relatively straight forward one. The country is going through hard times at the minute and jobs aren't exactly growing on trees round my part of the country, therefore the salary is less than what it would be in a big city, and I accept that. But regarding 23k, I know its too low, my employer knows that and thats why they advised me to go and get another job.

You asked how on earth did I work for that? Very easy...started off on 19k training and my expectation was that as I worked my way through the exams that my salary would increase accordingly, but that never happened. I don't mind having been paid that to date as I was able to live on it, quite well. My husband has a good job, we have a lovely house and a good standard of living, 5-6 holidays per year, a house in spain etc. You make it sound like I was working for nothing and was foolish and nieve to do it, but there was no other option!!! I am qualified now so in my opinion it was worth the sacrafice.

Its different for people who are working outside dublin. I could move to dublin and be on 35-40k staraight away but I'm not willing to give up my dream house, and relaxed standard of living to traffic jams and densly populated residential areas with people living in eachothers pockets. My husband is from Dublin and he would never move back. We paln to start a family in a couple of years and we want to bring them up in the small country town where we live. Dublin just isnt for us.

My problem was that my employer was refusing to increase my pay after i brought in fees of 9k last year, my colleague brought in 0k, she's being paid 2k more, we do exactly the same job and she's only qualified 6 months longer. They wouldnt put me up to her salary cos they want to force me to leave, perhaps to avoid paying me redundancy....!?!? So thats where my gripe is....I want to be treated equally. But that will never happen here...so I nearly have a new job. By the end of the week I'll know for definate.

Thanks everyone for all your helpful advice! :)

Are you living in Meath? I live in Meath and have done all my life. I'd find it very hard to move to Dublin. Having said that Meath isn't that far away from Dublin, I work on the Southside and it takes me less than a hour to get to work most of the time.

I understand where you're coming from. Every time I passed exams I went in to the managing partner, sat down and discussed it and have managed to do ok for myself. On the other hand I suppose the partner could have told me to go and f*** off! I guess to a certain extent it's the naivety of my youth.

I'm currently having a level of difficultly in my place at the moment and there is certainly a lot of tension in my department at the moment. So all is not rosy! Hopefully in time this will pass, once we get a proper management structure in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Pablito Escobar

23k?? That's incredibly low for someone who is so qualified!
    I finished my training contract with one of the big 4 last Oct 31 and was on 41k (which I'm still on).
    My dept have hired about 5 people recently who would have just completed their contracts with smaller firms as they are quite understaffed. They are retaining people coming out of contract, but nobody wants to stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 trixabello

hope you get the job trophywife. Is it for a job in cavan with much better salary? Im a trainee in Meath at the moment, doing my FAE's this year. started on €16.5K and am now on €19K after pay cuts and mandatory increments. Recession is being blamed on everything even though the practice is bringing in plenty of new clients. I know people doing their FAE in our practice 2 years ago were on €26K. At least this is the last year and I can start looking elsewhere, nothing worse than working for a greedy employer!
    We put in plenty of overtime and get no bonuses, but suppose their high rate of staff turnover shows how badly they treat ppl...:rolleyes:

Hi Trixabello

19k is bad too. Its unreal how much they can get away with. There should be some sort of regulation over it, like FAS apprentices have a pay scale that has to be followed and they are paid according to the level they are at and get put up the pay scale as they pass exams. It should be the same for trainee accountants. We are being taken for a ride...I was looking for a job for ages and its only when I got qualified the job interviews started rolling in. I've had 3 so far and another one arranged for next wednesday. When your qualified you'll be able to move on no problem. So stick at it and get ur finals and the world will be your oyster!! lol :)

Shane732 wrote: »
    Are you living in Meath?

No I live in Cavan. Working in meath. After my I did my first exams I went to partners when I passed and expected an increase, I was told then it was annual review and had to wait. Then I got increase from 19k to 21k. Second year here they offered me 1k increase and this was when times werent so bad. I kicked up a fuss and managed to get to 23k. The third year, they were meant to give a review in July 2010 and still nothing, I asked a few times about it and they kept putting me off then it eventually came to me passing exams and then they still wouldnt give me anything. One good thing that they did do was give 1k bonus at xmas, it was great to get this but it still doesnt compensate for bad pay overall. The other trainee here was on 25k in her third year, totally unfair (to me as she was on 2k more) and she's still on that now and she's qualified.

I'm working an extra 5 weeks (no study leave) a year now with no pay increase....well hopefully I wont be here much longer but at the minute thats the way it stands....can't wait to get out of this place. As you can see I'm not exerting myself too much in work anymore...whats the point, i'll do the bog standard that I have to do but not going out of my way to impress anymore. Plus I've nothing to do anyway today, no work coming in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Have come to this thread late, but someone that takes 5-6 holidays a year is wondering why they are not considered as valuable?

Secondly, again we are only hearing one side of the story - to my mind the practice is paying the person more because they value them more and are happy to see the other person go. It's not rocket science.

smcgiff wrote: »
    Have come to this thread late, but someone that takes 5-6 holidays a year is wondering why they are not considered as valuable?

Secondly, again we are only hearing one side of the story - to my mind the practice is paying the person more because they value them more and are happy to see the other person go. It's not rocket science.

5-6 holidays a year....whats wrong with that? I take no more than my twenty days which I am more than entitled!! You are presuming I'm taking extra time off which I'm not. A holiday can be a weekend away not necessarily 1-2 weeks for each one!!

Maybe they do value her more, she's local and they knew her before she started working here. It doesnt mean I'm not as hard a worker!!! Again your presuming....!!!

Got bad news there from one of the job interviews, didnt get it. Fingers crossed my interview for next wednesday goes well....its closer to home and its a bigger company so might be better if I got that one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Again your presuming....!!!

Of course, that's all we can do. I've not even posted some of my other assumptions. :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement